Riders in Manhattan?

dmkun

I am looking to buy my first bike, most likely FZ6R, and wanted to know if there are any riders from Manhattan? I live in Chelsea and work in Midtown, would very much appreciate if someone can share tips and ideas on Parking around either of the two locations?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dmkun

Well i take the subway but right around where i work, on 51st btw 6th and 7th (across from Ted's Montana Grill) , I see 3-4 bikes parked during the entire work day along with a scooter or two.

danieljardim

Well i take the subway but right around where i work, on 51st btw 6th and 7th (across from Ted's Montana Grill) , I see 3-4 bikes parked during the entire work day along with a scooter or two.
My brother in law commutes every day from jersey to downtown. He said he always find parking space around his restaurant.

dmkun

Does he take off the license plate? All the bikes i see parked nearby have their plates off, because they are parked exactly between Commercial parking and NYPD parking zones. Does your brother in law park his bike at a legit spot in downtown? I doubt thats the case....

linkgt

Man I haven't even ridden in the outside boroughs. Cant imagine Manhattan...sry though, no advice from me :/

danieljardim

Does he take off the license plate? All the bikes i see parked nearby have their plates off, because they are parked exactly between Commercial parking and NYPD parking zones. Does your brother in law park his bike at a legit spot in downtown? I doubt thats the case....
Yes, As far as i know he only got one parking ticket and one ezpass ticket. He did whole season last year and doing this year again. I asked him he says he always find spots between cars.

dmkun

I will be picking up my FZ6R tomorrow. Riders in NYC: Can we plan something one of these weekends to meet up?

Anyone has any suggestions on monthly parking garages in manhattan? I am looking at one on 20th and 10th and others close by. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dmkun

I am now starting to notice a lot of motorcycles in the city.. especially a lot of Ducatis, Triumphs and Honda CBRs. I did however manage to spot a black FZ6R near West End and 85th St...anyone?

Yesterday I rode to work for the first time and then went for a ride after work, taking 10th ave up to 72nd and then hopping over to the Riverside Dr. and going all the way up to the Fort Tryon Park (Fort George). I must say anyone in the city or the outer boroughs should give this route a try..GW and Hudson views through out the entire route, amazing!

dmkun

one more thing: all the riders i saw yesterday were wearing t-shirts w/jeans, and some were even wearing shorts. Basically all they had on was a helmet, mostly one of those german helmets. I felt out of place but i don't see myself riding without my gear at all!

cmo1jf

This is a bit long but informative I promise.

I ride to and from school/work. I have the fz6 not the r but felt like joining here as well. I go to school at hunter and usually either leave her on park ave or on numbered streets and find a spot between 2 cars making sure that both cars have enough space to get out so they don't tip my bike over. I work farther up the upper east side and I favor parking between cars and the cross walk if I see that have enough space to get out but best place to park is next to another bike. Preferably one nicer than yours(makes yours less likely to get stolen or vandalized). Riding in the city isn't too bad I commute from queens and just pretend everyone around me is trying to kill me because those cabbies and stuck up girls are dangerous. I wouldn't remove my plates bc you never know if a cop is having a bad day and decides to have your bike impounded. Also if you're going to park in the city a front disk lock and alarm are wise. Even if just as deterrents. I use a cheap chinese alarm that makes annoying noises and works perfectly for my needs (I even use the remote start) http://www.dealextreme.com/p/125db-motorcycle-anti-theft-security-alarm-w-remote-controller-102920

Last edited:

dmkun

I see a 2012 FZ6R Raven parked between 6th and 7th av on 51st with NJ license plates for the first time today....anyone?

RandiZ

NYC parking tip

Do not park next to a storm drain. I learned why the hard way the other day. Had to give $175 to a locksmith to "fix" the problem. :mad:

dmkun

This is a bit long but informative I promise.

I ride to and from school/work. I have the fz6 not the r but felt like joining here as well. I go to school at hunter and usually either leave her on park ave or on numbered streets and find a spot between 2 cars making sure that both cars have enough space to get out so they don't tip my bike over. I work farther up the upper east side and I favor parking between cars and the cross walk if I see that have enough space to get out but best place to park is next to another bike. Preferably one nicer than yours(makes yours less likely to get stolen or vandalized). Riding in the city isn't too bad I commute from queens and just pretend everyone around me is trying to kill me because those cabbies and stuck up girls are dangerous. I wouldn't remove my plates bc you never know if a cop is having a bad day and decides to have your bike impounded. Also if you're going to park in the city a front disk lock and alarm are wise. Even if just as deterrents. I use a cheap chinese alarm that makes annoying noises and works perfectly for my needs (I even use the remote start) http://www.dealextreme.com/p/125db-motorcycle-anti-theft-security-alarm-w-remote-controller-102920
Thanks - I use this to lock the rear wheel against a planter rail or nearby pole when I can find one - works quite well though some times I feel the chain could have been a bit longer

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290DPS-22-Inch-9-Link/dp/B0009V1WQQ"]Master Lock 8290DPS 22-Inch 9-Link Street Cuffs Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I will look into an alarm system too; would be nice to have something like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scorpio-SR-i900R-Motorcycle-Alarm-4020-0052/dp/B001ALY14Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345899071&sr=8-1&keywords=scorpio+alarm"]Amazon.com: Scorpio SR-i900R Motorcycle Alarm - RFID Security System - 4020-0052: Automotive[/ame]

that triggers an alert within half a mile radius to the remote control. It is a bit expensive though.

IMO, riding in the city is no fun unless you are out early morning hours or after 10pm - especially CPW up, 5th ave down, riverside dr etc.. I Do Not like the cab drivers and I hate the pedestrians who cross on a green light while staring down at their phones. They never look and on top of that, they cant hear you coming - thanks to the stock exhaust! I been looking at Marthys and Two Bros exhaust; from a safety aspect, one of these is a must-have. I asked on a different forum which one is the loudest in terms of dB gain, think the answer was they are both the same.... But honestly, a 600cc bike should sound a bit louder than this. I am totally disappointed with this stock exhaust system.

Last edited:

Rookasaki

Anyone here from Linden, NY?

That's where I stayed for a week, and I saw a white FZ6R parked on the street. Just curious if it belonged to anyone on here.

dmkun

Anyone here from Linden, NY?

That's where I stayed for a week, and I saw a white FZ6R parked on the street. Just curious if it belonged to anyone on here.
I know Linden, NJ - dont know the about one in NY though....anyhow... Can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit:rolleyes:

Urbaninja

Hey @Dmkun i just picked up a FZ6r and i have a group of riders i ride with we riding this saturday if you wanna join let me know