Rider Down.

lytehouse

Super Moderator
Thanks, man. I'm actually thinking of the best place to donate the helmet. So that other, prospective riders might see it and understand what it means.

A few things you could do with your helmet:

*Flower Planter - flip it upside down, attach to a small, sturdy board to make the base, fill it full of dirt and plants and watch it grow
*Hanging Basket Planter - drill a few drain holes through the top (which will become the bottom), attach wires to form the hanger, fill with dirt and flowers
*Picture Frame - attach picture to inside of clear visor
*Lamp - find a lamp kit at your local craft store and outfit your helmet to light up your room
*Bird House - a bit of wood for the base to close it up, remove the visor and fill with moss and other nesting material
*Target Practice - old helmets make excellent targets
*Mailbox - affix the helmet bottom to a piece of wood, attach a flag to the side, and the visor becomes the mailbox door
*Desk Clock - find a clock kit at your local craft store and never lose track of time again
*Garage/Workbench Storage - seal up the base and use it as storage, just open and close the visor to retrieve your items
*Kitten Bed - remove the visor, place a fluffy blanket inside and form into a comfy bed
*Hamster/Mouse House - attach a piece of wood to the bottom for the base and fill with hamster bedding material, such as wood pulp
*Beach Cooler - flip upside down, place a plastic bag inside, fill with ice and steady in sand
*Donate it to the local EMTs or fire department to practice safely removing helmets when responding to crashes, etc.

D52

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I am glad you are still here to share your story. It's a stark reminder of what can happen to any of us and why personal safety should be paramount.

I have seen the consequences of non-ATGATT behavior firsthand when my squidy brother crashed his R6 several years ago wearing nothing but jeans, a t-shirt, and gloves. To this day I'm not sure what was more painful to watch; my brother writhing in pain in a hospital bed with asphalt embedded in his face and arms or my mother pacing the hallway, awash in feelings of helplessness and complete and total distress. (Thankfully, he got lucky and despite damage to his vertebrae, was able to mostly recover. He still has residual back pain, but won't admit to it.)

Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions in life, but I think some people fail to realize that their choices about how they ride can affect their friends and family just as much, if not more, than themselves.

I'm glad you made an informed choice and I hope your speedy recovery continues.

Brent27

Thanks. Sorry if i offended by my misunderstanding. Brent, sorry. I don't want to offend anyone, rather I hope that everyone here recognize what an accident is, and why ATGATT is the only way to go.

I'm currently on an LOA from work. Every little move hurts. I find new places that hurt every day. But I am getting better. I've got no bandages. No skin-grafts necessary.

The blood pooled inside my skull should be absorbed soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to be as coherent as possible.

Ya'll please forgive me if I drift off a bit, or seem confused. I should be in bed. I feel the need to share my experience so that other's might benefit.
No problem just glad you're ok and just concentrate on getting better. I know how you feel. I fell down a flight of stairs once and knocked myself out big time. You're going to feel off for a while.

Brent27

Thanks, man. I'm actually thinking of the best place to donate the helmet. So that other, prospective riders might see it and understand what it means.
Not sure how your state works, but in Ohio they offer an MSF class through the state that's cheaper than going to private motorcycle instruction classes so it's quite popular. When I took it they had a section on ATGATT and had helmets, rider pants, etc that they passed around for people to look at. They even explained what parts of a helmet does what. That would be the perfect place to donate the helmet to. That would be really impactful to new prospective riders.

Brent27

Not sure how your state works, but in Ohio they offer an MSF class through the state that's cheaper than going to private motorcycle instruction classes so it's quite popular. When I took it they had a section on ATGATT and had helmets, rider pants, etc that they passed around for people to look at. They even explained what parts of a helmet does what. That would be the perfect place to donate the helmet to. That would be really impactful to new prospective riders.
I just thought about this - ever think of donating your time to teaching some of those classes? I'm just thinking about your situation and how hard it may be coming back... it might be a good way to ease back into riding by spending a few weekends facilitating the classes. You'll be in a controlled environment, at slow speeds on a 250cc motorcycle easing back in while at the same time helping others learn and sharing with them your experiences. Win-win for everyone.

brownwa

I just thought about this - ever think of donating your time to teaching some of those classes? I'm just thinking about your situation and how hard it may be coming back... it might be a good way to ease back into riding by spending a few weekends facilitating the classes. You'll be in a controlled environment, at slow speeds on a 250cc motorcycle easing back in while at the same time helping others learn and sharing with them your experiences. Win-win for everyone.
Definite +1 on being an MSF instructor. Show your helmet to the class and they will become believers in ATGATT. Also a great way to ease back into riding while you recover. My MSF instructor was in his 70s and still rolling on his Harley.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member