Rider Down.

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Yeah. Me. Mr. SAFETY. Down.

Just going to work, not two miles from my house. Car before me is a long ways away. I'm just commuting. Came around a corner, and that car was stopped in the middle of the road. Just stopped.

Oncoming traffic cleared, and my thought was "OH Shit, they've stopped!" Contemplated going around, but that would have caused a slide beneath the car, so I tried to panic stop. I slid for about twenty feet.

Then I hit the backside of the car. I remember thinking that I'd I'd rather fly over than splat on the backside of that car.

So when the handlebars were literally ripped from my grip, I pushed up with my legs and managed to go over the car, rather than into it's back.

I did not splat. You all know me I'm ATGATT. I figured a nice little hit on the pavement and a slide, and my gear would soak up the kinetic energy.

Only it didn't happen that way. I made it over the car. I then landed on my forehead. Pretty much period. The rest of me just kind of flopped down after that.

Concussion, lost my two front teeth. My entire upper torso is beat to hell. My left inner thigh is bruised, my outside left knee hurts like heck. I hurt all over.

You know what, though? My brain did not splat on the pavement. I hurt and I am injured, but I am ALIVE.

Flying over a car and landing on your cranium without the gear? Yeah. If you can't paint that picture for yourself. I'd be happy to paint it for you.

ATGATT. I live. I might ride again. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Pictures and videos to follow.
Damn! That sucks! Really is a good thing you were wearing your gear! Hope you get better soon and can get back on the horse.

Just curious, were you wearing a full face? If so, howd you lose your front teeth?

lytehouse

Super Moderator
You have video? Excellent! Wonder why the hell were they stopped anyway?
Glad to hear you're not hurt worse.

Sorry to see this happen to anyone! Get well and take your time getting there!

I had to confirm Buzzbomb on 600riders.com was in fact someone else....

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

brownwa

Glad you're alright and were geared up. Even with +100 degree heat here I'm still in full gear, sweating like a hog.

Ok so I've read religious debates about braking versus laying the bike down in situations like this one. The argument for laying her down is that at least you'll be on the ground when you collide with the object. What is the consensus on this?

Also what is the correct way for laying her down? I'm thinking stomp on the back brake and lean over, bringing the bike down easy, and sliding feet first into the car?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Brent27

Glad you're alright and were geared up. Even with +100 degree heat here I'm still in full gear, sweating like a hog.

Ok so I've read religious debates about braking versus laying the bike down in situations like this one. The argument for laying her down is that at least you'll be on the ground when you collide with the object. What is the consensus on this?

Also what is the correct way for laying her down? I'm thinking stomp on the back brake and lean over, bringing the bike down easy, and sliding feet first into the car?
In my honest opinion I think that as much as people say they laid a bike down on purpose, 95% probably never meant to. I think a majority of people panic, grab too much front brake and end up laying it down unintentionally. It's easier to be macho and said you laid it down vs. you did so on accident.
Long story short, I'm not sure anyone honestly can say when/when not to intentionally.

Last edited:

Brent27

Glad you're mostly ok buzzbomb. I think you need to put that helmet in a glass box for display at home. It saved your life!!

Feel better soon!

lark

I'm glad that this post wasn't what I expected it to be, that you're alive, and that a concussion is the worst of it. Limited screen time (TV, phone, computer, books) etc is the biggest thing for concussion, as any mental strain will only make recovery worse. Good thing for the helmet, teeth can be replaced but there's only one of your face, ever! :) I am also curious how the teeth came out, but still... ick.

As for laying down the bike, I certainly did not do mine intentionally. I was swerving out of the way of a car coming for me and met with a very low curb I was not aware was on the side of the road. a little gravel/debris started the slide down and then the curb stopped it abruptly. I would be curious to know the procedure as well, just so it could float around in my head if ever need be.

Praise be to AGATT

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb