Ride On Clean Un-Lubed Chain to Warm It Up?

the8thst

Apparently the previous owner never once cleaned or lubed the chain during the 5400 miles he put on it. Because of that I just spent the last 2 hours cleaning the chain and sprockets.

I have seen that chain lube works best when put on a warmed up chain, but my chain is cold ofter cleaning it for so long.

Is it best to put the chain wax (PJ1) on the chain cold or ride around the block on a clean un-lubed chain to warm it up?

Sorry for the newb question. My last bike was shaft driven and this is the first chain driven motorcycle I have owned.

ignatz

When I clean my chain I'll usually ride through the neighborhood in a couple of gears then lube it, right around 1 mile with the route I take. It's been working well for me so far with just over 11k.

the8thst

When I clean my chain I'll usually ride through the neighborhood in a couple of gears then lube it, right around 1 mile with the route I take. It's been working well for me so far with just over 11k.
That's exactly what I did. Thank you and hopefully future cleanings will be a lot faster and less work if I keep up with them.

latony007

i dont mess with warming it up but i clean mine about every month so its never bad. PLus i use the 3 step process of cleaner , lube, wax. i just spin it good, let the lube sit for a bit and come back and do the wax

BIG O

I use Simple Green to degrease the chain.

I then wipe as much water off from the chain as possible.

I typically don't warm the chain up before lubing it.

I'll ususaly add a little more lube after my initial ride after cleaning.

Chain technology has incresed so much in the years that you can get away with much less chain maintenance and not jack your chain up.