Return to riding

popeye

Hi all ,new to the forum
I'm more than likely posting in the wrong forum here (sorry if i am).

Returning back to riding after a long and painful absence (15 years since i last got off my last bike )
I have been searching all over for info on the most suitable bike for me for the last two months and your forum is one of the many i have been checking out with great interest.

What are your thoughts on an FZ6r for my return to riding??

Any thoughts suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

popeye

Welcome from Tacoma, Washington. The FZ6R is the biggest bang for the buck on the planet. :)
Thanks mate

It's not the cheapest in the market but quite a lot of bike for the money when you compare it with some of the competitors (sfv650,er6)

The most attractive thing for me is the fact that it could easily get from LAMS to full power with a throttle plate replacement and a CPU bypass making it a bike that I could keep for a few years.
I suppose not an issue for the US riders as they don't have to go through the restricted power nonsense we do in AU.

Thanks again for the comment

rhnatyk

I was in the same situation. My last bike was an 82 Ninja 600 that I bought new and rode for about 5 years. So when I got the bug early this year I naturally gravitated to sport bikes. But at 59 years old, I felt that a full-on sport bike was just a little to extreme for me and I started looking for something a bit more relaxed. Long story short, I settled on a new 2009 FZ6R and it's been perfect ... plenty of power and sportiness but still comfortable to ride. It's a great bike.

CDN6R

Hello Popeye and WELCOME from Canada. I too had a long vacation from motorcycling (15 years) and was looking for a new bike. I was afraid that I would hve to settle for a cruiser because all the sport bikes I sat on were to high for my inseam. I had always had Super Sport bikes in my past,,with the last 2 being GSXR's. So it was great for me to find the FZ6R which was sporty enough (love the styling) handled well and gave great milage to boot. Also being a in-line 4 it was smoother than the Ninja 600,,ER600. Sure it doesnot have the power of the new 600 Super Sport bikes (GSXR,CBR-RR,R6 ect) but it has more than enough power for me to travel across the province on. I highly recomend the bike . Laurence (Laurie)Potter By the way I am 54.

its a great starter or commuter bike that has the power for highway trips and enough power to merge on a busy highway without a problem. its not a rocket per say like r6s, gsx-r's, or anything in the super sport class like that but this thing isnt slow. im averaging 300 km to a tank and i believe its a 10 l tank so im pretty happy about that because im usually not driving it nice all the time;) for a beginner it has enough power that when you launch hard the front wheel will come up 4-5 inches but not quite enough jamb to totally flip on you. which i think is excellent with me because im taking it to the drag strip for the first time in a few weeks and want do as well as possible without looking like a jackass and stalling at the line or flipping it and landing on my back lol.

popeye

i knew there are others out there with similar stories that is why i joined the forum ,thanks for the comments.

I went looking around at the dealerships and i all the ss bikes out there look great until you have a sit on them.
The idea of being crouched over the tank with my back at 90 degrees and my wrists supporting my weight is less than pleasing.Great bikes as they are but not for me.
Then there is the option of a cruiser but as my plan is to commute as well as tour it would be really awkward to wizz around on a 300kg bike.

And then there it was 2011 FZ6r in copper/raven as the salesman called it.
Have a go at that he says ,and i went on to do so.:):):)
Yep could not wipe the stupid smile of my face.

We have a special going on this month he says
AD$11,950 ride away and a full set of riding gear (Nolan n62 mystic,RST paragon jacket and pants, RST raptor boots and gloves)

Now the smile is bigger than my face.

The only problem is that my test is booked first week of next month.

If i can some how secure the deal without a licence i will be as happy as a pig in $#1t

i bought the fz6r before i got my license as well. shouldnt be a problem. i took my bike home in the back of a pickup truck. but not only because i had no license it was the middle of january with 3 feet of snow lol. bought i cant see that being an issue even if you bought it and the dealer had to set it aside somewhere for a week or 2 until your test.beware insurrance is much higher for someone without a class 6. mine was 1800 a year, then went for my license as soon as the snow was gone and it dropped to 900 a year(im age 20, im sure it wont be so bad for you)

ScottM

Popeye:

I was in a similar situation to you. I traded my last motorcycle for a boat 11 years ago and figured that I was done with motorcycles. I am 59 years old.

Younger neighbor got me thinking about motorcycles again.

Bought a 2009 FZ6R six months ago and I love it. My last one was a Suzuki Katana 1100 - big, heavy, comfortable and fast.

The FZ6R is small, light, comfortable and fast enough for me. Easy to get in an out of the garage and to handle in parking lots and it fits me and my short legs. I put on 1" handlebar riser for an even more upright position.

You wont be sorry if you get one.

J.J.

Good luck with the test & buying your bike!
My story is similiar to yours. Away from bikes for a few years. My last bike was a 89 Yamaha Radian & 92 Seca. So...started w/ a cheap, easy to sell Honda CM400 to see if I really want to do this. Rode that for a couple months. Was gonna buy a Versys but decided on the FZ6R. Its the smoothest, funnest, best bang for the buck on the market. Bar none!
Unfortunately I just sold it and went dual sport. My other hobby is very expensive (snowmobiling) and I committed to a new 2012 that is going to show up in Oct. That will cost some coin so something had to go.
I always pay cash for my toys.....
Good luck and have fun! I bet you will not be disappointed in your purchase at all. If I could have kept mine I would have it a heartbeat.