Replaced ignition barrel.. story

Wendigo

Hi folks!

This is my firs post on the group, so hello to everyone!

And from beginning asking for help. Here is a story..

My mate lost set of keys for my Fz6 and that would be fine in not the fact that some time ago I have lost mine first set of keys.. and that probably also would be fine if not the fact that my bike is fitted with Datatoll System 3 alarm... and we now have losted keys and both alarm transmitters...

We decided to work it all out ourself.. i think that's just another mistake in the row..

So we drilled all the locks.. I bought some used lock sets of ebay and put them all on... It was all good till I have noticed that ignition barrel connectors don't match each other.. they both male.. (looks like this was from an older version of fazer) and we have get ride off the old ignition barrel set some time ago...
well never mind we thought as we couldn't get anywhere male connectors we have decided to cut them all and solder them together matching colors...
that works... till we notice that we have been left with one cable going out from bike and not having a pair from ignition barre:eek:l... damn.. this cable is brown color if that helps anyone...

At this stage when you twist the ignition on, bike "respond".. it indicate that's in neutral, light are working, main beam/dip switch ok, horn... but no ignition and no indicators...

And we would happily play with those cables switching them around digging in service manual (if I only manage to get one) if no presence of an alarm from the other side..

At the end of the day alarm cut off ignition and manage indicators (when do its beep,beep) ...
my mate from other forum instructed me to disconnect transmission cables from alarm electronics which in his opinion should loop circuit and disarm alarm.. he claims that was the way he did with his alarm (same system).. it make no sens to me.. as i thought that circuit is close only when electronic system "alowes it" -but he insist that's the way he did it and it worked fine..

at the moment before i go any further (i bought new transmitter but of some reson can't programm them yet) i need to make sure what cause the fault that make bike not starting- alarm or not paired cable.

Is there any one out there who have experience in this matter or would be usefull with any other idea that could help. Please let me know..as we kind of hope less now.. :surrender:and still wanna DIY.

My bike is FZ6 2003 registred but this is an carburetor 2002 (i think) foxeye version.. and i think that ignition barrel comes from 99/00 bike.. but I am not sure again.

Thanks for surviving this. All the best

Wendigo

zig308

:liar:

You and your friend both "lost" the keys to your bike eh?

A Yamaha dealer would've been the first place I started to get a new key made.

Last edited:

cbzdel

check FZ6-Forum.com we are the "Z" forum for the new model bike 2009+

Chip

Wow, drilling and cutting ignition stuff sounds too risky. I think you should take it to Yamaha, they'd probably know what to do.