Removing tail "wing" - what are my options?

new2yam

Still eagerly awaiting delivery of my new FZR and I'm already itching to rip the tail wing thing off (why oh why did they do that?). I'm just wondering what my options are. I'll get a fender eliminator kit for the plate, but what's best to do with the turn signals? Get an integrated tail light, or track down less hideous traditional signal lights?

xleeb0y13x

That one seems a bit pricy even with the turns. The Motodynamics taillight is really nice. I hear its on back order at the moment. I have that the dmp fe kit and some simple led turns. The dmp kit was 50$ and the turns were like 20 or so.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379265728.930533.jpg

Sent while running with scissors.

new2yam

Thanks guys!

new2yam

Dmp also makes a integrated tail light that would be a option.

I thought about that. It would definitely look better. Unfortunately cagers in Seattle are notorious for distracting and half asleep driving. I feel like traditional blinkers are more noticeable. I may well go with both.

FastFreddy

I figured the tail was there for specific aero balance reasons. Shifts the center of aerodynamic pressure rearward for more stability.

The look on the guys face in the bike shop when I mentioned this seemed to me to confirm that the aero effect of the tailpiece is negligible.

xleeb0y13x

I thought about that. It would definitely look better. Unfortunately cagers in Seattle are notorious for distracting and half asleep driving. I feel like traditional blinkers are more noticeable. I may well go with both.
That's why I went with both. Any extra visibility is a good thing. Nice thing with the Motodynamics is you can get turn signal splitters from them to run both. Had to use wiring from the stock turns but install was easy and the small LEDs work great with the sequential lights.