Reflections at First Oil Change

HungryLikeMe

I performed my first oil change on my Fz6r this evening (the first bike I've ever owned), and am up to nearly 600 miles- in about two weeks of consistent riding. I thought it was a good time to post some early reflections on my experiences thus far.

The first thing: I love it. I try not to throw around the words "love" and "hate" too often these days, but I have seriously bonded with my bike so far. It likes going fast; I like going fast- the rest is just details.

Also, I hate my car now. It is so boring. What are those extra two wheels for? After riding, driving is like reading the book after you've seen the movie.

My gear collection is coming along. The pride of my gear is my pair of blue S-MX 5 boots by Alpinestars-the most expensive article of clothing I've ever owned. I have British Motorcycle Gear Thermosport gloves, which are perfectly snug and warm (when not too tight). My helmet is borrowed, but does the job for now- a black/white/silver sparx full-face. My jacket is new, but is really a placeholder until I get one I really want- it was $100 at a trade show, but is fully functional, with armor, a zip-out windbreaker underneath, and decent warmth and comfort. Helmet, jacket, and leg protection upgrades will likely be my next gear acquisitions.

I am in the baby stages of modding. So far, I have installed shogun no-cut frame sliders (one of which either was stolen or rattled off somehow). I put reflective blue wheel tape on last week, which I like, despite the so-so application job I did. I have a laundry list of potential mods I will be looking into, the first of which will likely be fender removal- Ick!

I've found this forum very helpful for questions I have had (thumbs up for the search function). I've also felt like, despite all the horror stories, the average cager on the road is not trying to kill me. I've actually had more courteous exchanges than near-death experiences at the hands of drivers, but I won't let my guard down. I'll still assume anyone behind the wheel is an evil demon in disguise, trying to lay my bike down for me.

I'm still a very new rider, but I have progressed hugely over the last few weeks. I would describe my riding style as cautiously aggressive. In wide-open straightaways, I have really cranked the throttle and gotten some speed, but I maneuver as safely as I can in traffic, actively scan both traffic and road conditions, and don't test the limits of my riding ability. I plan to leave a beautiful corpse, but not this beautiful!

I look forward to being on a bike the rest of my life, and am very pleased I ultimately chose the Fz6r. And that I actually pulled the trigger on the deal! I would probably be asleep right now at 2am on a Sunday night rather than on this forum if I hadn't bought it- how boring!

MikeN02

Nice write-up. I'm sure everyone was in your shoes once. I gave up my car so the motorcycle is my daily transportation. When I finally got back in a car to drive (it was storming) I nearly fell asleep because it was so boring.

It's amazing how people can have such road rage when they're in their fancy cage with a/c and music. While we're out here burning up and respecting the road.

At least you're wearing a helmet. Be sure to get a helmet in your size though, as it isn't as useful in a crash if it isn't properly fitted. Also make sure it hasn't gone down. A helmet that has fallen will weaken the material and won't protect your head as good.

I love to spend hours and hours on the forum each day looking at other people's bikes and look up the mods for it to do on my bike. Each mod displays your sense of style, and that's why I haven't gone clothes shopping in a while because I'm always spending money on my mods!
When installing the frame sliders, I would recommend you putting on thread locker such as loctite. I didn't think I'd ever need tread locker but I picked it up and it's one of my favorite "tools".

Remember, ride safe within your limits and always gear up.

Deanohh

I have survived 50 years on 2 wheels by always thinking that EVERY other driver on the road is deliberately trying to kill me. Dont let a few courteous ones fool you.

edk442

as the instructor in my safety course told us "a driver will look you in the eyes... and they will not see you"

slaythoven

After riding, driving is like reading the book after you've seen the movie.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I've been out riding everyday the temp gets above 45 degs (in this, my first season ever). The immediate transition from riding to being in a car is TOUGH.

I too have had some surprisingly courteous driver interactions, but I will also never let my guard down. All gear all the time.