Rear wheel hugger- Paint or Plastidip

jgelack

I want to install a Puig rear wheel hugger on my bike. Problem is, the hugger I have is a Gloss Black. My bike is the Pearl White, and there is no Gloss Black anywhere on the bike. So I think the hugger looks a little out of place. I was just going to sand it and paint it a Flat Black, then I thought, maybe I should Plastidip it. Never tried Plastidip before, so not sure how it would come out. Whick one would you guys recommend ? Sand and paint or Plastidip? Also if I decide to paint it, should I add a couple of coats of clear? or will that just bring back the Gloss? Thanks for your help.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

rregal

Gloss Black Puig Hugger on a Pearl White bike

I had the same dilemma with a Pearl White bike and a Puig gloss black hugger. The design solution I came up with was to make the front fender gloss black. I took my inspiration from the Triumph Daytona 675R color scheme. I also painted the lower section of the main fairing black (colorrite.com) after removing the black YAMAHA logo and replacing it with silver logo (ebay). I added a 3” red vinyl racing stripe also from ebay. The tank graphics are hidden with a white 3M plastic texture grip material procured from grainger.com.

Attachments

roundhouse

if you don't want a gloss finish i wonder what it would look like if you sanded it with 200 grit and sprayed it with a clearcoat?

roundhouse

200 grit will tear it up. Do you mean wet sand 2,000 grit? I probably wouldn't take sand paper to it, maybe rubbing and polishing compound on a fairly coarse wheel or pad.
sorry not really familiar with grits of sandpaper. just meant a fine grit to knock the sheen off then a matte clearcoat.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

jgelack

Try the plastidip. If you dont like it, peel it off. If you do use paint, I used to use a lot of Duplicolor, either their auto paint or high temp for metal. For what it's worth, the Rustoleum holds up MUCH better. I think the Rustoleum (at least the metallic stuff) comes out faster and thicker, but it's only slightly harder to spray with. Either way, good luck and post pics!
I think I will try the Plastidip first, since I can just peel it off if I don't like it. Couple questions about Plastidip. How durable is it compared to paint? Do I need to do any prep on the part prior to dipping, sanding, priming, ect.?

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

jgelack

Clean the part with soap and water and/or wipe down with alcohol and let air dry. When spaying the dip, don't go as light as you would with spray paint, give it two medium coats with about 15 minutes in between coats. After that you can go heavier but watch for runs.

Let it cure 1-2 weeks for maximum strength. Except for not having that glossy clear coat feel, my dip feels very similar to paint and is VERY durable, about 10 times more durable than I believed it would be. You want at least 5 coats for durability and ability to peel later.
Thanks Mistah T, that's exactly the info I needed. Thanks everyone for your replies.