Rear shock Race Tech Gold Valve

hfd1 tuner

Since the Instructions do not help at all.....The mechanic in me said wing it and see what happens.:D I have built several types of shocks but never tore apart a stock one like this.
The FZ6R has a pressure chamber inside it filled with Nitrogen. How they fill it is a mystery. They must have a pressure chamber prior to welding the lower mount on.
WARNING BE CAREFULL!!! IF YOU DO NOT RELEASE THE PRESSURE BAD THINGS HAPPEN.
This is a work in progress so I will revise as needed. The shock has a normal piston and a piston with the Gas pressure behind it in the bottom of the shock. This Gold Valve kit is NOT plug and play you will need to drill and tap/weld the stock shock. You will need a way to recharge the shock with gas by adding a schrader valve.
Now that I have gutted mine I know where to drill to vent the pressure just above the bottom shock mount. You can see where the factory weld spot is.Be mindful of the new location of the schrader valve with the stock preload adjuster need room to turn the adjuster...and not break off the new valve
Safety first it has pressure in it be warned 100-200 psi will scare you but glasses and gloves people are good. Just drill a hole in with a small drill bit you will hear a fissstt no big deal just have the gear on metal chip in the eye is bad for riding.
Now you can dissassemble like the instructons say and in the video they send with the kit. I am adding a remote gas chamber off a Fox Twin clicker shock I had laying around as an experiment. This will allow me to remove the stock gas piston....more as I get it back together today.
I also have a stock 2003 r6 shock that looks like it will work...and the FZ6R spring appears to be the same size around and lenght The FZ6R spring looks to have a heavier KG rating.It has rebound and compression adjusters needs to be shorter to work with stock exhaust. Project after I do the exhaust system. But I want to test out the Gold Valve in the stock one this weekend

Hellgate

Sounds like a challenging project, I wasn't aware that TR made a valve kit for OEM shocks. Any photos by chance?

Pathfinder

X2 on the photos. I wonder how the R6 shock with FZ6R spring will work on the bike. I bent the adjuster on my shock this summer and have yet to replace it. Please keep us updated.

hfd1 tuner

I will get some pics today the welding of the fitting bogged me down yesterday. Race tech has the gold valves for most shocks they are all about the same size piston. The R6 shock I have off a 2003 is 20 mm longer will not fit with stock pipe...swing arm hits the spring is softer as well....but I have a plan to shorten the shock shaft. Race tech has no starting point for the shim stacks....well they do now I spent some time with them on the phone yesterday. I am going to try a single stage setup for the compression and rebound. I think the R6 shock will be nicer but adding the remote reservoir the modded stock maybe good