Rear brake

bjs045

After taking a ride on my buddies cbr600rr (friggin awesome btw), I noticed how spongy/soft my rear break felt. Got my bike back from 2nd maintenance (had them check it out), it improved a little bit but not that much.

Anyone else notice this too? Is this just the characteristics of our rear break? Upgrade?

Spunky99

Stainless steel braided brake line will correct this..That and sintered brake pads.

husker525

The rear brake has a somewhat soft or spongy feel from the factory. It may be possible that your brakes need bled. This is a very simple procedure, and I would try that first. Steel braided lines help the feel about 25-40% percent, and changing to high boiling point brake fluid will keep them from fading under heavy use. I recommend both options for both the front and rear brakes.

I have changed out the fluid in the front brakes, and don't use the rear brake much, so I have left it alone. Just my 2 cents.

bjs045

Yeah the dealership bled them and it did improve about 50%. Never notice it being that bad until I rode my buddies bike. I just figured that's how it was.

Spunky99

Your buddies bike is $11,199.00 MRSP and I'd expect a few upgraded goodies to come on it as stock as compared to our lowly little FZ6R at $7490.00.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I'm not sure whether it's the case or not, but it's possible that the brake systems are entirely different. The CBR may have a larger brake disc, or it may have more pistons in the calipers. I don't know if that's true, but it's apples and oranges for sure. :don'tknow:

ry-mac75

I thought about switching to a cbr... but the second i sat on it - i hated it. If you're anywhere near 6 ft, it's just uncomfortable to sit on. Great speed or whatever and yeah, the brakes are superior... but you couldn't give me one of those.

I actually don't mind it being a bit spongey... but that's just me.

Spunky99

I thought about switching to a cbr... but the second i sat on it - i hated it. If you're anywhere near 6 ft, it's just uncomfortable to sit on. Great speed or whatever and yeah, the brakes are superior... but you couldn't give me one of those.

Ya...the SpongeBob effect on the rear brake is cool, keeps ya from locking it up so much. I will be going to the SS braided front brake lines tho as having better clampers on the front end is safer.

MikeN02

You can take it and give it to me! I have plenty of uses for a motorcycle.

I was planning on changing to SS brake lines as well.

CDN6R

Stainless steel braided brake line will correct this..That and sintered brake pads.
John,, Don't sintered brake pads(because of the amount of metal in them) cause rotors to wear out faster? In the "OLD" days I used to buy asbestos brake pads for my car so that my rotors would last longer.

Spunky99

The only thing I worry about is overheating the rotors and warping them.
Done that on cars before and it sucks on a bike trying to stop with an unstable shake going on.

Maybe I'll stick with stock brakes...Anyone else got any opinions on this?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard only good things about the EBC brake pads, though I have no experience with them myself.

husker525

Sintered brake pads are more designed for wet or muddy conditions. They do have a tendency to put more wear on the rotor than a normal asbestos style pad. With that being said, actually warping a bike rotor or wearing one completely out, would take some extreme abuse to do.

Carbon pads are the way to go. Great stopping power, great feel, and minimal wear on the rotors, but a little more expensive. EBC, Galfer and Streamline are all OEM +1 additions. As with any brake pad change, proper bedding or 'seating' of the new brake pads is important, to offer the most life, and proformance.

Spunky99

Sintered brake pads are more designed for wet or muddy conditions. They do have a tendency to put more wear on the rotor than a normal asbestos style pad. With that being said, actually warping a bike rotor or wearing one completely out, would take some extreme abuse to do.

Carbon pads are the way to go. Great stopping power, great feel, and minimal wear on the rotors, but a little more expensive. EBC, Galfer and Streamline are all OEM +1 additions. As with any brake pad change, proper bedding or 'seating' of the new brake pads is important, to offer the most life, and proformance.
So where are these carbon brake pads available for the FZ6R?

husker525

So where are these carbon brake pads available for the FZ6R?
http://www.indysuperbike.com/Isb1/Galfer_Brake_Pads_Yamaha_FZ6R__Rear_p_1216912.html

Yamaha FZ6R (FZS6Y) 2009 EBC Brake Pads: eBay Motors (item 280527974486 end time Jul-29-10 20:20:50 PDT) Just as an example

You can also find them doing a search for EBC Carbon X brake pads. Be careful, because some companies market Carbon under Sintered Carbon, which is slightly different than just some "sintered pads". Sintered Carbon is fine, Carbon is fine, and personally, I would stay away from just sintered.

Last edited: