Raising Bike back to Stock / OEM

XpL0d3r

Hi All,

Picked up a 09 FZ6R last August. It's lowered (among other things). I don't like that.

Going back to OEM height, so I just want to confirm that I'm getting everything I need to do this properly. Parts and procedure. I do not have an owners manual.

Rear should be all set. Lowering link removed.

Front is where I am not sure and could use some assistance.

I just bought OEM risers, and currently trying to source a handlebar to get rid of the clip-ons. Is these parts all I need at this point to bring it back to stock height?

Also, per my intro thread > here <, some suggestions were given on how to get the bike lifted to do the work performed. I want to confirm that these suggestions are the way to go, before digging into it. I'm mechanically savvy when it comes to cars, but working on a bike is new to me.

Thanks!

MrFrzZ

Hi All,

Snip
I'm not sure if a regular fork Stand works on our bikes. If you dont go the way of supporting it from above with a chain or heavy straps, I would give T-Rex racing a call and explain what you wanna do and ask if one of their fork stands will work for you. If the fork stand works, you SHOULD be able to loosen the triple clamp bolts and the forks will simply slide back down to where they need to be. But you'd have to buy a fork stand or find someone with one. (track day forums sell parts like this all the time - someone has one somewhere for cheap ;) )

you mentioned that you didnt like that it was lowered. its not so much that the bike is lowered, but its that yours was lowered too much. You have clip ons which required the bike to be lowered a minimum of 1.5" in the first place, but beyond that, it looked like you had another inch at least of fork sticking out from the top of the clamps. This no doubt made the bike feel unstable at turn in.

Either way,
You're on the right track. Risers, and bar, and you should be good to go. Just double check throttle cable. I had issues with mine and I only lowered my bike 1.5" so the previous owner MAY have put a different cable on it. I'm not sure if thats the OEM kickstand either, but once you raise it back up to OEM height, it will lean much further over, so that may be something to pay attention to.

XpL0d3r

I'm not sure if a regular fork Stand works on our bikes. If you dont go the way of supporting it from above with a chain or heavy straps, I would give T-Rex racing a call and explain what you wanna do and ask if one of their fork stands will work for you. If the fork stand works, you SHOULD be able to loosen the triple clamp bolts and the forks will simply slide back down to where they need to be. But you'd have to buy a fork stand or find someone with one. (track day forums sell parts like this all the time - someone has one somewhere for cheap ;) )

you mentioned that you didnt like that it was lowered. its not so much that the bike is lowered, but its that yours was lowered too much. You have clip ons which required the bike to be lowered a minimum of 1.5" in the first place, but beyond that, it looked like you had another inch at least of fork sticking out from the top of the clamps. This no doubt made the bike feel unstable at turn in.

Either way,
You're on the right track. Risers, and bar, and you should be good to go. Just double check throttle cable. I had issues with mine and I only lowered my bike 1.5" so the previous owner MAY have put a different cable on it. I'm not sure if thats the OEM kickstand either, but once you raise it back up to OEM height, it will lean much further over, so that may be something to pay attention to.
Great, thank you for the information! The biggest issue with the bike being as low as it is, is the brake line hits the body when turning.

Will look into everything mentioned and go from there. Will update.

kinggargantuan

Hi All,

Picked up a 09 FZ6R last August. It's lowered (among other things). I don't like that.

Going back to OEM height, so I just want to confirm that I'm getting everything I need to do this properly. Parts and procedure. I do not have an owners manual.

Rear should be all set. Lowering link removed.

Front is where I am not sure and could use some assistance.

I just bought OEM risers, and currently trying to source a handlebar to get rid of the clip-ons. Is these parts all I need at this point to bring it back to stock height?

Also, per my intro thread > here <, some suggestions were given on how to get the bike lifted to do the work performed. I want to confirm that these suggestions are the way to go, before digging into it. I'm mechanically savvy when it comes to cars, but working on a bike is new to me.

Thanks!
which links were installed on yours? my '09 appears to be lower than my nephews '13 but I'm not sure where the links are. I did see a video for a kit that mounts to the top of the shock, under the front seat. I havent pulled the seat off yet to verify if that spot is using a stock mount or a lowering kit.

I dont see the dogbones anywhere, but may be looking in the wrong place