R1 awful exhaust sound...

AL72

abyss1406

flyingminno

I believe it's a love or hate thing. Personally, I absolutely love the sound of the cross plane crank exhaust. My current bike has a similar, unique and throaty exhaust note that I love.

But I will admit, the inline 4's sound much better under high rpm stress; you can hear the difference from when the R1 passes first, to the inline 4 bikes. http://youtu.be/QflahNQMOgM

AL72

I believe it's a love or hate thing. Personally, I absolutely love the sound of the cross plane crank exhaust. My current bike has a similar, unique and throaty exhaust note that I love.

But I will admit, the inline 4's sound much better under high rpm stress; you can hear the difference from when the R1 passes first, to the inline 4 bikes. http://youtu.be/QflahNQMOgM
Nice video, the R1 passes at 1:50 isn't it? We can't deny that the Crossplane technology it is very efficient, Yamaha uses it in the R1, FZ09, and the new FZ 07, and in the Super Tenere 1,200cc. parallel twin (I did not know that). But I prefer the traditional L4 engine sound :D

Regards!

Bert-Aus

Crossplane is an Inline 4!
It is just the timing sequence for the cylinders, crankshaft and counter weights are balanced beautifully

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

AL72

Crossplane is an Inline 4!
It is just the timing sequence for the cylinders, crankshaft and counter weights are balanced beautifully

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Yep! the "Crossplane" it's an inline 4, with an uneven firing interval and a different crank degrees than a traditional inline 4. Although this technology also applies to parallel twin or inline 3 engines.

Regards!

Detrich

I love the sound of the Crossplane- esp at high RPM's. There's no other engine that sounds like it... It sounds like one of the pods from the pod race in SW | Phantom Menace. lol...

I'm also into rotary engines too, so I tend to like things that are more unique. Everyone has different tastes, which is why there are so many choices. :)

FastFreddy

Would you believe that crossplane cranks (R1) and offset cranks (ZX10R) were in use in steam engines over 100 years ago.

I'm surprised a 4 cylinder car hasn't come out with a crossplane crank.

I like the sound personally (sounds a bit like a chev V8), though I realise that at high rpm, the flat plane crank has less pumping losses.

I can't wait to see the new R1, I believe the underseat exhaust will be gone.

I love 4 cylinder motorbike engine sounds in general, sounds like a highly tuned race engine to me. I love the burble of the FZ6R when you shift down while gently braking to a stop or when you give it full twist from 8000rpm.