Question not related to FZ6R.

Sirnice

Question about Tax/Tag/Title

Hope someone know the answer.
A friend purchased a used vehicle. Vehicle was paid for and seller signed over title (Bill of sale was signed and notarized). My friend went to the DMV and get the title transferred to his name, new car registration and getting a temp tag to get it inspected (also paid insurance for next 6 months)

Problem: The car did not pass inspection but seller offered to take it back and refund the same amount. But my friend already spent well over $1500 for Tax, Tag/Title/Inspection/Insurance.
This is in Maryland.

Question: If he returns the car, will he be able to get refund from the DMV on Tax/Tag/Title?
(I know inspection is a paid service so thats gone. Insurance will refund the amount not used.)

Thanks

Last edited:

yfz6r

That is extremely generous of the seller to buy it back. Your friend won't get the tax money back. The insurance can be transferred to another vehicle but not sure if they will refund it.

Call the insurance company, tell them the situation. Then call DMV and see if anything can be refunded on their end. Don't count on it though

Sirnice

That's because my friend made a mistake by trusting what the seller said about the car instead of inspecting it first. Seller was very convincing that the car will 100% pass inspection and appears to be in perfect from the outside if the car has been abused. I guess you can't tell from the outside:eek:

That is extremely generous of the seller to buy it back. Your friend won't get the tax money back. The insurance can be transferred to another vehicle but not sure if they will refund it.

Call the insurance company, tell them the situation. Then call DMV and see if anything can be refunded on their end. Don't count on it though

CrazyCawi

what caused it not to pass?

Sirnice

A few things but main thing is Rotors and brakes need replacing.

Possible major headache in the future is oil is visible on the engine block cover could be oil leak but car runs fine and was not the cause of the failed inspection.
what caused it not to pass?

Fenixgoon

A few things but main thing is Rotors and brakes need replacing.

Possible major headache in the future is oil is visible on the engine block cover could be oil leak but car runs fine and was not the cause of the failed inspection.
definitely nice of the seller to offer to buy it back.

why not just work out a deal with the seller for covering the cost of repairs? brakes and rotors aren't much for your average vehicle. gasket replacement (assuming that's what it is) could be a bit more labor intensive and therefore, more $$

Sirnice

It's BMW brand so any repair will be high. I agree it is nice of the seller to offer a buy back but at the same time, I would feel guilty selling a car I praised about and can't pass inspection. I would definitely offered to pay for any repairs required to pass the inspection rather than a buy back.

definitely nice of the seller to offer to buy it back.

why not just work out a deal with the seller for covering the cost of repairs? brakes and rotors aren't much for your average vehicle. gasket replacement (assuming that's what it is) could be a bit more labor intensive and therefore, more $$