Question before purchasing this particular bike online

redprodigy35

A fellow Jersian!

Let me know if your ever down for a ride.
Also if there is a bike in the North NJ area you'd wanna take a look @, I'd be happy to assist a fellow forum member. Not that I am a mechanic, or experienced, but I figure 2 heads is better than 1.

There is also a Buying a Used Bike Checklist I believe over on the Sports Bike Network Forums. Just run a google on it.

I'd really heed the advice of everyone on here as far as that auction-franken bike goes.

I'm with Mike-- I just have a FEELING that bike has a bent frame.

I just have a FEELING that bike has a bent frame.

Scratch that bike :). I'm looking at other ones now.

Yes, I am in Northern NJ. I still haven't found anything local yet. If I do, I'll let you know!

I did find this bike on CL though.

Yamaha FZ6R 600 2009

I'm getting pictures, but the seller asked me if I wanted him to take specific pictures. I just asked for the scratches. Waiting on more photos.

"It's been laid down once, going like 15mph. No major crash or damage."

I'm not sure about this one either. My gut feeling isn't great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Detrich

run a vin and a title check on it and see what turns up. but, be very very careful before buying something like this over the internet. local is always safer.

nucmedman63

Hey Sampson one thing I have found out is make sure you look at the title and make sure it dosn't say "salvaged title" if it does that means the bike was classified as a total loss and to banks and dealers its only worth half its real value.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

fz6r_zer0

It's best to avoid generalizations like this unless you have numbers to back them up. In another forum I read, there are a crapload of people who swear by 250s well past "beginner" stage.
My apologies. :surrender:
You are right I shouldn't generalize like that. I should say in my experience and reading around. But some people do love their 250s! A lot more goes in to account as well such as your body type and riding style.

Good luck finding your perfect ride Samson!

ajskillz13

Try Cycle Trader. I already found two yellow ones that are like new for under 5k. I'd stay away from Craigslist unless it's local and you can go see it.

Yamaha Fz6r Motorcycles

On further digging... just found a yellow one in FL for $3,990 who is willing to ship.

Shop harder before you settle for someone else's garbage!!! ;)

ajskillz13

Yamaha Fz6r Motorcycles

Here you go... hand-fed from me wasting time at work! 13 listings under $5,000. I already see 2 that are old FZ6's and 1 with mis-matched fairings, so avoid those. That leaves you TEN reasonable looking options!

Good Luck!

Okay, so I have a question guys....

2009 FZ6R with 4k miles on it in EXCELLENT condition with very decent tire tread left for $4700.

The only mod it has on it is a gear indicator.

Do you think it's worth bargaining with him to get it lowered? Is this an average price? Do the prices drop even more when winter comes?

I'm not in a HURRY to buy, but I wanted to snag a deal if I could.

Sparkxx1

Okay, so I have a question guys....

2009 FZ6R with 4k miles on it in EXCELLENT condition with very decent tire tread left for $4700.

The only mod it has on it is a gear indicator.

Do you think it's worth bargaining with him to get it lowered? Is this an average price? Do the prices drop even more when winter comes?

I'm not in a HURRY to buy, but I wanted to snag a deal if I could.
If he has all the maintenance receipts and the bike looks clean then maybe. I might ask for $4,500 just to see what can be done though. Can't really say much without pictures or seeing it in person.

Pictures! Oh, and by the way, we haven't discussed price because he is getting the title from the bank within 10 days. Should I start by asking for $4300?

Last edited:

the_cr

I always love seeing the shined tires on bikes or any vehicle really. people will wash and polish and maybe even wax a bike to make it look pretty, but some of the cleanest bikes i've seen are the ones with shined tires. Usually (READ USUALLY) indicates someone who cares about their machine.

Look for the usual scratch hot-spots (bar ends, mirrors, crankcase, brake/clutch levers, foot pegs, turn signal plastic). You're always ok to ask for a lower price unless the ad says specifically "will shoot anyone who tries to barter".

With a private sale you might start $500 less than asking price, HOWEVER, I says having much less experience than others here.

Good luck!:thumbup:

I'm a horrible barterer. If I ask 4200, and he says no. What, am I just going to say 4300? Haha.

The good news is, he is a nice guy (from what it seems) and has taken the bike off the road so he doesn't put more miles on it. He is selling it because he is getting married.

Title is clean. It has had regular 1k mile services/tuneups. It needs an oil change he recommends. That's all I really know so far.

Last edited:

the_cr

You can give him the life story about how you're a little strapped for cash and would he be willing to part with the bike for $4200 (you can't be singing the bike's praises while you do this, if he knows you want it you're SOL). He probably won't say no straight out, maybe something along the lines of "he was hoping to get $4700" or the classic "I think $4700 is fair".

If he won't go there, you can ask if he'd be willing to meet you somewhere in the middle.

It isn't a script and you don't need to get too niggly over the exact dollar amount, but you can try a couple times to get him to meet you inbetween your two offers. Doing this more than 2-3 times may be excessive, provided the bike really is already at a fair price (I don't know what is fair for you guys down there).

If its out of your price range then mentally prepare yourself to walk away but it always helps to keep things pleasant. If you can't get it now there's always the possibility he would call you back later and accept your offer.

If $4700 is acceptable for you then keep that in mind before trying to pinch every nickle and dime. Remember that it's clearly something that he's cared for and, if the reason he's getting rid of it is true, he probably isn't mentally prepared to sell it.

Either way, make sure you know your $$ cut-off and don't exceed it. You want to be happy with this purchase.

I'm prepared to spend $4700. In all honesty, I'd feel a lot better if I got it for $4500. It's only because I'm a TAD short on cash and basically I'm filling the gap with a cash advance from my credit card. So, every hundred I save is a huge plus for me...since I'm only taking out about $700 in a cash advance.

I think he knows I want the bike. I told him to hold it for me haha.

the_cr

fair enough, an ideal area to use the "meet me in the middle" bit ;)

apart from that as long as it still looks to be in good shape, runs good, etc, have fun and let us know how it goes!

oldtouring b

How about asking..

"How much wiggle room is in your price?" If he says none then you know. If he says a little that means 3 hundred normally. If he says make me a offer that could be a grand!! If the bike is super clean with no damage and you like the seller and his home, then buy the bike. After 100 miles on it you will forget about 200 dollars.

If you buy the bike--wash that shiney crap off the tires!! Good luck..

Last edited: