Question about Dogs

dawg

I'm thinking about getting a black labrador puppy, and wondering if its ok to keep them outside in the backyard all day once they get older?

It would be fenced in and I would get some type of dog shelter. I'm out of the house from 8am until 6 or 7pm and I would be worried inside alone it would tear up the furniture and stuff but once I'm home I would have it inside the house with me. And if it is ok... even during summer and winter?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I never had a dog before.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dawg

Thanks for the info.

If I get a doggy door going to the backyard would it be ok, or is 10 hours still too much to keep it alone?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

VRIIClubby

My suggestion would be to crate train the dog from the start
Please dont take this the wrong way, but how the HELL can putting your dog in a CAGE ALL DAY be good for it's mental health?

I'm aware that in other countries this is a well practised routine, due to environmental issues etc etc, but caging something IMHO is not being responsible. You are locking something up to suit your routine.

With a child, do you just leave it in its cot all day so you can go about your day? Or would you construct some super cage that has a slide and thinkthats a ok?

I have three Boxers, Boxers are notorious for Heat Stroke and Hyperthermia, they ALL live outside 24/7, the weather here goes from 45c (113F) in summer down to -3c (26F) overnight in winter.

If you provide shade and fresh cool water a dog will not overheat. If you provide a kennel that suits the dogs size, maybe even a coat on chillier nights then the cold will not affect them. There are lots of products like warmed pillows and cool beds for dogs and cats etc to provide more comfort.

Unless you have wild animal issues like some places (big cats, bears etc) then I see no reason why they cant be outside? They where once WILD animals that lived long before air conditioning and brick veneer houses!!! Would you prefer to roam around your backyard basking in the sun, smelling all those wonderful scents all day or locked up in a cage in the loungeroom waiting for someone to come home and let you out for a piss?

just my 2 cents! Caging to me is as bad as cropping ears and docking tails. :mad:

dawg

Interesting, I didnt even think of that. I guess its all about the training when they are young. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 9794

Why do you want a dog (and why a lab specifically)? Companionship, protection, security, experience, etc? I'm just curious...it may influence the recommendations and advice you get.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dawg

Why do you want a dog (and why a lab specifically)? Companionship, protection, security, experience, etc? I'm just curious...it may influence the recommendations and advice you get.
I would say companionship and the fact I love animals. I had cats growing up and always feel attached to labs when I see them from friends or strangers.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dawg

How do you find a specific type of dog from a shelter? And not to be a wuss, but I don't think I could handle going to one.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

VRIIClubby

Maybe look up Lab rescues or search local shelters online. They may list the dog breeds or have photos.
This was to be my next bit of advice, Puppies (esp Lab's) require so much attention in the early years to stop bad behaviour.

An adult rescued dog would be great! If you really want a lab there would be lots of Lab rescues, If yousent them an email saying you were looking f0or one, they would be very quick to locate one for you!

good luck! I love my "furkids", My oldest ***** i call my "true wife" - she is the only one that actually listens to me! lol.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

BKP

I 2nd a rescue... I've never been without pets (cats/dogs) for the last 40 years, and the best I've ever had were rescues.

I also 2nd a more mature dog. You simply don't have the bandwidth to raise a pup being gone 10 hours a day... Not fair to the pup.
Labs happen to be well suited to cold weather, but, 10 hours a day in a Toronto winter means you need an insulated dog house, with a doggie door. And, you have to think about how to keep that *necessary* ever-present bowl of water from freezing. A doggie door into your house would be a better solution.

Think it through before you commit to this. Too many shelter animals are the result of well-intentioned owners without a clue of what it takes to raise/keep an animal...

roundhouse

i wouldn't get a puppy unless you have time to train it. being gone for 9-10 hours a day with a puppy in the back yard will lead to horrible habits that you don't have time to break.

i got my lab from the pound, he was around a year old. now 10. easy to train.

worked with the humane society of flower mound for 7 years. the biggest reason for people to owner release dogs to the HSFM or the municipal animal shelter was because the dog was uncontrollable from not being trained properly.

even if you crate train 9 hours is too long for a puppy to go without a potty break so it will never learn from the experience.

if people get a puppy and raise it in the back yard they cease to play with it as its bad habits are too much to bear.

Attachments