Purchasing a new car...

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

I am going to be buying a new car here shortly. I have it nailed down to either a Toyota Prius or Mazda CX-7. I've done research on both but was just wondering if anyone here has first hand knowledge on either vehicle that may help me with my decision. Thanks.

Funkmaxtor

I have an 07 prius and I love that car. Obviously not a sports car by any mean but a very reliable, comfortable and fuel efficient car. The new Prius is even better. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

cbzdel

Personally I think the CX7 looks WAY better than the Prius. Plus I have been a huge mazda fan since I once owned a Mazda3 which I owned for a little over a year then was totalled :(

bmw675

stuna

i have a customer of mine that has a prius . 250.000 mi on it . now this is back road rual mail route use . work done to it .............. very little :eek:

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

I'm just not a truck guy. SUVs and cars are what I like so that's what I'm going to get. Ford Escapes were on my list for a while too but I like the Mazda CX-7 better.

Last edited:

gearhead

I was issued a brand new Prius earlier this year as a work vehicle and I absolutely hated it. I was able to trade a fellow employee their 265,000 mile beat-to-death Ford Ranger and was much happier.

I ran across a couple videos from Top Gear that pretty much sum up this car (IMO!):
Top Gear - Toyota Prius

An earlier review by the Top Gear crew of the Prius:
Top Gear - Toyota Prius

I like the discussion regarding the "Green-ness" of the car's manufacturing:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk&feature=related]YouTube - Prius More Enviromentally Damaging Than BMW M3[/ame]

I had this same experience trying to go up a similar hill covered in leaves:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52iW82dupM&feature=related]YouTube - Prius in Winter.wmv[/ame]

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I almost bought a CX-7. We loved that vehicle when we drove it. It is extremely agile and nimble for an SUV. Plus we liked all the features that it has to offer. The only reason that we didn't get it was because they wouldn't give us what we wanted for trade-in on her car. In fact, we are considering getting rid of her new car now and getting a CX-7 again.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

Thanks all for the input. I'm not going to make the purchase until I get settled at my new base Jan 4ish. The CX-7 definitely does have looks over the Prius and I'm hopeful that I may be able to tow my bike on a trailer with it. The Prius does have better gas mileage though which would be helpful in the fact that I will be driving home more often now. I just need to make up my mind now.

gearhead

Toyota RAV4 is similar to the CX-7. Also, the Subaru Outback has some very nice features that are standard (all-wheel drive, full power seats with butt-warmers, power everything, etc.) for about the same price. We bought ours for $21,000 and have had up to 33 mpg (across Arizona behind a U-Haul) but average 26.5 mpg with an even mix of city and highway driving. This car does great in snow and icy conditions around Mt Shasta. 5-star safety rating. It comes with a free "Neo-hippy" status if you live in the Northwest! :eek:)

The women on Weeds has a Prius! Not going to help your decision at all, but it is a good show!

CGENGO

New car- check out this one

We shopped and drove many, many cars as we were getting rid of the Mini Cooper S (fun, but pricey repairs and not hardy enough for my abuse! :p) We selected the Honda Civic SI.....WOW! Great mileage, fun to drive, 6 speed, roomy, nice looking, etc, etc. Check it out!

pyrocpu

Personally, I'm against all Toyota/Lexus/Scion products. Look at all the news on the "unintended acceleration" issue. Don't forget the recent recalls for other things that Toyota had in 2009. It's so disappointing to see them cut corners, resting purely on their name to sell vehicles. Such arrogance? Forget Toyota.

If you want something sporty that can haul stuff, and has decent fuel economy, I'd suggest a Nissan Murano. Unless you NEED the three-rows that I think the CX-7 has, the Murano is a bit more upscale. That will be our next vehicle, for wifey. I think. :)

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

Personally, I'm against all Toyota/Lexus/Scion products. Look at all the news on the "unintended acceleration" issue. Don't forget the recent recalls for other things that Toyota had in 2009. It's so disappointing to see them cut corners, resting purely on their name to sell vehicles. Such arrogance? Forget Toyota.

If you want something sporty that can haul stuff, and has decent fuel economy, I'd suggest a Nissan Murano. Unless you NEED the three-rows that I think the CX-7 has, the Murano is a bit more upscale. That will be our next vehicle, for wifey. I think. :)
The CX-7 only has two rows of seats but the CX-9 has three. Actually it's weird that this thread popped back up because on Saturday I finally did purchase a new vehicle. I looked at all the vehicles I said I wanted but I also found a used 09 Mercury Mariner with ~19,000 miles on it for cheaper than any of the new vehicles I was interested in. Plus it's is a lot more luxurious so that's what I got. Thanks to all who gave input in this thread!