Punctured new rear tire, fixed but..

priotiynapkin

So today I went to check my tire pressure before a ride with my girlfriend. to my surprise the rear was at 20 PSI. I quickly found an industrial staple lodged ride in the valley of the tread of my brand new pilot road 2.

After doing some research and consulting a few mechanics, it seemed like the best bet was a sealant, so we went with the Slime for tubeless tires. after about an hour of sliming, airing up, riding and repeating, the air finally stopped leaking. (on a side note I saw a white 6r on Encinitas blvd on my way to pep boys to buy the sealant)

So now I don't get any bubbles from the soapy water test, and in the morning I'll check the air pressure again to see if it held, but my dad said that I shouldn't ride as aggressively or fast on the repaired tire.

Anyways, i thought i would share my day with you guys. Does anyone have some insight to riding on tires repaired with sealant? I've done it on bicycles but not motorcycles, and financially getting a new tire isn't an option right now.

Edit: I saw there was another thread about plugs recently but I figured this was different enough to start another thread.

Last edited:

Bloke

Read the can. Pretty sure slime says maximum of 50mph for a few miles. I.e. get you home/to a garage.

A mushroom plug kit, while debatable on safety (i know folk who've ridden for years on them) is craptons more reliable than the sealant you've just used that can corrode your rims if left in there for a long period of time.

priotiynapkin

I'm pretty sure my rims are going to be fine. it says it has anti rust and anti corrosive stuff in it, just that it should be cleaned out after 2 years and replaced, but by the amount I ride I'll have a new set of tires long before the slime goes bad. :/

BoneJj

Read the can. Pretty sure slime says maximum of 50mph for a few miles. I.e. get you home/to a garage.

A mushroom plug kit, while debatable on safety (i know folk who've ridden for years on them) is craptons more reliable than the sealant you've just used that can corrode your rims if left in there for a long period of time.
I actually just ordered a mushroom kit the other day. I hope to get it soon, I hope I don't have to use it anytime soon but I will be sure to keep the kit in the back under the rear seat of the bike. There is just enough room inside there for it.

priotiynapkin

I actually just ordered a mushroom kit the other day. I hope to get it soon, I hope I don't have to use it anytime soon but I will be sure to keep the kit in the back under the rear seat of the bike. There is just enough room inside there for it.
I aught to carry something like this with me. I was lucky this happened close to home and the staple stayed lodged in there. The problem is all the construction going on and people being lazy with nails, screws, staples, etc..

BoneJj

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited: