Puig Race Screen

ksanbon

Puig Racing Windscreen

I ordered it from the local dealer w/ the part number that Puig gave me. It's coming from Tennessee so they expect it to arrive next week.

I'll post when I get it.

Last edited:

kevcoop

Is this the one you ordered?

Attachments

nashvillenobody

I ordered it from the local dealer w/ the part number that Puig gave me. It's coming from Tennessee so they expect it to arrive next week.

I'll post when I get it.
Hope they had it in stock. I ordered it 2 weeks ago through my dealer here and just found out Puig is out of stock and won't have it available until aug 23

kevcoop

Puig isnt taking any orders until aug 30th.

I guess the counry goes on some summer siesta for a month (la hora de la siesta)

ksanbon

I GOT IT!
Puig double height Racing Screen: Light smoke
$92.43 incl tax (Motorcycle Superstore quotes $80 shipped, but they're back-ordered)

DETAILS
P=Puig Y=Yam Double-bubble
1 inch taller than the Y
Side profile is smooth, no upturn to push the wind up like the Y
P sticker came off easily using a hair dryer, other stickers are magnetic
Me: 5' 9", 36.5" approx sitting height (seat to top of head)
Bike: seat in low position, bars in forward position w ends turned down
Helmet: Shoei RF-1100

REVIEW
P fits the 6r perfectly.
This might not make sense, but I like the look of the mild smoke screen because it allows the blue metal-flake of the paint to show through and brings everything (paint, black dash, black mounting screws) together without letting anything stand out.
I tested both on the freeway in a mild quartering wind doing approx 65 to 74 mph (70 to 80 on the speedo). The airflow behind the screen is much cleaner than the Y resulting in less turbulence. The helmet buffeting was significantly less (50%?) and my shoulders felt more protection (25%?). To minimize helmet wind-noise & buffeting w/ the Y, I had to lay my chest on the tank and look through the windscreen. The improvement came from being lower, but also from the helmet being closer to the screen which redirected the turbulent air over me instead of swirling around me. To do the same w/ the P, I didn't have to get so low as I could see over the screen.
Is it worth getting if you have the Y? I think so. I like it as much as I liked the Y over the stock screen. It has plenty of protection for me and, IMHO, the only way to get more is w/ a touring screen.

Puig webpage for part numbers
Replacement screens For the bike model Yamaha FZ6R 2009 | Puig

Links to distributors (have your dealer contact thrm or check their dealer lists)
www.wps-inc.com , Tucker Rocky-Leader in Wholesale Distribution of Powersports Parts, Accessories and Apparel , OFD.com .

Last edited:

ksanbon

Sorry Roaddawg, no camera & no phone connector. The camera's somewhere around #7 on my list of things to get. Need more $.

porky45

you have a cellphone? take a picture and email it to yourself.

2w05thletes

Excellent review.

ksanbon

Since I had to change the screens for the pics, I decided to test them on the road again. I went out early in the morning when there was no wind. The difference was not as great without the quartering crosswind.

New Impressions
Yamaha: Aerodynamics and noise improved progressively as I leaned forward more. However, leaning forward resulted in more helmet whistling due to the aero change from not being able to keep it faced up.
Puig: Aero and wind noise improved when I sat up straighter and taller. I found this to hold true up to an indicated 96 mph (I chose not to go faster). As I mentioned previously, my handlebars were mounted in the forward position. It seems Puig designed it for the standard riding position so I moved my bars back to the original position.
Verdict: Still highly recommended

Attachments

Last edited:

DragonBlu

Installed Puig Black racing screen last night. Test drove with no screen and after install for comparison. My opinion is that it is a winner. I am 5' 11'' and it got rid of the strong wind noise at the chin area of my helmet with the stock screen. That was my goal.The wind seems to be strongest at the very top of my helmet going over the top now. With this design I think some also goes to the sides. Front-end stability is very good to 100mph (on a closed road course for professionals only):). I like the looks and function. I got it from OFD racing and they gave excellent service.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg