Price for first dealer dervice?

gearhead

I'm hoping this is not a repeat thread, because I was wondering how much people paid for the first scheduled service at a dealer? There appears to be such a wide variable with the initial purchase price on our bikes, I was wondering if the same applied to the service department. Thanks all.

bsoder

I was quoted $200-$250. Decided to do it myself. Spent about $100 on a stand, oil/filter, chain lube and some miscellaneous tools. The most satisfying part was not the savings but knowing I did it myself.

Heineken

Elite Member

cbzdel

At home, about $35.. It worth it to learn it on your own, saves lots in the long run, I have a write up in the how to section on how to do an oil chance..

FitZ6R

Also I think is best to have the dealer do your first service because Yamaha will ask for that documentation if any warranty claims are made.
Service should be documented, but U.S. law (the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act) prohibits manufacturers from requiring that service be performed by a dealer.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

all you need is proof something was done, if you do it yourself, just save the receipt for the oil/filters and such, make a little list of the services you did then file it away..

gearhead

CBZDEL,
Thanks for the write up on oil changes. That is really handy. Pictures, I like pictures!

Heineken

Elite Member

gearhead

Is it worth changing the air filter at the first service also? Has anyone done a writeup for that?

cbzdel

Is it worth changing the air filter at the first service also? Has anyone done a writeup for that?
to what a high flow?

if your swapping original for original its a waste of money.. your only 600 miles in, you should get a solid 20k out of it (havent looked at the manual just guessing 20k)

Its not hard to change the filter though, remove the two top fairings around the gas tank, remove the two bolts at the front of the frame that bolt through the gas tank, lift the gas tank and open the air box and swap filters.. probably a 20 minute job. (also get the tank as empty as possible to make it easy to lift it)

gearhead

Thanks CBDZEL, that helps a lot! What? No pictures??? (just kidding!)

I'm paying $180 at Cycle Motion in Middletown for the first service, and I still think its a rip off, but whatever I was getting some repairs done anyway lol

gearhead

After literally reading everything in the FZ6R-Forum, I wound up doing my first maintenance. You people convinced me that it can be done (thank ya all!) and more. I bought a torque wrench, oil, chain cleaner and lube, etc, and simply followed what the manual stated. I think it was around $60 total, plus I keep the tool. Right there I am way ahead financially. However, I may take it in for a quick check of the stuff we are supposed to check (bearings, brake levers, and so on...) just to make sure I did everything according to the "book". It would be nice to get verification that I did the maintenance correctly. Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in, not just on this query, but for all the other information provided. Your experience makes a difference!