powerband ?

BluePill

Enjoy! Don't let it bite you... and once you find it... you'll want to hit it every time you take off!
There is a theory called "tangent shifting" that is supposed to keep the motor in the range where it is producing the maximum average horsepower (and therefore maximum acceleration). It depends on the horsepower curve and the rpm drop between gears. To take a simple example, an engine has 80 HP at 8,000RPM, peaks at 100HP at 10,000RPM, then drops to 80 again at 12,000RPM. If the gearing gave you a drop from 12,000 to 8,000RPM on each shift, shifting at 12,000RPM would give you an avearge of 90HP through that range. Shifting at the max. HP of 10,000 would drop you to around 6,000RPM after the shift, and the average HP would be much lower. For maximum performance, I usually shift when I see 12,000RPM on the tach. That keeps me a bit below the limiter.

BTW, I recommend running to the limiter a few times (When safe) so that you know what to expect if it happens. Just like kicking in the ABS on a car, it can be weird if you haven't experienced it.

Last edited:

eucsstamtic

OK, so not the rev limiter... but really really close.... I'll have to see if I have one.

YouTube - testrun.wmv

note: I always cover my speed... even if I'm under the limit (or just a few mph above)... habits! I left the tach in here.
Nice!!! i see you were gettin on it for sure... have you had any issues with the front end coming up when getting on it like that?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member