Power Commander needed?

2down

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around the forum for a while. Just bought my 09 fz6r last month. And I love it.

I am looking to put a exhaust on it. I am either going to go the r6 header or cut up my stock exhaust and go with a high flow cat. Undecided on exhaust tip yet

So my question is will a power Commander be required?

Thank-you everyone!

Keep the 2 wheels down!

BluePill

Conventional wisdom is that when you reduce back pressure in the exhaust you *may* need to enrich the mixture. Yamaha usually sets the mixture as lean as reasonable at mid RPMs and light throttle, i.e cruising speeds. Wide open throttle is set rich to protect the engine. If you expect to do a lot of Interstate Style cruising, a tuner might be a good idea. If you are just doing local under 50 MPH riding mixed with full throttle when you can, you can probably skip the tuner. My 2 cents.

2down

Thank-you for quick reply bluepill. The bike is mostly in town use. Is there any options of adding other exhaust parts to help increase back pressure? Maybe a resonator?

PS I took the red pill

BluePill

OK. I'm a bit confused. You want to "Open Up" the system with mods, and then talk about putting a restriction back into it. Are you looking for better performance or more sound or a better-looking system?

yellowfz

Needing tuning for adding a new/different exhaust pipe is an old myth that hangs on from the carburetor days, not necessary on electronic controlled engines.

2down

OK. I'm a bit confused. You want to "Open Up" the system with mods, and then talk about putting a restriction back into it. Are you looking for better performance or more sound or a better-looking system?
Just a better looking system and the r6 header with cat is a bit cheaper than the marthy

BluePill

Needing tuning for adding a new/different exhaust pipe is an old myth that hangs on from the carburetor days, not necessary on electronic controlled engines.
You are correct in the case of EFI systems that can run in "Feedback" or "Closed Loop Mode". That means they are fitted with an oxygen (Lambda) sensor in the exhaust stream to give feedback to the ECU on the fuel mixture. Systems that lack this feature are just as dumb as a carburator, and cannot adjust injector pulse width to compensate for modifications of the intake or exhaust. Many late model Euro-Spec. Yamahas use feedback, but I do not believe that any year USA model FZ6R has a sensor.

FYI, a cheap and dirty way to trick the ECU into providing a slightly richer mixture than stock is to put a resistor in series with the Air Temperature Sensor. The ECU "Sees" a colder than actual temperature, and increases pulse width.

Last edited:

2down

Thanks for the super useful info guys. I was kind of nervous asking a few questions when I first joined because in a few car forums. I was in people would just hate on anything that wasn't theirs. And it's upsetting. We are all people enjoying the same thing. Weather it be a motorcycle a car, food, painting etc etc. Now not saying a few people in this group aren't that way but for the most part everyone that has answered any of my questions so far seems to be very helpful. Again thank you guys.. I'm liking it here so far :):):D