Post crash pics

Yone

Yeah, since the day I got my bike, I have only used two fingers on the brake lever. This was for two reasons: 1) I didn't want to grab too much brake in an emergency stop and 2) I want to get some aftermarket levers, and using only two fingers would build muscle memory for when I get some shorter levers.

Two fingers is more than enough. "That's what she said!" :rof:

That's interesting, because in my M/C safety course they taught to grab the front brake as hard as we could, in conjunction with the rear brake, on the quick stop stuff...

zig308

That's interesting, because in my M/C safety course they taught to grab the front brake as hard as we could, in conjunction with the rear brake, on the quick stop stuff...

For the purposes of the exercise that may have been ok. For example, going 12mph in a parking lot on a 250cc cruiser with most of your weight towards the rear. However, I think the neutral to slightly forward position on a sport bike coupled with a sudden full fist grab on the front is not going to be good at speed as Diluted unfortunately found out.

The trick, I believe, is to muscle memory in a smooth steadily increasing pressure on both breaks as you decelerate.

Bigevildoer

As hard as you can?!?!
I think that should have been qualified as follows:
"Apply the front and rear brakes progressively and evenly as hard as you can whilst still remaining in control."
If you're cruising alot at even 35mph and slam on the brakes as hard as you can immediately, you're going to lock up both wheels and go sailing over the handlebars whilst thinking "Egads! Maybe that wasn't such a good idea!"

T.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

Actually, what you should have been taught was that grabbing the front brake is a big no no. They should have taught you to progressively squeeze the front brake harder and harder until the bike comes to a stop. The increasing pressure is what is key, because as you first start to apply the brake, you begin slowing down. But since you want to come to a complete stop quickly, squeezing harder and harder allows the bike to continue to slow quickly but not abruptly.

nlpyle

this is why i love this site. You fellow riders have really good advice.
I also was taught that I should use both brakes in the safety class I took. It was not till I went on rides with people that have been riding a while, when I learned to just use my front brake. But still sort of iffy on the whole front brake so I just make sure that I slow down when I see I will be stopping. I have not had to emergency stop YET. But all have good advice so keep it rolling for us less experience riders. Thanks all

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Yone

I guess you're all right - it was still to do it progressively, but to finish out as hard as we could on the front brake.

zig308

this is why i love this site. You fellow riders have really good advice.
I also was taught that I should use both brakes in the safety class I took. It was not till I went on rides with people that have been riding a while, when I learned to just use my front brake. But still sort of iffy on the whole front brake so I just make sure that I slow down when I see I will be stopping. I have not had to emergency stop YET. But all have good advice so keep it rolling for us less experience riders. Thanks all

Just the front brake?

demon408

better to make the newbie mistake and be abel to walk away. alot of people never get the chance to walk away from there mistakes, lucky u did, and now you'll be a better rider for it.

nlpyle

ya just the front brake. Right out of class I already had the habbit of useing both brakes. That is what I was taught. but when I started riding with people around here they said you don't really need to use both brakes, pretty much the front. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying in anyway that I don't use my back brack. If I have a feeling that I am going to need to stop quicker then normal then I will use both brakes. But the main thing when I brake, like a lot of people here are saying, is not just throw all the brake at once. You need to ease into the brake. I would suggest finding an empty lot and practice. Thats what I do. I would rather pratice then end up in someones bumper.
If you really want to take away anything from what all these fellow riders are talking about I would say it is just the ease into the braking. But practice practice practice. So have fun and ride safe.

Last edited:

jon144hart

wow i just did the same thing 3 weeks ago. i dont have pics but luckily all i damaged was the windsheild and left mirror. minor scratches on the fairings but my buddys painting it for me :). already got the new windsheild now im waiting on the bolts for the fairings my family so kindly threw out.

physically though, i knocked out 3 teeth and got a concussion. was out cold for 3 days, in ICU for 5 days total. I didnt have my helmet on me, was on the pass seat because i used that lame excuse, 'oh just going down the street to get gas'. ya well right before, lady in front of me stopped 50ft short of a red light and i overreacted and grabbed the front brake too hard. tech the bike didnt hit her. my face did lol.

im all good now, got a bunch of dentist stuff for the next 3 months for teeth implants though

Verranth

I was taught to ...sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the front breaks and likewise, preeessss down on the rear break.

Like someone on here said previously, the mentalitly behind what is supposed to be the "fastest" way to stop is to use both breaks and to progressively increase the pressure until you come to full and complete stop. However, they did mention that you could progressively squeeze too fast! In the case of the rear tire locking up, they said it was best to continue breaking with the tire skidding along. In the case of a front tire locking up, you should let up on the break and let the tire roll and reapply the sqeeze on the break and continue to slow down until you stop.

Theoretically speaking...I believe this to be the best way to stop. In a car, when you want to stop (without ABS), I heard you never just drop the foot, you wanted to pump the break (which is what ABS does). Unfortunately, I dont think you can do that as effectively on a motorcycle.

Any thoughts?