Popped my first wheelie

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! :thumbup:

Be careful. Just keep the stunts off the streets, it's too dangerous around traffic and you never know who's watching.

O-turn

Partier
Very cool indeed, but like 99 says, make sure you worry about others before going and doing that on the streets!

MNDZA

What gear were you in and what speed? I don't approve of doing this on street, but nice!

cbzdel

what exactly is a "power wheelie"?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
what exactly is a "power wheelie"?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk&eurl[/ame]

This guy explains how to do them. One way is to power wheelie, another is to clutch it up.

Power wheelie is really just how it sounds. You roll on the throttle hard enough to just power the front wheel off the ground. It doesn't involve any use of the clutch to get a jump in rpms, then dumping the clutch to get a surge to lift the front wheel.

I hope that explains it some. :rolleyes:

cbzdel

(didnt watch the video, you tube stopped working at work!!)

just strictly power?? I have gone full throttle through 1-4th gear and never got it off the ground, I figured we just didn't have enough power to do that..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to do it. I have done it accidentally. :eek:

Try rolling in 1st gear up to about 7k, then let off just a little and quickly crack the throttle back on. This should get you close if not lift the front wheel.

cbzdel

You should be able to do it. I have done it accidentally. :eek:

Try rolling in 1st gear up to about 7k, then let off just a little and quickly crack the throttle back on. This should get you close if not lift the front wheel.
I just go straight through the gears, I have not let off then got back on it before.. I would rather not test my wheelie skills on a brand new bike lol, I almost want to buy a cheap old bike and put a stunt cage on it and learn some tricks..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that. I think when I accidentally lifted my front wheel, I was in first gear at about 5500 rpms, then I rolled the throttle pretty hard, and that was enough to get a jump into the powerband. The front wheel only came up a little 'cuz it scared me and I dropped it back down.

We have usable torque though. I was riding with shreveport1 yesterday and we were riding in 6th gear. We both hammered the throttle in 6th gear and my FZ6R pulled away from his FZ6 until he got into the top-end, where the FZ6 has more horsepower.

Funkmaxtor

If you want to get the front wheel way up, take it up to 7K or so in first then back off slightly and quickly roll on the throttle. The front end will come up quickly. Once in the air back off the throttle slightly to keep from flipping. Never completely close the throttle all the way with the wheel in the air, it can cause the back to lock and send you down. Use the back brake carefully to modulate the wheelie if you ride it. I personally won't keep it in the air.

MOST IMPORTANT! Keep it off the streets if you are going to do this or any other trick.

Happy Wheelying!

cbzdel

People are saying keep it off the streets, where do you do this then?? Parking lots?? I mean a track is for speed not goofing off..

shreveport1

We have usable torque though. I was riding with shreveport1 yesterday and we were riding in 6th gear. We both hammered the throttle in 6th gear and my FZ6R pulled away from his FZ6 until he got into the top-end, where the FZ6 has more horsepower.
The FZ6R has more than enough tourqe to wheelie!Like 99 say's in this qoute, we both rolled on W.O.T. from about 40mph and he took off from me by at least 5 bike length's and held me at bay till around 85mph...Tourqe is what put's the front tire in the air,and my bike has no problem at all pulling wheelies...you just need to practice some where safe like everyone else has been saying,and wear your gear!!! Sweat Wipes Off...Road Rash Does'nt!! :rockon: :D

shreveport1

People are saying keep it off the streets, where do you do this then?? Parking lots?? I mean a track is for speed not goofing off..
You did'nt hear this from me,but a backroad is awesome for practice....just make sure you can see in both direction's for a pretty good way's and have a freind go with you incase of an accident.....P.S. remember you did'nt hear this from me...:D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Back roads are a place to do it. Out in the middle of nowhere to avoid traffic and possible encounters with police. This doesn't make it legal though, and I really can't publicly encourage this type of behavior.

Beware of parking lots. You can be charged with trespassing or reckless driving. Not to mention, there are often light poles, parking blocks, and they usually aren't the smoothest or cleanest places for a motorcycle.

fz6rwolf

I found a completely deserted road that led to a shutdown factory once and since I had found it decided to try wheelies. That's where a few times I got the front about a foot and a half and went maybe 10-15 feet. I was in 1st at around 6-6500rpms let off and then gave it a twist. I think maybe why I didn't get up more was I let off too much before giving it again. If I find that road again I'll try it a few more times. Parking lots for the most part even if store is closed is still too public a place and someone most likely will call LE.

cbzdel

I must be doing it wrong.. I was in 1st, hit 8000rpm, let go to about 7000rpm then mash on it up to 12 grand and nothing :(

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I must be doing it wrong.. I was in 1st, hit 8000rpm, let go to about 7000rpm then mash on it up to 12 grand and nothing :(
Are you leaning forward? If you are too far forward, the center of gravity will be closer to the front wheel, making it harder to get it off the ground. Try sitting more upright or lean back a bit.

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

When I did it I got up to about 8k in first gear, rolled the throttle all the way foward for a slight second, then heavily twisted it back and the front end got up. I do sit pretty far back with my butt up against the cowl and I'm relatively slender but I don't know if either of those matter.

cbzdel

I got it up!!! hahah that sounds so wrong haha!!!

I went to 8000rpm rolled it back to about 6500 and slammed it to WOT and the front end came up, not sure how far, probably just a few inches, I would of never noticed but I had a death grip on the bars and all of a sudden they became very lose :)

My problem is i am leaning to far forward I think, because when I am going faster I tuck down and its almost natural for it to happen when I hit WOT...

I need to adjust my chain though it seems to be lose so that might be making it harder as well... (I might have a post about that, I am having weird chain issues)

Also I dont see how you could get it up for very long I seem to hit redline withing what feels like only a second and have to shift and I don't think you shift while the front end is up do you??