Poor Man's Bluetooth Helmet Mod

OK before I start I want to give a background on how I got here. I never thought I wanted bluetooth, listen to music while I ride and don't agree with it.

First I thought I would try ear buds with a cord to my cell phone and kind of liked it. Actually hard to now go on a ride without music.

Second I won an ebay auction for Samsung Stereo Bluetooth Headset SBH650 for cheap. I would then be able to keep the cell phone in the pocket and the bluetooth adapter clipped to my sleeve.

Third my ears got sore after an hour ride so I won some helmet speakers on ebay for cheap again. These speakers are flat with padding and 3M sticky.

Mounting my helmet speakers I thought why not put the samsung in the helmet as well.

There you go I have a bluetooth helmet. I haven't tried talking on the phone with it though.

Not sure if this was ever done before but thought I would post it.

Just an update I tried using the helmet using the cell today.

Because the mic is right in the front of your mouth the volume on the other end is way too loud like your shouting at the phone and becomes muffled. Have to talk very soft. I don't imagine using the cell phone while riding though.

Today I soddered the wires as it seemed to break up a bit. After soddering the speaker volume was a lot higher. I forgot to mention that I cut the wires and eliminated the volume control and the adapter the helmet speakers originally came with.

Nice that when a call comes in the music stops and with a finger I can activate the call button on the bluetooth in front of my mouth (i.e. enough room).

$6 for the speakers and $15 for the bluetooth adapter.

I'm very happy with this mod.......................

Heineken

Elite Member

Yone

Do you still have the link for the eBay auction? I'm curious which speakers you got... Good work!

Yone

DonMegaR

Just an update I tried using the helmet using the cell today.

Because the mic is right in the front of your mouth the volume on the other end is way too loud like your shouting at the phone and becomes muffled. Have to talk very soft. I don't imagine using the cell phone while riding though.

Today I soddered the wires as it seemed to break up a bit. After soddering the speaker volume was a lot higher. I forgot to mention that I cut the wires and eliminated the volume control and the adapter the helmet speakers originally came with.

Nice that when a call comes in the music stops and with a finger I can activate the call button on the bluetooth in front of my mouth (i.e. enough room).

$6 for the speakers and $15 for the bluetooth adapter.

I'm very happy with this mod.......................
"Soldered"

latony007

built in

I love bluetooth, not only for music but for the GPS. I bought the VCAN 136 for 100 bucks and you can find them for the same, with the bluetooth unit included. Works great, can hear music & GSP over 70mph. Phone probably around 50 mph. its jiust not as loud, i assume because of the format or compression of a call vs. an mp3. If your going helmet to helmet is the only problem. while its way better than having nothing you can really only hear each other well at stops or very slow speeds but for 100 i way recomend them..