Please help me a picture?

dcBear78

Just wondering if anyone with an XJ6 could post up a photo of their throttle body?

The reason I ask is I have an FZ6R. In Australia they have limited the throttle movement on this bike to fit into learner rider regulations. What I want to do is de-restrict my bike.

Below is a pic of my throttle body. You will see a triangle protruding at the bottom which stops the throttle from opening all the way. This plate would require serious modifications/fabrication work. I was hoping to be able to restore the bike to original condition for resale or should I ever be forced to by the man.

What I am thinking is I could possible buy this part from the XJ6 and fit it as it is essentially the same bike. XJ6's are still very new in Australia and I don't have access to look at one in person.

Thanks if someone can help me out. You will be helping all future Aussie FZ6R owners.

jeza81

Couldnt have worded it better ! :)
I know the ECU's are the same between the two. checked them on parts list at Yamahas.
Not a easy job of bending triangular stopper hey. (tryed that one)

dcBear78

Couldnt have worded it better ! :)
I know the ECU's are the same between the two. checked them on parts list at Yamahas.
Not a easy job of bending triangular stopper hey. (tryed that one)
I just looked at it an drealised it wasn't worth trying. I cast aluminium for a living so now at that thickness, it isn't moving. Thinking about trying to bend the tab on the throttle body itself. This might be easier.

Cant you just 'dremmel' it off ?
Yeah, I can certainly remove it easily. But what I am after is an easy method of getting it back to this state for re-sale.

dcBear78

why do u have to put it back? whos going to know?
I am new to bikes and assume the process for cars applies.... In Australia to transfer ownership of a vehicle you also need a Road Worthy Certificate. Any modifications to a Learner Approved Motorbike Scheme (LAMS) bike is forbidden, especially ones that increase power/acceleration.

Should a police officer discover this modification (extremely unlikely) or a Department of Transport officer find it (high chance of discovery, very little chance to actually be in this position though) the bike would be deemed un-roadworthy and I would not be allowed to ride it until rectified, plus fines.

So while I am more than happy to modify the bike and run the risks as they are minimal. I want to be able to return it to stock condition should I need to or when I trade/sell it.

So modifying the bracket or the stopper on the throotle body is easy to do, neither really allows to easily revert back to stock condition. This is why I would like to buy a bracket for the throttle body from an XJ6 which I can source locally, or one from a US spec FZ6R which I would need to import.

dcBear78

Why not just buy another bell crank for the FZ6R & cut one & keep one untouched?
I could buy something and modify it, or I could just buy the one that doesn't require any modifications.... ie one from XJ6. I would like to see a pic of one first before initiating this process.

Hence this thread.

sasha

DcBear78, I'll make a photo today, after the work. Alp, I'm gonna be at dealer tomorrow, I can ask for a part number, if you need one..

sasha

DcBear78, I'll make a photo today, after the work. Alp, I'm gonna be at dealer tomorrow, I can ask for a part number, if you need one..
Been at the service today, no luck with the photo, as I was told, you need to remove tank cover to get to the throttle body. I'll be at Russian Fazer Club this Friday, those guys will help me out with the photo. Sorry for delay, DcBear78

dcBear78

Been at the service today, no luck with the photo, as I was told, you need to remove tank cover to get to the throttle body. I'll be at Russian Fazer Club this Friday, those guys will help me out with the photo. Sorry for delay, DcBear78
Thanks mate. Thought being the naked version of this bike the throttle body would be nice and easy to get a look at. Whenever you can, that would be great.

jeza81

FZ6r Derestrict

Got the news yesterday and have ordered xj6 throttle body. it fits and is all it is.
$140 and about 1 hr labour. will confirm 100% by monday next week but have seen both throttle bodys (photo) and 99% certain it will work.
Will keep you's posted. :)

streetmaster

do they do that to cars also?
Cars are restricted in the way that usually no V8's or turbocharged cars are allowed to be driven by inexperienced drivers. Again, it's a power/weight thing.

Got the news yesterday and have ordered xj6 throttle body. it fits and is all it is.
$140 and about 1 hr labour. will confirm 100% by monday next week but have seen both throttle bodys (photo) and 99% certain it will work.
$140!!!! All that's needed is the pressed metal 'crank' that the throttle cables attach to! :D
& only 1 nut holds it on too!

dcBear78

$140!!!! All that's needed is the pressed metal 'crank' that the throttle cables attach to! :D
& only 1 nut holds it on too!
No, it's the bracket thing with the triangular stopper that is the issue. Putting on just a different crank isn't going to solve the problem when it stops in the same place.

Looking forward to some more info. Mine goes in for it's service next week and will hopefully get this sorted out.

dcBear78

It's past Monday. Need news!?!?! Or are you too busy enjoying your bike to get to the computer?

Also.... Appologies for stealing your pic (from netrider) in the OP.

dcBear78

No news from jeza81, but I can now say...... WAHOOOOOO!!!!!

De-restricted, this bike is a millions times better. Cost me $165 but was money well spent!!

I no longer striuggle to overtake cars. Doing 160 odd by the time I am around a car now. YAY!!!

sbeah2

No news from jeza81, but I can now say...... WAHOOOOOO!!!!!

De-restricted, this bike is a millions times better. Cost me $165 but was money well spent!!

I no longer striuggle to overtake cars. Doing 160 odd by the time I am around a car now. YAY!!!
Hey Dcbear
did you just replace the throttle body completely with an XJ6 body? and is it simple to do.

also mate im from biloela, were u got it ordered from would be great to no! =D

dcBear78

Pretty much. Just a replacement part so I still got the original if I need it. I got it put on while the bike was in for it's first service. It would be easy to do though. Just robe fairings, then it is just a couple of bolts to undo the original and replace with the new piece.

Give Dominic at Gladstone Motorcycles a call. He fixed it up for me.

It is well worth it. Couldn't recomend this enough.