Pivot Parking, worth it?

CraigEgg

My buddy showed me how to "pivot" park. Pretty crazy; you twist the bike on the kick stand to swivel 180* degrees.

You guys do this? Seems like a big risk if you have brand new fairings. :)

CrazyCawi

I've never heard of this

Chucker

My buddy showed me how to "pivot" park. Pretty crazy; you twist the bike on the kick stand to swivel 180* degrees.

You guys do this? Seems like a big risk if you have brand new fairings. :)
I would think you'd create issues with your kick stand over time, not to mention the risk of dropping the bike.

I'll pass.

husker525

We move bikes around on the show room floor and in the warehouse all the time using either this, or a similar method. While on the stand, we rotate the bike on it's kickstand, by pushing down on the rear of the bike, swinging it around. We have never damaged a bike, a stand or a fairing. We even lift the front of rockets up by cradling the bottom of the fairing, and moving the whole bike around on the stand.

I thought it was crazy, and hard on the bikes, but when the bosses did it on high dollar bikes, and it works with no damage, then I started doing it all the time.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

When I was at the dealer looking at bikes a couple years back, the dealer was pulling the bikes out of the lineup and pivoting them like that so I could sit on them. He did it with much more ease then the guy in the video. I've done it a couple times in my garage when I was just trying to move the bike over a bit.

bmw675

I heard about this last year, so of course i had to try it.

i did it a couple times in the garage just to see if i 'could' do it.

after i proved it was possible, i went back to walking it backwards out of the garage.

i could see it causing long term problems for some bikes, but we seem to have a pretty stout steel kickstand. 'should' be fine.

Detrich

Good info. Thanks Husk & everyone.

Harda toenail

If it makes you happy, do it. I can't see any circumstances where it would be completely necessary. Just ride the bike and you won't have to worry about pivoting

dcBear78

Yeah I do it all the time now. My bike lives at the front of my car port, so I need to park it straight across to fit my car in after it. I got sick of doing a 900 point turn trying to get it into the right position.

Now just ride in, jump off and spin it into position.

Our bike has the pillion grabs which make doing this real easy. I just grab the far side pillion grab and the centre of the handle bars.

CrazyCawi

Yeah I do it all the time now. My bike lives at the front of my car port, so I need to park it straight across to fit my car in after it. I got sick of doing a 900 point turn trying to get it into the right position.

Now just ride in, jump off and spin it into position.

Our bike has the pillion grabs which make doing this real easy. I just grab the far side pillion grab and the centre of the handle bars.
pictures please

ChUcK

Pivot Parking seems like an industry move to me. Useful for someone who might need to do it 50 times a day, but excessively risky for Joe Bikeowner who might do it once a week. Salesmen have a nice controlled environment with a showroom floor that's great for the move, but Joe might want to do this on an incline, oil, gravel, pebbly concrete, etc. and that throws too many question marks into the mix.

Anything that seems to be a show-off move more than a necessity is asking for trouble in the long run. Similar moves that come to mind are wheelies, side-to-side whipping to "warm up" the tire edges, and beer bongs.

I can't think of a single situation where this would be preferred over a multiple-point U-turn. With the lean ability of bikes, even starting out with car bumpers touching both wheels should present no more hassle to exit but for a shaking head and a "people park like assholes" lament.

See red

sexy carport.... ???? lol! I think if you are comfy doing it, go for it, if your not, try it, don't drop your bike, if you don't like it, don't do it.

Roaddawg

Sorry... This may have been the confusion. Must be an Aussie term? As can be seen in the photo, it is just the roof extending out to provide cover for your vehicle, no wall or doors etc.
They're call carports here too....its just a nice, sexy looking carport is what he's saying. ;)

tractorboy

Hmmm I personally dont like it...I guess I dont trust myself.

I do the 23 point K turn...... in garage sometimes...but maybe its worth a try in a tight spot.

Piercebelton

Works just fine

My brother has a Ducati Monster s4r and he does it pretty regularly when he doesnt feel like turning it around (gotta be lazy not to turn around a 400 lb. bike hehe). Basically he explained that the kickstand is built to hold up the bike and its already at the balance point so it's not an issue whatsoever.