Pirelli Diablo Rosso II review

Chucker

After I melted my stock Bridgestone BT021's at the track a few weeks ago, I decided I needed to get a set of higher performance tires that could handle 4-6 track days per year. A tech guy at the last track day suggested either Michelin Pilot Power Pures or Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's. After much research and deliberation, I decided on the Pirellis.

I mounted them on the bike Tues night and took a quick spin around the block. That was the extent of the riding until I entered the track at Cayuga's Toronto Motorsports Park on Wed. TMP is a 3km track with 2 long straights and 11 turns ranging from 1 decent sweeper to a tight hairpin. After a quick, but not pressing, first lap to break them in, I picked up the pace in lap 2. In turn 6, my sidestand and toe slider touched down, scaring the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting anything to touch as I didn't feel like I was really pushing it. Throughout the next 7-8 laps in that session, the sidestand and both toes touched down quite a few times. I actually thought my pegs were touching as well, and I've got Rizoma racing pegs, on which the bottoms are significantly higher than the bottoms of the stock pegs. After returning to the pits and checking out the bike, I found that the sidestand and my toe sliders were all that were touching, the pegs were fine. I removed my sidestand, added one notch of preload on the rear, and went back out for the next session, planning on hanging off more. The extra preload and getting off the bike a bit more made the difference. My toes were still touching quite often, but not before my knee was down. I pushed it hard for the next 5 sessions, and then it started raining. It didn't rain enough to keep the track wet, so I was still able to get a knee down a few times per lap. In one session, it started raining hard and I really took it easy for one lap before exiting, and the tires held perfectly.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with these tires. I never once felt like I was on the edge of adhesion, and actually had a guy go down directy in front of me on a ZX6R and we were going exactly the same speed on the same line. He lowsided and I didn't even feel a slip. The tires stuck like glue all day, including under hard braking and trail braking into some turns. I was getting on the throttle at the apex while still at full lean and never felt like I was on the edge. Contrary to my last track day on the BT021's, where I felt like the tires were my only limitation, with the Rosso IIs I felt like the low pegs were the limitation, once I took the sidestand off.

An interesting note is that after my track day on the BT021's, where I pushed them until they started to melt, I came home with about 1/4" of chicken strips and never touched the sidestand or my toes or knees. With the Rosso II's, having the bike over far enough to touch my sidestand and my toes, I came home with about 1/4" of chicken strips. I honestly can't see how I will get to the edge of the tires without raising my pegs. This is because of the profile of the tires. I got 160/60 rear and 120/70 front and the sidewall is steep enough I don't think I will ever be in a position to get to the edge. I don't plan on spending the money on new rearsets, so I will probably always have chicken strips. Luckily, I'm not concerned about getting rid of them.

I obviously don't know anything about longevity yet, and I've heard Rosso's wore quickly, but Pirelli claims the Rosso II's will outlast the Rosso's as they are dual compound and the Rosso's weren't. We'll see about that. I don't get an opportunity to ride that often and will do 4-6 track days per year, so I'm sure they'll last me a couple of years, but don't know how long they'll last a daily rider.

If your biggest tire concern is grip, I highly recommend Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's for the FZ6R. I don't think they'll ever let you down on this bike.

Last edited:

Chucker

Thanks for the review. I'm debating between these or the Michelin PP CT2's for my ST3's next set.
The tech I talked to recommended these or Pures over the 2CT's because he said the 2CT's are old technology and haven't changed in many years.

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

do you have video of your riding sessions

Chucker

No, I don't have a GoPro. Trying to spend my money on performance mods first.

lhsbandfan

Good review man. I was lookin at getting a new set of tires for mine since the stock ones are still on it from '09 and have 5200 miles on them. Was lookin at the Diablos and the Diablo II's.

FastFreddy

Good review, I've been itching to use Pirellis on the bike for some time as I have the cheaper UHP-class Pirelli tyres on the car and they were almost as good as the Advan Neova's but cheaper. (I drive rarely since getting the bike)

The Rosso IIs sound like great tyres, I've been using Q2s myself which are a fast tyre that last 10-12 000 kms.

The pegs definitely become the limiting factor on a track day with good tyres, surely it wouldn't be too hard to knock up a bracket to fit the 3 holes for the stock peg bracket wing thingy.

Last edited:

6R Blackout

Thanks for the review. I'm debating between these or the Michelin PP CT2's for my ST3's next set.
Hey NastyButler, do you even have a track up there in Alaska that you can ride on?

Chucker

Where did you buy and or get the tires installed?
I got them installed at Brampton Powersports, but the best price I found was at Blue Streak Racing Diablo Rosso II - Pirelli - Tires and Accessories , which is in Embro, ON. His prices are either shipped or installed on loose rims. Brampton Powersports came within $32 tax in, so I went with them to save me the trip to Embro. I don't think they'll do that again because she only made money on the $50 install.

Chucker

Possibly 4-6 trackdays plus normal use for a year is a bit of a stretch for any tire, we'll see.
Agreed, but I ride significantly less than "normal", as in 2000kms per year on the street.

Also, the FZ6R doesn't burn up tires in the straights like a SS does.

I got them installed at Brampton Powersports, but the best price I found was at Blue Streak Racing Diablo Rosso II - Pirelli - Tires and Accessories , which is in Embro, ON. His prices are either shipped or installed on loose rims. Brampton Powersports came within $32 tax in, so I went with them to save me the trip to Embro. I don't think they'll do that again because she only made money on the $50 install.
Thanks for the info and your review.

FastFreddy

I got some Pirelli Rosso IIs recently as they were on sale due to the Rosso III already being out. They are really grippy and have a great profile which matches front and rear, feels good and balanced. Doesn't feel like I'm pushing them at all when cranked over.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member