Personal Satellite Trackers - Y/N?

Personal Satellite Communication/ Tracking Device?

• Total voters

Detrich

I started thinking about a personal satellite tracking device recently, only because there is zero cell coverage up in the canyons when I'm riding alone... And, communication safety is a bit of a concern if anything were to happen- ie engine problem, flat tire, fall, or an attack by a mountain lion or big foot... lol :D

Well, all jokes aside, there are a couple choices on the market that aren't too expensive. But, they do require some form of a subscription plan- ie $100 per year. (I'm considering this one: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102) So, I thought I'd inquire as to what most of you guys do or what you recommend...

Do you guys use satellite devices, only ride in groups, or have other means of accomplishing communication when cell phone and radios are not viable...

Last edited:

Roaddawg

If I go ride solo out in the hills, I just send the wifey a text (or tell her) of my route and estimated time I'll be back. If I'm not back within a reasonable amount of time (giving a little fudge factor for breaks and stops), then she'll at least know where to send the troops. I'll only go off the course I told her if I can get cell reception and give her the update.

And, since I just got a new Droid X smart phone, I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe it has some type of satellite app for what your talking about?!?

Speedv1

If I did a lot of solo riding in places that lacked cell coverage then I'd probably look into something like this. In general though I let someone know where I'm going, nothing strict, just "I'm going to _____ I'll be home for dinner by _____". Better than nothing, and honestly I almost always have cell coverage.

Detrich

hmm, maybe i'll see if the gps in my iPhone has an app of some sort. it would need to be able to piggy back msgs over satellite as opposed to cell tho- cuz up in the canyons over here there is zero cell coverage at all...

Speedv1

Well there's the "find my iphone" app (iphone 4G only). That's actually free. Pretty simple app, it can simply tell where your iphone is if you lose it. But using the same app someone could find you if you went missing (which would be the point here).

In terms of sending some sort of message through gps I quickly searched and nothing really came up..

Detrich

yah, the nice thing about the personal trackers is you can (1) check in at points to let family friends know you're ok, (2) send text msgs to family & friends to request help, or (3) call ems as last resort. they also sell ems insurance for $20/ year, so if fire search and rescue send a team up and bill you $20K for it, it's covered i think...

Speedv1

One thing is looking into that spot tracking thing the extra services are almost everything.

Track progress is $50/yr
500 messages is $50
Additional Service and Rescue insurance (up to $100,000) is $12.95/yr

So you're looking at:

~ $150 to buy the unit
~ $220 + taxes for running costs

Seems kinda expensive when you look at the true costs of it.. shame really.

Detrich

well, i don't need txt messaging or any add'l functions beyond the basics. the $100 built-in functions include (1) check in, (2) call friends/ family for help, and (3) call EMS for help. the insurance would be a nice add-on, but even with it, it only makes the yearly cost $113/ year, which seems reasonable. from what i read, it should work fine -unless- u fall into a deep ditch or pocket where the satellite signal won't reach...

i just did some googling, and it seems that the GPS on smart phones DO NOT WORK unless you have a cellular signal. so, regardless if there is an app for it or not, cell phone GPS will not work without cell signal- period. so that option is out.

i think if i were to buy this from a reputable seller, like REI, i may be able to return it if it doesn't meet expectations... i'm still thinking about it. yes- it's kinda expensive. but, it seems like insurance- esp for when i ride alone in the boonies.

i guess alternatively i could just make more biker friends and always ride in a group... hahahah LOL might be cheaper... :p

Speedv1

You know what, try to get it on boxing day, I'm sure you may save at least a bit of the unit then. Then just go with the basic plan and yeah. I suppose if you really don't warrant it then it's $200-$250 kind of wasted but you could maybe resell the unit?

I think you're going to have to decide whether you're willing to spend the money or not, because you definitely seem to have all the facts. Pity about the iPhone gps though lol.

NYGirl

SPOT tracker is very cool

Friend of mine has one, he rode SOLO across country twice this year from LA to NY (has two bikes and was moving from there to here). I was able literally watch his progress as the device sent signals out every 15 minutes, the coordinates are marked on a map on a website. The detail was so good I could see if he was stopped at a campground, motel, gas station or truckstop!

For that sort of riding - out on your own in unfamiliar territory - priceless!

AMA members get a discount on the unit & service, I believe.

Detrich

after talking it over w/ my family members, i decided to pull the trigger on this. $150 from REI.com... my sister says she likes the idea of knowing i'm safe. plus, we can sort of share using it- ie if they ever go camping or backpacking, we can reconfigure it to notify me instead of them. at only $130/ year, i think it's worth it as an added insurance policy.

plus, after trying it out, if it sucks, i can probably return it to REI- since they are a good vendor and stand behind products that they sell... more to come. :)

Detrich

ok. the Spot Personal Satellite GPS Messenger arrived today. and, after activating and setting it up, which does take about an hour, it seems to work well. i'll have to try it out in the canyons to make sure. but, so far so good...

during the setup, you can really tell that a LOT of thought went into this product. there are built-in features that are simply awesome. you can setup an OK message to send out at check points, a NEED HELP message to send out for non-life threatening emergencies to contacts you select, and you can setup a web site that links and shows your family friends in real time, where you are. plus, you can link it to FaceBook, and all your check-ins and get registered and mapped. So your friends know where you are.

i'll report back after my weekend ride whether my designated contact person gets my messages. but, seems like it should work. :)

p.s. cost was about $150 for the device plus $100/ year for the service contract, which includes up to $100K ems/ sar insurance. not too shabby.

p.p.s added a photo to show you guys the size. to the left is an old ipod shuffle.

Last edited:

Detrich

ok, went up to azusa canyon & gmr yesterday and tucked the SPOT in my passenger seat storage bin. and, bottom-line is this thing works very well.

i checked in at 2 sections, and i learned that you actually need to give it a couple minutes to acquire the gps location right after powering it on in order for it send out the message before putting it back under the seat... <lol> the "OK" messages i sent at gmr were all received, because i hung out there for about 15 minutes. but, the azusa ones didn't go out, because i only rested there about 5 minutes or less...

overall, this gadget works very nicely. the gps updates on facebook are pretty cool, as is the web site that tracks your progress. =)

latony007

hmm

That is interesting. have to check it out but I usually try to always ride with someone, especially on canyon rides, mainly because I think its more fun. But I do know up there in the mountains the cel signals come and go. here is to hoping its just insurance and you never actually need it! Its like spare air for diving. I little canister you strap to your leg that costs about 150 bucks and you hope to god you never have to use it but makes you feel awesome its there.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Detrich

Location services on ur smart phone ONLY works if ur phone has a signal. In many canyons, there are -no- cell towers and hence zero signal.

A personal satellite beacon uses line of sight from the device to satellite in the sky. It WILL work where cell phones do not.

Just FYI, Spot just came out with a brand new model for 2013. I'm tempted to upgrade. <lol>. But, honestly, just having a tracker makes me feel safer. I'm thinking of upgrading my service plan to use direct Roadside Assistance rather than Friends & Family. But, I haven't decided yet. So far F&F seems to work ok for now.

DevlDog

Your location is always known as long as your phone is turned on. Trufax. They can tell where you are to within 100 yards or so if you're near a tower.

Dietrich, what's the difference in Roadside Assistance and Friends and Family?

BKP

I voted YES, but with certain conditions.

When I go ocean diving (as opposed to lake, quarry, river, etc.), I clip on something called a Nautilus Lifeline. It's about $300, no yearly subscription, and if I use it three or four times a year, that's a lot (not use it, but, take it along -- I've never had to deploy, fortunately).

It's a similar concept, except it transmits a beacon with GPS coordinates of it's location when one button is pushed to the marine emergency channel (16), and it allows two way communication on other UHF/VHF channels. It's also rated to 400ft. depths and transmits within a 4000 square mile distance. Different functions, but the same basic intention as the Spot.

My feeling is, if you use it *once* it paid for itself. When you're drifting on the ocean surface, perhaps miles from the boat, or if you're disabled down an embankment where traffic can't see you, and cell signals don't exist, there's basically no other way to be located. I'm not a big fan of yearly services, and wouldn't subscribe to anything that does anything more than get you out of a bad situation. Anything else, such as internet tracking, is a luxury, and probably *should* be subscription based.

BKP

Your location is always known as long as your phone is turned on. Trufax. They can tell where you are to within 100 yards or so if you're near a tower.

Dietrich, what's the difference in Roadside Assistance and Friends and Family?
You can be tracked via location services (GPS) on your cell... The problem is, if there's no cell signal, you can't send any alert/SOS messages. Even if someone *was* tracking you via one of the tracking apps (and there are lots out there now for free), they might not even realize you have a problem before your battery goes south.

Detrich

Friends & Family is an approach Spot offers in which u designate specific friends & family members as ur roadside help to avoid roadside service coverage fees.

U designate these ppl in advance & provide them ur travel route, ur AAA card # etc. and they get SMS alerts with ur GPS coordinates if u break down & need non-emergency service. In my case, I always let my sister know ahead of time where I'm riding to and what my route is. So she knows to check her phone to see that I've ck'd in.

The benefit of Roadside Assistance is that u call the tow service directly but give up the ability to call Friends & Family. The benefit of F&F is ur contacts are aware u r on the road and will be listening for ur check ins.