Painting Headers

So whats up everybody!!! I ordered a DIY can from Marthy and will be doing the welding tomorrow.

In the meantime I took off my pipes and found quite a bit of rust beginning to happen on the surface. After some though, I bought some sand paper and matte black high temp paint. I removed my stock can a few hours ago and spent 3 hours sanding the pipes of rust, dirt, etc. Then washed the pipes with a washcloth. Now after 2 light coats of paint, the pipes are AWESOME!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1407909392531.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407909398952.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407909405931.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407909414131.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407909421022.jpg

And this is only with a two sprays within a few minutes of each other and drying. Going to do 2 more coats then one more to cure. I will post with more results on Thursday.

Oh and dont mind the closed garage door. I did have it open while painting. LOL [emoji12]

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

You do realise that you will have to repaint them again after welding?

Ik that. i wanted to get the headers more paint and more time to work with since they are exposed to MUCH higher heat than the muffler area. My friend has his process of doing it and the area for the weld had paint or something already there so it makes no difference.

luke1088

That matt looks sweet. I might do it to mine.

Its also a great rust protector for the entire system. Worth it. Lol