oz riders - adding extra stop lights

474kz

Hello all,

This is mainly a question for oz riders - anyone know if adding these led strips is illegal in Australia? I can't find anything on the QLD transport website. Anyone been pulled over or ticketed for something along these lines? What I'd like to do is tap off the brake wires and use the same thing for the sides, so its three sources of light as opposed to one...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/ST8AAOxyIPNTcZbc/$_35.JPG

Cheers

FastFreddy

Page 7 says additional brake lights are permitted.

Lighting Systems
An additional light or reflector may be fitted without specific approval only if the light or reflector is required or permitted to
be fitted by the Australian Design Rules (ADRs), the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards
and Safety) Regulation 2010 or another Act. For example, under-body lighting (neon lights) would not be acceptable.
However, additional lights such as side marker lamps, brake lights and driving lamps are permitted.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle standards and modifications/Vehicle modifications/VSIG19minormodifications.pdf

Bert-Aus

I had these led strip attached to my rear grab rail as extra indicators for times I had my panniers attached. They were only $30 from a place out of Sydney (cant find the link right now)

As brake lights I don't see why they would cause concerns from the poh poh, usually only squidly behaviour or speeding gets you pulled over.

Attachments

474kz

Hi Bert, thanks for that mate. How'd you get them to stay on ? Just double sided tape or something bolted in? Is the install just a Straight splice ? That would do perfectly for what I want to do. QLD cops are a whole different kettle of fish - new bikie laws here give them theya lot more power. I haven't had trouble from them and I want to keep it that way.

Bert-Aus

How'd you get them to stay on ? Just double sided tape or something bolted in?
Is the install just a Straight splice ?
The led strips had 3M adhesive backing but because I attached them to the rearward underside edge of the grab rail
(which was a perfect width although slightly rounded) they didn't adhere too well.
So at each end I used a little Tarzans Grip; whilst it set, I held them in place which electrical tape.
Once set, I shaved the excess glue bits off with a razor and then coloured in the overspill with a sharpie
(you could only notice that when the grab rail was off).

I ran the wires along the underside of the rail and I linked them up with a 4 pin quick coupling (from Jaycar).
The coupling was then connected directly into each indicator side coupling.
I did this type of mount, as from time to time, I would remove my grab rail (services, adding/ removing pannier rack etc)
and wanted to make it simple without having to frig around with wires each time

rhyswithers

As far as I know if the lights are red on the rear you're sweet. If you put white lights it is a defect as it can distract drivers and make them think a vehicle is coming towards them in the distance.