Oxford Hot Grips

Edd

So, it's cold over here nowadays and I'm wanting some warm hands! I've been donated some new Oxford Hot Grips and have a couple of questions for anyone that might have installed these, or something like them:

Oxford Products

The generic mounting bracket that comes with the unit doesn't suit our bike in any way and I'm running out of ideas on where to mount it for easy access. Has anyone any opinions?

I also need a live feed from the ignition, not a permanent live, so I can ensure I'm not leaving it on overnight when I forget to switch it off... Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

I'm aware the workshop manual would have this information, but I can't find a place to get it, even legitimately. You'd have thought that you could buy these things direct from Yamaha, but it seems not!

Any insight anyone can help with, I'd be grateful!

toddjcruz

I went with a power distribution node under my seat, allowing me to connect 6 items that are connected via a relay so everything goes off with the ignition. Easy install.

Didnt care for the bracket as well, may re-mount using the upper hole and cutting off the longer part of the bracket. Put my grip puppies on over them as I didnt like the 'spike like' feel of the grips.

Edd

Gah, didn't use the search function properly :) Consider me quietly reprimanded :) Thanks for the info, it seems I should be able to sort this at the weekend....

I think my controller may be mounted behind the panels, just as it's going to look ugly out on show and I shouldn't really be messing with it anyway!!

Edd

They were free :) I've still not managed to get it sorted, but I've not been riding as it's raining too much and it's much more appealing to get in the car to go to work in the morning!!!

Pics up as soon as it's done!

kma_jg

How did you go with this? Any pics and issues you found?
I bought my Hot Grips today and will install tonight. Had enough of this freakin' cold hands in the morning.

I have the Oxford grips on my bike. I really like them, they work really well. I mounted my controller just off the left side of the tank. It's easy to control with the left hand and does not get in my way.

Attachments

kma_jg

I installed mine too last night, but still need a way to get the wiring through the ignition so that it turns off when the bike is off. At the moment the wires go directly to the battery.

Anybody any ideas on how to do this without the PDU?

I did this. It's fairly easy to access a power lead under the seat, where I also tucked the relay. I made sure to also cover it with heat shrink to prevent water, wire rubbing, etc..

Attachments

kma_jg

I got one of these relays yesterday and installed it. Works very well and I don't have to worry about leaving the grips on when I get off the bike.
On the XJ6 the wiring under the seat is a bit different from the FZ6R, but I found the tail light fuse easily and took the wire going into the fuse holder to the relay to use as a trigger.

Installation took me about an hour or so with a bit of stuffing around looking for ways to split the fuse wire and mounting the relay.

XTRAWLD

Me, hubby and a friend all bought Oxford grips, around the same time. My hubby's and his friends both had failures of the temp controls. One won't turn on and one won't turn off. Because of this, in the case of my hubby's, he hardwired it to turn off with the key, because their claim that it won't drain the battery at their 11.5 amp cut off or whatever was false, since he tried to start up the bike and the battery was dead. I have been lucky with mine, no failure, but after that incident we also hardwired it to turn off with the key. Don't rely on it to not drain your battery if you've accidently left it on. Plus, I didn't want some yahoo to walk by the bike and turn them on when I've left it parked somewhere out of eyesight. Other than this, they work incredibly well.

Good luck.