Opinions please

old man

Hey all,

I am getting a little older every year and growing out of the boy-racer mentality slowly but surely. I just sold my gsx-r600 which i rode for the last 8 years and have been debating taking a step back performance wise and getting onto a fz6r - more for commuting and comfort purposes.

I know there will be a drop off in performance but can anyone chime in who has driven a supersport 600 and the fz6r extensively and give me some assurance that there will still be adequate power for when i need it?

I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 190 - i assume ergonomics should be good for me.

All opinions welcome and thanks in advance.

bmw675

for commuting and comfort, the fz6r would be great. plenty of power for everyday use, and the riding position would be better for everyday long rides.

I would assume it would be hard to step back in performance, but it would have plenty for your needs.

Fizzer6R

old man, are you looking at new or used - have you checked to see if there are any used ones locally you can test ride?

I've had a 01 GSXR600 years ago, and a few bikes (including 1000's) between the now FZ6R. Do I miss the power, sure do. But I knew what to expect. I don't mind lower HP and can accept any bike for what it is, from previous Bandit 400 and Nighthawk.

So as long as you don't get a FZ6R expecting the same performance...

old man

yeah - i am not coming in to this expecting everything to be the same - in fact, I no longer have the desire to hit the track - I will be commuting more but still would like to have fun in the twists and be able to pass at will on the highway if need be.

By all accounts it sounds like this might be the ideal bike - a lot of pro's: cheaper, better on insurance and gas, more comfortable for longer rides, still has the sporty look which I still desire. The drop in power is the only thing I am worried about.

I think going to test ride a used one is a great idea - will have to put that into action to put my mind at ease.

Thanks for the responses!

bmw675

alot of people have made that a concern, "be able to pass on highway".

I never even seen that to be an issue. It has plenty of power. People have commented needing to drop a gear to pass and what not, wasn't the case for me. I never once thought i was short on power for the streets.

the_cr

The bike should have more than enough for what you're looking for in terms of passing ability and fuel economy. I ride the FZ6R 2-up approximately 90% of the time if not more. Loaded up we have a little more than 410lbs on the bike. I've never felt nervous passing on any kind of road. It excels on our backroads and highways here particularly when traveling around 80-100km/h. That being said if I need to I can still grab the throttle and go on the highway if I need to.

I have been thoroughly impressed with the performance of the bike. At our last fill up, having done 100% of riding 2-up we got 300km on the tank (187 miles) with a little more room to spare.

It handles nicely, very stable and easy. It goes where you point it without a fuss.

All that said if you're looking for an easy ride that you won't have to think about, but can still have some fun with when you like, it's probably the bike for you.

Good luck with your decision :)

Gwai lo 2.0

Old Man, where are you located? If you're near Toronto I'd let you take mine out for a spin.

CDN6R

yeah - i am not coming in to this expecting everything to be the same - in fact, I no longer have the desire to hit the track - I will be commuting more but still would like to have fun in the twists and be able to pass at will on the highway if need be.

By all accounts it sounds like this might be the ideal bike - a lot of pro's: cheaper, better on insurance and gas, more comfortable for longer rides, still has the sporty look which I still desire. The drop in power is the only thing I am worried about.

I think going to test ride a used one is a great idea - will have to put that into action to put my mind at ease.

OM (old man),,, The above thoughts that you wrote are the EXACT reason I bought the FZ6R. For years I rode Super Sport bikes and with the birth on my son 16 years ago I sold my GSXR 750 and had nothing. Last year I got the itch for a bike and was saddened to find that most of the new sport bikes had high seat hights ans me with a 28 inch inseam it was no go. Also I did not want a bike that was going to scare me to death if I happen to crack the throttle or loose control and I wanted something more compy than a GSXR/R6/CBR. So I thought that all there was out there for me was a cruiser and I just could not bring myself to getting one.....it is just not me. Then I sat on the 6R,,lower seat height and great styling to boot. Power? More than enough for me on the highway,,I am very happy with mine. (BTW I am very close to 55 years old)

Soapartist

I will be commuting more but still would like to have fun in the twists and be able to pass at will on the highway if need be.

The drop in power is the only thing I am worried about.

Any dealer that takes in used bikes should have one at some point that you can ride.
Have you tried riding an FZ6? Or thought about an FZ8? The riding positions for both of these is the same as a 6R, but it is a little taller bike, it's torque is a little different, and the bikes have a more "naked" look.
As for power, I've ridden my son's FZ6, and notice a huge difference in the 6 and the 6R... only when the FZ6 hits the powerband. I can't feel my 6R hit anything like that, but it still cooks.. the surge is just a little slower, whereas the FZ6 there is a definite powerband.
That said, on the highway I have absolutely no trouble giving my FZ6R a little flick of the wrist and I'm past anything I want to be passing.
My son had a cow when I bought an FZ6R, telling me they dumbed down the 6R, made it cheaper, and the engine was tuned differently, so I wasn't going to get the performance from mine that he does his.
I just told him I'm an old lady, and I bought the 6R for exactly the reasons he didn't want one so leave alone :Flip: ... I wanted the bike for manuverability, nimbleness, and instant power in the throttle (I'd been riding a cruiser).

stuna

hey im 50 . i have just under 15k on mine and its not 2 years old , and on the back roads it can get you in trouble . but my kid has a fz6 . it sits the same but will smoke the 6r , some days i wish i got got one . but then were would i use it . how much is too much

Soapartist

hey im 50 . i have just under 15k on mine and its not 2 years old , and on the back roads it can get you in trouble . but my kid has a fz6 . it sits the same but will smoke the 6r , some days i wish i got got one . but then were would i use it . how much is too much
Ya know, I've had the same thoughts about my kid's FZ6, but if I had gone for the FZ6, I'd be in waaaay more trouble on a consistent basis.
I have though taken a look at the FZ8, and I'm tellin' ya, it's awfully tempting to get one and turn it into a sport touring bike. Gotta sell some toys If I wanted to trade my toys though ... I've been cut off on buying bikes for now unless I swap one out Heehee..
My kid would be spitting green jealousy bullets:D, Hahahaha!
LOL I decided to start keeping track of how many miles I ride... never had before, but I've had and sold a few bikes, and adding up the ones I have now, I'm putting about 7,500miles per yr collectively. Not as much as some people, but I'm definitely having fun.
I've only got 2,000 on my FZ6R, I've had it for less than a yr, but I've got a cruiser, a dual sport, and a little Ninja besides the FZ6R, so I don't put as many miles on the 6R as someone with one bike to ride.
Oh yeah, I turn 55 the end of the month!!!!:eek::steve:

Soapartist

I think the FZ is a little larger setup too... feels just a tad bigger in the handlebars, etc. for anyone bigger than me LOL I'm 5'5"... inseam about 29ish... but the riding postition is definitely comparable to FZ6R.
My youngest son has an SV650s, and I am litterally laying across his to ride it, feeling like my neck is tweaked to see after I'm laying over the gas tank to reach the grips :D

Rookasaki

Does it have the power of a super sport 600, NO!
But it's no B***H either. This bike is prefect for "street riding" I have no problem keeping up with my buddies in the corners (R1, FZ1, gixxer 750) It's obvious, in the straights I get killed. I've ridden my share of super sports, that being said I chose the FZ6R for the following reasons:

1. Price tag, at least 4k cheaper then a super sport 600.
2. Insurance is way cheaper.
3. Comfort, ergonomics.
4. The bike is more forgiving then a super sport. (making a mistake etc)

Trust me, there is plenty of power to pass on the freeway. This bike stock can run 130+ MPH and run a quarter mile in the low 12's. Not super sport numbers but hey, not to far behind! I have one word that describes this bike over all others I have ridden, "Fun"

CDN6R

Well put "President Rook"... Honestly this is how I look at my FZ6R. If I had a car that would run as fast in the 1/4 mile as the FZ6R, I would think "Damn this thing is FAST". Now since it is a 600 bike all of a sudden it is considered slow compared to other 600 bikes. To me 12 sec 1/4 mile speed is fast no matter what you drive or ride. You can still get in trouble. For me the 6R is a great street bike. Period.

Rookasaki

Well put "President Rook"... Honestly this is how I look at my FZ6R. If I had a car that would run as fast in the 1/4 mile as the FZ6R, I would think "Damn this thing is FAST". Now since it is a 600 bike all of a sudden it is considered slow compared to other 600 bikes. To me 12 sec 1/4 mile speed is fast no matter what you drive or ride. You can still get in trouble. For me the 6R is a great street bike. Period.

:thumbup: I agree brother. It's really a never ending cycle. An R1 rider can bash on an R6 rider.... A Busa rider can bash on an R1 for being slow etc.... It's all about what makes you happy. It doesn't take talent to buy a super sport and twist the throttle.

Soapartist

:thumbup: I agree brother. It's really a never ending cycle. An R1 rider can bash on an R6 rider.... A Busa rider can bash on an R1 for being slow etc.... It's all about what makes you happy. It doesn't take talent to buy a super sport and twist the throttle.
It's always going to be something, with anything you do ... and there will always be someone with something faster, and better.
I like my FZ6R, it gives this granny just enough power to get a little rush now and then. :D
The main reasons I have one is because of the manuverability, the riding position, and it's quick enough for me to get out of the way if I need to.
I'm considering lowering it so I can plant my feet flat instead of one foot or the other.

old man

Thanks all,

Very insightful. I was leaning towards also taking a look at the FZ8 but I like the 6r package better, especially if I can still have a alittle fun on it when the urge arises.

I am figuring from the above responses that it will have plenty of power for when I need it. Just need to find a used one here in the Ottawa area and try it out.

Thanks

TOMIK

I am 52, bought the 6R to go riding with my 19 yr old son, he rides cbr 1000. and he rode my bike few times, he loves my bike a lot because of easyness, comfert and looks. i dont ride like my son, but every time i go out makes me feel i am 20 yrs younger, its an excellent bike for money can buy.