Oil Filter

UncleHilty

Hey everyone, just a bit of advice if you plan on doing your own oil changes, get rid of the stock oil filter and get the K&N #204 with the bolt. It will make you life and oil changes soooo much easier. Last night I did battle with the stock filter for over an hour after two screw drivers through its little body it finally relented and all is well! First time I ever had a problem with the stock, but it will be the last!;)

latony007

Amen to that, why every company does not have the nut on the end of the filter i dont know. Probably pay offs from companies that make strap wrenches. K&N only for both my bikes.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SixRFixR

The end-cap style filter wrench has worked for me. I had to lean on that factory installed one and I glanced at my cheater bar before it broke loose, but it came off. Easy as pie after that, of course.

Chucker

I think the reason the first one is hard to remove is because they put them on dry, before the bike has ever had oil in it. They also probably use a wrench, rather than hand tighten. I've had to struggle with the first oil filter on every new vehicle I've had.

Agree on the end-cap style. I have never had a problem with one of those, providing it was metal and not plastic. I've had filters stuck in a plastic one, and vowed I'd never buy one of those again.