Oil filter bolt tight..help

JimmyC

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2011 FZ6R..Great Bike..I have about 700 Miles on it and I am just getting ready to do the first oil change I know should have done it 600...anyway my oil drain plug seems super tight I was using a 17mm Socket and 3/8 drive ratchet and I can not break this bolt loose...would using a breaker bar be OK...I am afraid to strip the bolt....any one else run into this??

the factory probably uses lock tite on the drain plug. yes make sure to apply pressure evenly along the ratchet and not pulling out to the side and youll be able to break it loose. knock it if you want, but you can even take a hair dryer on high focus on the bolt to melt the lock tite without damaging the paint as well as swelling the threads to expand the hole, then let it cool to shrink again and it should be easier to crack loose. and lastly, liquid wrench, wd-40, anything like that should do the trick too.

CrazyCawi

I wouldnt do what he said....sorry fz6rwhite...i just dont agree. Use a breaker bar, I did. Think about it...your breaking it loose only a 1/4 to half turn...uts safe, trust me. Factory is as tight as an 18 yr...yea you get the point :thumbup: lol

M

mas4489

I did my first oil change, didn't see any signs of locktite on the threads, I'm not to sure that would even be a good idea for them to do.

I have changed my oil 3 times, the bolt was tight every single time.
Not sure if it just gets that way after a while or if its the washer.

breaker bar should be fine, just make sure your going the right way.

Deanohh

How are you going to strip threads by loosening it? If the threads are already stripped it wouldn't be very tight and it would have been done putting it in... but that would be unlikely if the factory did that. I used a breaker bar on my first change so it didn't matter how tight it first was, then when I put it back in I torque to spec.

Like mas4489 said, make sure you are turning the right way or with the breaker bar you will strip it for sure.

ScottM

Like mas4489 said, make sure you are turning the right way or with the breaker bar you will strip it for sure.

You mean turn it the "correct" way. I always have to remember "righty-tighty" "lefty-loosey"

JimmyC

Thanks Everone for your replies and Help...Not worried about stripping the threads I was more worried about stripping the end of the bolt head by having to put so much force on it. Anyway I am going to do the oil Change tomorrow so I will give it a try!!

Thanks again for all the advice

I wouldnt do what he said....sorry fz6rwhite...i just dont agree. Use a breaker bar, I did. Think about it...your breaking it loose only a 1/4 to half turn...uts safe, trust me. Factory is as tight as an 18 yr...yea you get the point :thumbup: lol
im not dissing the breaker bar. but im a mechanic by trade, and have had to resort to the above mentioned methods before on particularly stubborn bolts or places you wont get a breaker bar or any kind of leverage.