oil consumption

crossriverscott

Does any one know what an acceptable oil consumption is per 1000 miles, or say 3000 miles? New to posting so I hope I did this rite

jokerX

On a new vehicle 1L per 5000km is considered 'acceptable'. (1 qt per 3000mi). As for a bike, I am unable to give an official response. Sorry. My own bike has not used any oil in the 2000 km I have ridden.

crossriverscott

Thank you for the responce. Not sure the same applies for bikes seeing that blow-by is hopefully a lot less with smaller diameter piston rings.

Y

yellowfz

You mush have gotten lost , this is a Yamaha FZ6R Forum not a Triumph Forum . :D
Typically there will be very little oil loss , now if we were talking Triumph then that would be different , Triumph maybe a quart or so in a block . :eek: JK

crossriverscott

I did an oil chang at 1200 miles and brought the oil level to the top line of the dipstick. Checked it a couple of times after the that and then got lazy and dident check it for a while. The other day my red oil light came on so i checked it and it was just at or little below the lowest line of the dipstick. Its been about 1600 miles since it was checked before the light. I know shame on me. I was wonder if this was cause for concern. I am aware that a certain amount of blow-by is normal for cars , but what about motorcycles?

osprey

Well, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I wouldn't freak out either.

I would fill it again, and check the oil more often. When you filled it up to the line after changing it, did you check it after a good run? Sometimes it takes a while for the oil to actually settle in to the filter and you could have been down some from the start.

Also, be aware that how and when you check the oil can adversely affect the quality of the measurement. (Bike upright, 5 minutes after running it, not cold, and not immediately after turning it off - That is what I think the owner manual says, and if it doesn't, it should). Do it the same way every time.

If you measure the oil on the kickstand, it will show an incorrect level.

Re: Blow-by: Not sure, but I don't think blow-by would directly result in oil loss/consumption. Given the compression these motors support, I wouldn't think that much gas would get passed the rings.

I would also check for leaks.

Last edited:

crossriverscott

I checked and found no leaks. I always checked the oil when the bike was cold. I thought we had a PCV system on our bikes so i was worried that the oil was getting burned. I looked in the service manual and diden't see one so I must be mistaken. What does our bikes use for a CC vent? I'm going to change the oil and check it as you suggested. I'm still under warranty so I'm not gonna stress. Thanks :) I probly will still stress tho. LOL

Roaddawg

I would think your oil loss is a problem. I have 28k miles on mine and have never had an oil loss anywhere near what you are experiencing. Mines be so very very minimal, that I check it once or twice between oil changes. You have an underlying issue.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

linkgt

Very minimal, did my oil change around 3600miles. now at 7000 and it's still at the top of indicator.

yfz6r

From the top of the fill level to BELOW the BOTTOM line is cause for concern. Something is definitely wrong there. At your mileage, it should be under warranty so don't spend your money on it.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Chucker

I consider it a problem if any engine uses enough oil I have to add between changes. I've only ever had 1 engine that used oil, and it was a 1976 slant 6 with almost 500,000 kms on it.

Deanohh

You mush have gotten lost , this is a Yamaha FZ6R Forum not a Triumph Forum . :D
Typically there will be very little oil loss , now if we were talking Triumph then that would be different , Triumph maybe a quart or so in a block . :eek: JK
Oh that is so funny. It's not the 60's anymore. My Triumph uses no oil and doesn't leak.