not much traffic today?

CrazyCawi

Lol I assume ya'll are lucky lil bastad's(boston accent applied) and out riding the motorcycle today...Im stuck in my little ole office with the sun shining and a beautiful day out...working till 6....

Oh well tomorrow Im going on a 6 hour ride with a buncha guys in a new area of the state to me, supposedly has some amazing twisties!

My view....I see so many bikes roll by uhg lol

Last edited:

bmw675

you better get out tomorrow.

here it's supposed to be mid 90's all week. went for a 2 hour ride early this morning.

Parcho

My wife's little sister is in town so I've been taking the truck everywhere... I'm about to tell them to take the truck and go on the bike.

CrazyCawi

I try that with the wife all the time and then I get the "but we wont be riding together......*long pause*" hahahaha

Parcho

Just got back from riding the bike. Had the girls take the truck. My wife knew I've been dieing to ride it all week, so she didn't care.

I tried riding with her little sister, but she just can't grasp the lean concept so I don't feel comfortable taking her on it around town. Kind of sucks, since her sister wants to ride with me on it so bad. Was hard telling her its too dangerous. Blaming it on my own inexperience helped though.

the_cr

Another option is to not try and teach them the whole leaning thing (assuming you've been providing instruction). If you instruct them to just try and sit straight in the corners (straight as alined with the bike, NOT perpindicular to the ground) you will hopefully maintain constant input from the passenger to the bike, as opposed to them trying to "help".

It certainly made a difference when I started to ride 2 up with my girlfriend. She's 6' so anything she does back there sure has an effect on what's happening at the controls.

And above all else don't try anything fancy with a new passenger. Assume they will be unpredictable if the ride doesn't appear to be routine. A "boring" ride for them is a lot less boring than spending weeks in bandages.

Parcho

I tried different explanations for three different rides around this secluded neighborhood here. It's a pretty safe way to help a new person to get acclimated since it is all dead end roads with curves, u-turns, cul-de-sacs, stop signs and sparce 25 mph traffic etc in it.

I tried first with lean like you would naturally while riding a bike. That didn't work to well since she would over lean all the time, or counter lean when you shouldn't be etc.

I then tried to have her just stay perpendicular to the bike or not lean at all etc. That helped, but made me take some corners really wide, and felt wobbly.

Lastly I told her to just hug me tight and basically flow with my body. That seemed to work the best, but was uncomfortable as hell. Also, in this method, sometimes her natural reflexes kicked in and she'd start leaning to early etc.

I just think its the passenger to be honest. I ride with my wife all the time and its as if she's not even there. Everyone learns differently, but I guess I just don't want to get her hurt because its not clicking for her.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread sorta CC. Don't push your limits to much with the new area, but have fun :)