Noob's attempt at his first build.

bQQm

Hey guys, unfortunately, I haven't got pics yet because I wanted to wait until I'm completely finished with the build. I'm so close it hurts!

I've been working on this build since December 2016 and have finally got it the way I've always wanted it to look like.

Here's a 'mod' list that I've done:

- Renthal motocross bars
- Bar end indicators
- 'Streetfighter' headlight with indicators mounted on them
- Fork covers, to give the forks the 'beefy' look I've always wanted with USD forks.
- Removed chain guard, installed (very) white chain
- Relocated rego plate to swingarm, had to also fit a license plate light.
- Modified rear indicators
- Relocated overflow tank
- Bar end mirrors fitted to inside of bar as bar ends were taken by indicators
- Dunlop Q3 180/55 tyres (changing to 180/60 next time as the profile of the tyre looks so much better)
- Made my own speedo bracket
- 06-2011 R6 headers with no name brand muffler.
- Fitted XJ6 belly pan

Here are some things I still plan to do:
- Fit R1 cheap aftermarket rearsets
- relocate horn, get a much louder horn.
- modify seat to make it so I sit much higher, going for more aggressive riding position.
- Relocate battery or get a low profile battery (Ducati apparently have low profile batteries). This will allow me to completely remove the battery compartyment and the rear tyre guard that goes with it. Making the seat appear to sit much higher from the rear wheel.
- Get a tyre hugger.
- Custom Gold on black plates for aestheticz
- put nice Yamaha decal on the fork guards/belly pan/ swingarm (still thinking about this as I'm not sure if I'll like the look of it).
- Rear brake light with integrated indicators.
- I'm sure there's more, just tired atm.

So there you have it. Someone that had literally no idea with what they were doing managed to get this shit done. I've spent so much money on tools as well. Definitely worth it.

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. Just trying to get the finishing touches done.

bQQm

I'm so close to finishing! Money and effort is stopping me. The only things i have left to do is put the fork guards back on and fix the scratches on my tank (I'm selling it)

Things I haven't done is changing to R1 rearsets. I bought some rearsets but I just want to sell the bike now so I'm not going to do it. I know it's very easy to do though.

I've also added a PCV, I'll include the map I used. This map Is good for low gear power and high gear cruising.

bQQm

I've given up on the fork guards as well D:

maybe ill try it out on my next bike.

fazer1

Hey what's up, nice bike, I'm hoping to do the exhaust sometime in the near future and have customed my bike out a lot too.

What are the fork covers you were going to use? One of my biggest complaints about this bike is the suspension, I upgraded the front internals to racetech and included the gold valve emulators, but the forks from the outside still look weak...

Also, what fork mounting brackets did you use for the headlight and windscreen?

bQQm

Hey what's up, nice bike, I'm hoping to do the exhaust sometime in the near future and have customed my bike out a lot too.

What are the fork covers you were going to use? One of my biggest complaints about this bike is the suspension, I upgraded the front internals to racetech and included the gold valve emulators, but the forks from the outside still look weak...

Also, what fork mounting brackets did you use for the headlight and windscreen?

Can't wait to see your progress! have you got current pictures?

I'm not sure of the model for the guards, but the brand in Australia is called UFO, they made my bar pad as well. I just went to my local motorcycle superstore, go to the dirt section and looked at some plastic guards/covers that were the correct length and looked somewhat okay. I've added the for guards to the album http://imgur.com/a/LJaai

I don't really like the look of the fork guards, look somewhat cheap but it's better than what the suspension looks like normally.

The headlight is one whole unit. It came with it's own (rubber) mounts that seem to do the trick. I used an aluminium strip to make two brackets for the speedo. Didnt have to bend or form it or anything. Just cut the strips into smaller strips, then drill some holes so i can bolt it under the top yoke. So simple.

fazer1

You can see pics if you click on my avatar photo and then in the left column click on the photo album. I've added CRG short levers since the pics though. I also lowered my front-end about 1 inch. I've see others lower it as much as 1.5 inches, but you'll notice a handling difference at even just lowering it an inch.

What suspension are you using on that bike, and is the cannister for the front or rear suspension? Was it hard to put the R6 headers on and what year header did you get? Performance increase is noticeable?

What seat and rearsets you plan to use?

bQQm

Damn those are some interesting looking bars!

What's the purpose of lowering the front end? I think mine was lowered when i bought it, cause it's lower than my mates xj6. Either that or the forks need servicing.

Suspension is completely stock.

The NOS cannister is just for my radiator coolant.

R6 headers were hard only because i dove into this with no tools and no experience or knowledge of what I was doing. I got 2006-20012 headers, bashed where there was contact at the oil pan and bent the bracket at the end of them for mounting. Here's a full description from one of my videos of what I had to do to the headers:

"2006+ r6 headers with no name brand muffler and baffle removed. First time I done a sound sample video. Obviously sounds better in person but I'm happy with it.

Had to bend the bottom where it touches the oil pan. Also bent the bracket that was welded on to the headers cause it was obstructing from getting the headers installed. It was a pain to actually get the headers on cause they didn't exactly slip right in. Managed to get them on after a while.

Next problem I faced was the exhaust inlet didn't fit so I just went to a local muffler shop and asked them for advice. I was willing to pay for them go make an adapter/filler so the muffler would stay on but they just expanded the headers for free surprisingly.

Lastly, the rear brake pedal was being obstructed by the muffler. Not allowing me to use it completely. I just used an angle grinder to shave down some of the back of the pedal and now it clears just fine. I was going to put some r1 rearsets on but didn't get around to it.

I'm happy and didn't spend much money. I believe this is the cheapest alternative to all the aftermarket out there, as well as looks the best.

I believe anyone can do this as I jumped into this project with like no experience. You just got to have some basic tools."

I didn't have any plans for the seat, was just going to buy a 'comfort' seat from ebay. As for rearsets I was just going to use cheap aftermarket R1 rearsets cause they're the easiest. Just have to drill one hole. I seen this on another mate of mine's bike and it makes the profile of the bike look that much better. He also welded pillion rearsets onto the rear of the frame right before the rear fairings start.

fazer1

Cool, thanks for the details! The bars were made for Ducati Monster by a small company in Ohio called Suburban Machinery. Those bars get a lot of attention.

Albert Chin

Damn those are some interesting looking bars!

What's the purpose of lowering the front end? I think mine was lowered when i bought it, cause it's lower than my mates xj6. Either that or the forks need servicing.

Suspension is completely stock.

The NOS cannister is just for my radiator coolant.

R6 headers were hard only because i dove into this with no tools and no experience or knowledge of what I was doing. I got 2006-20012 headers, bashed where there was contact at the oil pan and bent the bracket at the end of them for mounting. Here's a full description from one of my videos of what I had to do to the headers:

"2006+ r6 headers with no name brand muffler and baffle removed. First time I done a sound sample video. Obviously sounds better in person but I'm happy with it.

Had to bend the bottom where it touches the oil pan. Also bent the bracket that was welded on to the headers cause it was obstructing from getting the headers installed. It was a pain to actually get the headers on cause they didn't exactly slip right in. Managed to get them on after a while.

Next problem I faced was the exhaust inlet didn't fit so I just went to a local muffler shop and asked them for advice. I was willing to pay for them go make an adapter/filler so the muffler would stay on but they just expanded the headers for free surprisingly.

Lastly, the rear brake pedal was being obstructed by the muffler. Not allowing me to use it completely. I just used an angle grinder to shave down some of the back of the pedal and now it clears just fine. I was going to put some r1 rearsets on but didn't get around to it.

I'm happy and didn't spend much money. I believe this is the cheapest alternative to all the aftermarket out there, as well as looks the best.

I believe anyone can do this as I jumped into this project with like no experience. You just got to have some basic tools."

I didn't have any plans for the seat, was just going to buy a 'comfort' seat from ebay. As for rearsets I was just going to use cheap aftermarket R1 rearsets cause they're the easiest. Just have to drill one hole. I seen this on another mate of mine's bike and it makes the profile of the bike look that much better. He also welded pillion rearsets onto the rear of the frame right before the rear fairings start.
Hey bro.

I've a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion 2014, half fairing edition.

Recently Ive replaced the stock rearsets to the 2005 Yamaha rearsets as I have short legs and my height is 155cm.

Drilling and tapping extra holes to attach it is one thing but making the mounting bracket for the brake pump is a nightmare as I reuse the stock brake pump. The brake hose is flipped to compensate for the angle of the mountmmexport1556831885636.jpg

mmexport1556831886862.jpg1560790071445.jpg

Attachments

Albert Chin

Hey bro.

I've a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion 2014, half fairing edition.

Recently Ive replaced the stock rearsets to the 2005 Yamaha rearsets as I have short legs and my height is 155cm.

Drilling and tapping extra holes to attach it is one thing but making the mounting bracket for the brake pump is a nightmare as I reuse the stock brake pump. The brake hose is flipped to compensate for the angle of the mountView attachment 41428

View attachment 41427View attachment 41430
Some other pics are here