NHTSA - Georgia

sammy56

sammy56

Really????
There are 45 comments on riding over 20 mph "riding fast", but none on the law profiling motorcycles? Am I on the right forum??

LB

sammy56

Thanks.
GA laws are vague (code section 40-8-26)..."signals must be visible from front and rear." Just seeking some feedback and perhaps my concerns are overblown. I guess I will find out!!

LB

Sage

ah, my state signals are optional so that's why I was asking :p

MikeN02

Your original post confuses me. I don't know what the "grant" is. I thought you had a clear understanding of the law and lived in a state where there are motorcycle checks.

Majority of stuff on motorcycles are illegal (exhausts for track only not street, cat for emissions, turn signals so and so apart, reflectors, plate light, etc) but not many law enforcement are looking specifically for it.

Lets say you're being an A hole and speeding. Then more of likely they'll add on to your ticket with those mentioned above. If the cop does point that out to you then they ride themselves and usually those cops who ride are pretty lenient.

sammy56

The "grant" is federal money (your tax dollars), going to GA law enforcement specifically to set up motorcycle check points (on any GA road) just to inspect the bikes. Fun eh!!

LB

FitZ6R

The "grant" is federal money (your tax dollars), going to GA law enforcement specifically to set up motorcycle check points (on any GA road) just to inspect the bikes. Fun eh!!
You know, I have great respect for LEOs and the difficult and dangerous work that they do. But selective enforcement against politically unpopular groups is BS. This calls for a class action legal challenege.

I'm also thinking that a flash mob response would be interesting. "Hey, everyone, the police are offering free safety checks at...." A few hundred bikes showing up (in a peaceful and law-abiding manner, of course) and jamming traffic at the checkpoint might cause the police and the general public to rethink this strategy.

I've never been stopped on my bike, but I was profiled in a DUI sweep one Friday night, when the cops were pulling over every pickup truck on a stretch of road with a lot of bars. The officer took a look at the kids sleeping in the back (we were going home from the drive in movie) and let me go, but not without saying that he "noticed me weaving." Even my wife agreed that I wasn't, but I assume he wanted something recorded on his remote mic as fake probable cause for the stop.