New to riding

SuddenRush

Hey everyone! Just bought my first bike. 2009 white FZ6R (in the process of removing/covering up the stickers). I started practicing the clutch and brake today. I did pretty well I'd say. I'm looking forward to actually being comfortable on the bike tho! I got my MSF course next month so I have a few weeks of practice before I'm on the rode. Wish me luck!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Hey everyone! Just bought my first bike. 2009 white FZ6R (in the process of removing/covering up the stickers). I started practicing the clutch and brake today. I did pretty well I'd say. I'm looking forward to actually being comfortable on the bike tho! I got my MSF course next month so I have a few weeks of practice before I'm on the rode. Wish me luck!
Can i give you a few tips?
-Never get too comfortable on a motorcycle.
-Always think other drivers have the intent to kill(this should keep you on your toes)
-When doing slow speed maneuvers, pull the clutch in a tiny bit so any imperfections in throttle technique wont make you fall, the clutch slip will help.
-Using the rear brake also smooths out throttle and can help you acheive slow speeds.
-Stay on two wheels. :)

Hope this helps some. I have only been riding since Aug of '13 but i would love to share what i have learned. :p

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Great tips. Also, don't be afraid to handle the bike and maneuver it. It's a solid piece of machinery, it won't break.

I was wary about handling it and ended up dropping it in my driveway because of this.
Oh and in an emergency, never drop it. You can lose more speed or avoid the crash by keep the bike up. And in my state, you fall = you are at fault for the crasch since you lost control of your vehicle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jarshie

congrats on the purchase! I'm quite the new rider as well (bought/rode my first motorcycle in late jan)

another tip... if you can, stay out of therange of cars.. learned very quickly that even if they LOOK at you, they dont see you. so i tend to get past a car or let off and allow them some distance in case they decide to be in my lane... as stated, they all have a intent to kill you

Fizzer6R

awesome congrats!

yes like said, stay as far away from other traffic as possible, assume they can't see you, most don't even care

once you get going and start hitting the turns, always try to remember not to panic if you think you can't make the turn/going too fast. do not brake through a turn it will stand the bike up, lean lean and lean much as you can and keep turning - the bike can handle just about whatever you try to make it do, the weak spot is the rider

take it slow, be careful

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Last edited:

latony007

Can i give you a few tips?
-Never get too comfortable on a motorcycle.
-Always think other drivers have the intent to kill(this should keep you on your toes)
-When doing slow speed maneuvers, pull the clutch in a tiny bit so any imperfections in throttle technique wont make you fall, the clutch slip will help.
-Using the rear brake also smooths out throttle and can help you acheive slow speeds.
-Stay on two wheels. :)

Hope this helps some. I have only been riding since Aug of '13 but i would love to share what i have learned. :p
These are good tips coming from a new rider. I always assume every person turning at an intersection or pulling out of a driveway etc. is going to pull out in front of my and that has always helped. Id like to add GET GEAR ASAP. Gloves, armor jacket, of course helmet.

These are good tips coming from a new rider. I always assume every person turning at an intersection or pulling out of a driveway etc. is going to pull out in front of my and that has always helped. Id like to add GET GEAR ASAP. Gloves, armor jacket, of course helmet.
Thats always why i grab my front brake a tiny bit to warm them up whenever i see something that could hit me and so i do not have to reach for the lever which reduces brake timing.

Oh and one more tip:
Never and i really mean NEVER just grab and pull the brake lever!! You apply your brakes in a even, linear manner. This will lock up your front end and you will fall. To prevent this, practice slowly adding pressure to the brake lever like you would do in a car. This increases the tire's contact patch so when you are at full brake power, it has proven to prevent locking up.

I was worried about how to really use the front brake and this has really helped me get some confidence in my braking abilities.(i was actually scared of my front brake at one point :p )

latony007

Thats always why i grab my front brake a tiny bit to warm them up whenever i see something that could hit me and so i do not have to reach for the lever which reduces brake timing.

Oh and one more tip:
Never and i really mean NEVER just grab and pull the brake lever!! You apply your brakes in a even, linear manner. This will lock up your front end and you will fall. To prevent this, practice slowly adding pressure to the brake lever like you would do in a car. This increases the tire's contact patch so when you are at full brake power, it has proven to prevent locking up.

I was worried about how to really use the front brake and this has really helped me get some confidence in my braking abilities.(i was actually scared of my front brake at one point :p )
Thats funny a lot of guys seem to only use the front, but i think you need to use both pretty much all the time and as mentioned slamming either does not work out so well normally.