New to Riding - Shifting

cmilli09

Hey Guys!

I recently just got into riding and found that the FZ6R was being labelled as a great "First Bike", so I ended up buying one. I'm extremely excited to start riding and found that the FZ6R has been a great starter bike, as everything about it is super smooth.

With that being said, I'd like to know if any of you have tips on learning how to shift as a beginner. We were all beginners once and maybe you had a hard time learning too. I'm not used to shifting gears while driving and I haven't been too good at it with my bike so far. I don't want to damage the transmission by shifting incorrectly, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me for shifting. I've watched countless videos of how to shift correctly, and it seems that my brain just isn't used to it. Any tips would certainly help!

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

cmilli09

Awesome! I actually live in a secluded neighborhood where I have a 1/2 mile long circle to practice on with maybe a car or two going by every 5 minutes, so I'll definitely give this a go.

xorbe

Also, keep your rpms down for a while, in case you shift the wrong way. It's the difference between lurching forward and getting a scare, versus flying off the bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

LKLD

^ that's some good advice. :thumbup:

When teaching my wife and daughter to ride last year, showing them where the clutch engages/disengages in the clutch handle's travel was paramount to them "getting it".

Somewhere around the middle of the clutch handle travel is where the clutch engages (letting out) and disengages (pulling in). Knowing where this happens on your bike, will make shifting gears much easier. Like was mentioned, practice (from a stop) letting out the clutch handle, to get an idea where the clutch is trying to engage. From there, just give a tiny bit of throttle, as you let out more clutch. This will get you going.

While riding, and shifting into gears, your pull on the clutch handle will be done with a brisk pull. You can pull all the way to the grip if you want, but you really only need to pull to that point where you felt it engage/disengage in your earlier practices. You can keep the throttle steady when shifting up, but not down so much. Downshifting requires a bit more finesse, so you'll want to ease the clutch out when you downshift. Too quickly, when going too fast, and you can throw you body way forward. Keep an eye on your tachometer when shifting up or down. After awhile you'll start to get a feel for it, based on the engine sound and feel.

Everyone has gone through the learning experience, and we know what it's like to try and learn this. You're a smart one to ask this question. Hope you learn easily. :thumbup:

csmcmillion

My advice is to learn to shift on a better bike. The gear box on the 6r is a real clunker compared to many other bikes. Many reviews have cited the poor shifting on the 6r as one of the weak points of the model.

BzB

My advice is to learn to shift on a better bike. The gear box on the 6r is a real clunker compared to many other bikes. Many reviews have cited the poor shifting on the 6r as one of the weak points of the model.
Op should learn on the bike they have. After all it is the one they'll be riding regularly. The gear box on the 6r is fine imo, although I can only compare to the cbr300. Only thing that took a little more "getting used to" for me was where the clutch engages. On the 6r the clutch engages when the lever is almost all the way out, others engage closer to the grip.

Either way practice practice practice. Mastering the friction zone is the key to smooth shifting.

Another tip (from one newb to another :D) in regards to starting off when you're on a incline is to use your rear brake to hold you steady while giving medium throttle and easing out the clutch. Rear brake is good for inclines because it's difficult to use your right hand to hold the front brake and work the throttle at the same time.

csmcmillion

Op should learn on the bike they have. After all it is the one they'll be riding regularly. The gear box on the 6r is fine imo, although I can only compare to the cbr300.
I thought the 6r was OK, too. Then I rode the R6, then the R1 then the BMW 1000RR. Compared to the BMW, the 6r's gear box feels like a crate of broken bricks, especially on clutchless upshifts. Of course, a 6r doesn't quite cost what the BMW does, either. :D

aburnett

If you are that new to riding, I am also assuming that you do not have your endorsement. I would recommend taking a MSF Basic Rider Course. When I began, I took it at a local community college which cost me around $350. But the advantage to that is they provide bikes and actually give you the written and road test. Once you pass you can just take the paperwork to your licensing office to get your endorsement. I would highly recommend taking a course for all new riders.

thecdn

I would recommend taking a MSF Basic Rider Course.
In Florida new riders have to take a basic rider course to get their license. My son had to 7 years ago. Should be a requirement everywhere.

Also, now that I'm old and not affected by it, there should be some form of graduated licensing so newbs can't buy 1000cc death machines they aren't ready for. I'm tired of seeing kids hurt/killed on bikes they had no business riding.