New to FZ-6r

kchen

I finally picked up a '09 fz-6r from a private owner this week. I started riding in March of this year with a Ninja 250. I rode about 5.5k miles on the ninja before upgrading.

After riding around 100 miles today, I realized that the handles are pretty stiff is that normal? Taking turns, I have to seriously hold the handles tightly down because it feels like the bike keeps trying to pull up and go straight. I believe I got the turning techniques down from the Ninja (countersteer or push the bars to lean the bike, and then lean the body). I even had my buddy who rides the R6 try it out, and he agrees that the handles are a lot stiffer than his.

I'm just wondering if the previous owner touched the suspensions or forks or is it that the stock FZ-6R is like that?

Any insights are good.

Thanks,
Kevin.

redwing-2001

I finally picked up a '09 fz-6r from a private owner this week. I started riding in March of this year with a Ninja 250. I rode about 5.5k miles on the ninja before upgrading.

After riding around 100 miles today, I realized that the handles are pretty stiff is that normal? Taking turns, I have to seriously hold the handles tightly down because it feels like the bike keeps trying to pull up and go straight. I believe I got the turning techniques down from the Ninja (countersteer or push the bars to lean the bike, and then lean the body). I even had my buddy who rides the R6 try it out, and he agrees that the handles are a lot stiffer than his.

I'm just wondering if the previous owner touched the suspensions or forks or is it that the stock FZ-6R is like that?

Any insights are good.

Thanks,
Kevin.
check your tire pressure and then match to the sticker on the left swingarm according to your weight. Probably low. Check your suspension setting as well. search this forum for lots of ideas on where to set the suspension. Was the bike ever in a wreck?
Once you get everything dialed in you will realize what a good choice you made.
Congratulations and ride safely.

kchen

check your tire pressure and then match to the sticker on the left swingarm according to your weight. Probably low. Check your suspension setting as well. search this forum for lots of ideas on where to set the suspension. Was the bike ever in a wreck?
Once you get everything dialed in you will realize what a good choice you made.
Congratulations and ride safely.

Thanks! By the looks of the bike. It looks really in good shape. Doesn't seem dropped. Previous owner says he didn't touch the suspensions. I'll check tire pressure. 33/36 right? I love the bike though :)

oldtouring b

Tires

I would suggest 36/40 and check the wear pattern on the tires. It sounds like they are flat spotted by center wear. The new Continental Motion tires are awesome. Ride safe..

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

kchen

yeah, my tires was really deflated.. 19psi up front and i think 20 something in the rear. I just filled them to 33/38. Haven't tested the bike yet because it's raining in soCal. :(

Alex6

yeah, my tires was really deflated.. 19psi up front and i think 20 something in the rear. I just filled them to 33/38. Haven't tested the bike yet because it's raining in soCal. :(
Reading Owner's Manual helps too. See Page 5-1.

Millhouse

Enjoy the bike man. My first bike was also a 09 ninja 250r. The Fz6R is SO much more of a bike. Makes the little ninja seem like a toy. I did notice when I first got my Fz that the handling felt a little funny at first. Had a top heavy feel to me. Now that ive put a couple thousand miles on it I'm used to how it handles and I feel a lot more comfortable.

kchen

Enjoy the bike man. My first bike was also a 09 ninja 250r. The Fz6R is SO much more of a bike. Makes the little ninja seem like a toy. I did notice when I first got my Fz that the handling felt a little funny at first. Had a top heavy feel to me. Now that ive put a couple thousand miles on it I'm used to how it handles and I feel a lot more comfortable.
I just got the bike last tuesday, and i put on 250 miles already. Today, i went on my Ninja 250 for the first time since I got the FZ. Damn, the ninja feels like a scooter haha.