New Suspension and Brakes

roadrat

Wow, all I can say is AMAZING!!! Just got my bike back after putting on Race Tech straight rate fork springs with Gold Valve emulators, a Race Tech rear shock with red Eibach spring, Accossato master brake cylinder and levers as well as Galfer SS brake lines. Also dropped the front end 4 mm. MY FZ6r IS A WHOLE NEW BIKE!! :steve:

Extremely smooth and plush ride now... the suspension absorbs an amazing amount of road bumps and the brakes are so much more responsive!! A lot less fork drop on braking and feels more solid on acceleration. Had a chance to carve a few turns and the result is amazing! These mods are definitely worth doing.

Thanks to Nasty Butler, Chucker and wtnotch for giving me the idea to do it!! :D

Work was done by Trackoholics in Oceanside, CA. Great shop and I highly recommend them if you live in So Cal. :thumbup:

Last edited:

TokenSSDD

Sounds like a sick setup. How much did everything run you?

Chucker

I'm jealous. I haven't had a chance to get out and enjoy my Race Tech setup yet.

wtnotch

Wow, all I can say is AMAZING!!! ...
Yeah, that pretty much says it :) It's really hard to describe the difference - you really have to ride the bike with the suspension mods to understand. I'm really glad you think it was worth it!

I installed the Accossato master cylinder a week ago, and like you say, the feeling is way more responsive. I managed to inadvertently lock up the front wheel (briefly) the first time I got on the brakes hard, and that's something that I could not do with the stock setup.

Russ

roadrat

Sounds like a sick setup. How much did everything run you?
Well, it was about $1400, but there are ways to do it cheaper. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do your own work. You could use a used R6 master cylinder instead of the Accossato, and skip the emulators. Plus I had them do the 4k service while the bike was in there.

It's a big chunk of change, but all in all I'm very happy with the result. :D

Chucker

I got my front and rear springs for $300 CAD delivered, inc. taxes. I chose to go without emulators until I assess the new springs without them. I also changed the fork oil to BelRay 15W. Don't remember the cost on that. The cost of the labour was just the unhappiness of my wife because I spent a day working on my bike.

The front springs are really easy if you don't want to change the oil. You can just pull them out, put in the new springs, and then cut your spacer for your preload. But you really should go to heavier oil as stock is 5W, which is too light for damper rod forks.

Chucker

It's a big chunk of change, but all in all I'm very happy with the result. :D
Personally, I believe that's better money spent than exhaust.

wtnotch

I definitely agree, and I've done both.

I've always been a suspension weenie, especially when I was racing motocross. I'd leave the engine stock and typically re-valve the suspension before I even rode the bike.

I think with the FZ6R, the price point Yamaha shot for effected the suspension the most.

Russ

roadrat

Out of cash for now, but I think an exhaust will probably be the next BIG project... pretty awesome to be able to do a little research in the forum here and make good decisions on what mods to do. :D

roadrat

Did you get a rear shock or just spring
Full on Race Tech rear shock too... just an Eibach spring because the RT spring is blue and the Eibach red.

Chucker