New rider thinking of getting the FZ6R

r0bot

Hello,
I am just getting into motorcycle ridding coming from a past of nothing related lol just always had a very strong draw to bikes. I am signed up for the MSF course here in Southern California for next weekend and am planning on taking the written test and getting my license shortly after. I have been looking at bikes (new and used) and feel I have made my decision to get the FZ6R. I have heard from some other riders that this is border line to having to much power for a beginner but after reading through this entire forum (all 3 pages) and seeing a lot of new riders with nothing but positive things to say I am convinced it will work out great for me.
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I dont have any friends in the area into riding and was curious if there was any other FX6R riders in the San Diego area that would be down to ride and maybe show me a few things =). Hope to post some more soon with pics of the new bike once i pick one up.

Daryl J

K

kellybt1052

Good luck with course and welcome. I was in a similar place last september and went with an FZ6 over a number of other bikes. It is actually quite a nice bike to learn and develop skills. It is remarkeably versatile and is really 2-3 different bikes in one. It is very easy to grow with and will pretty good at lower RPM's ans speeds as well. Very predicatable and easy to ride! It has tons of and the power is remarkeable as you gain confidence and start to play in the upper end of the Revs and get more agressive. They only downside is the suspension, it is quite easy to develop your skills to a point where you can reach the end of the suspension capabilites, which are FAR lower than the chassis and engine. There are lots of threads on how to modify the suspension though here. I have new springs coming this week for mine to help. Sorry to rant, enjoy the bike and start with GOOD GEAR, it is the best "mod" you can invest in!!
Brian

MNDZA

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a new rider. My ONLY experience on a bike was the MSF course I took 2 weeks ago. I just got my license and bike Thursday. The FZ6R is very easy to control and is no problem for a beginner such as myself. You need to have self control though because even though the bike is geared towards beginners it is still very powerful. Just be careful with your right hand and pay attention to everything around you and you'll be fine. Have fun!

MNDZA

The other responder is referring to the FZ6 which has considerably more power than the FZ6R.

S

shamrocker

Welcome to the site and good luck with your bike search. I think the FZ6R is a nice bike and I bet you'll love it!

A

Alpine

Fist and foremost, welcome to the forum. :welcome: This place has soooo much to teach you as a new rider. Use the "search" function liberally and you will be rewarded with the answer to most any question you may have. The folks here are super helpful and generous with their knowledge and experiences. I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that there are only three pages here, there are hundreds, maybe thousands! Click the "forum" tab below the banner at the top of the page and watch your world expand.
I was new (still am) to motorcycles last summer. The FZ6 has been an excellent bike to learn on and one I will have for a long time. As stated above, it is very versatile with plenty of room for you to grow as your skills improve.
Regardless of which bike you end up with, the most important thing to remember is: ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) :thumbup:

fz6rwolf

It's a great choice, I researched and sat on alot of bikes narrowing down my decision. The FZ6R ended up being the most comfortable for me at the price I wanted. It's comfy, got plenty of power so won't outgrow it soon but the powerband is easy to control (ie: not twitchy like some sportbikes) and I think looks great to boot. I'm still looking for few mods I want to do like bar risers (need about 1 inch I think for me), gps power outlet and mount for my little Garmin Nuvi, slightly wider and taller windscreen for long highway trips and I think will be set, maybe one day someone will make good looking hard easily removeable side cases (I like how the vfr has side cases that actually look good and really match the bike, I think the FZ6R could look really good with something like that and could be turned into a true sport-tourer with the good ergonomics it already has). I've in the meantime already put Cortech soft saddlebags on and a tank bag to make it very versatile. I'm now over 600 miles and need 1st service done very soon. So far best mpg I've gotten is 43, has usually been around 41mpg but that may go up with some more miles (plus I've been going up and down the rpm range alot during this break-in period and that hasn't helped the mpg much LOL). Oh, if you decide to get one the blue looks best with bug splatterings on it from a nice spirited ride;)

V

VEGASRIDER

If you take the MSF course and you pass (which you will) you will automatically receive a completion card that you can take to your local DMV and get your motorycle license. No additional testing is needed:Flash:

r0bot

If you take the MSF course and you pass (which you will) you will automatically receive a completion card that you can take to your local DMV and get your motorycle license. No additional testing is needed:Flash:
Oh, thats good to know, i thought you were required to take the writen M1 test at the DMV still. I was going to call for some more information on this but thanks for the heads up.

Also thanks everyone for your responses and support, makes me know once I do get my bike I will at least have some good people for support and information.

Daryl J

MNDZA

Here in Illinois you still have to take the DMV test to get your "M" endorsement even if you pass the MSF course.....UNLESS you take the "official" Sec. of State sponsored MSF courses. However, the classes usually fill up for the year within a couple days of being posted. Still, the DMV test is pretty easy.

S

scoobydrvr

I seriously considered the FZ6R, but finally decided on the FZ6 simply because of my height. At 6'2", the 6R just layed me down more than I cared to deal with. I could tell within a few minutes of sitting on it and talking to the (rather ambitious) salesman that I knew I wasn't going to be able to take very long rides. Just something to consider if you're approaching the edges of height normality.

Regardless of what you get, you will definitely enjoy the purchase. Welcome to the forum!

r0bot

I seriously considered the FZ6R, but finally decided on the FZ6 simply because of my height. At 6'2", the 6R just layed me down more than I cared to deal with. I could tell within a few minutes of sitting on it and talking to the (rather ambitious) salesman that I knew I wasn't going to be able to take very long rides. Just something to consider if you're approaching the edges of height normality.

Regardless of what you get, you will definitely enjoy the purchase. Welcome to the forum!
Hey schoobydvr,
Thanks for your input, i am 6'3" this is something I have considered alot. Originally when i started looking into bikes above the 500cc range i checked out the Ninja 650R the Yamaha FZ6R and the Suzuki SV650SF. After sitting on each of the three i felt that as far as leander over riding the Suzuki was the worst, followed by the Yamaha and the Ninja was very up right. The Yamaha had felt best for me when i first sat down but this is coming from soneone who has never even turned on a bike or put my feet up on the pegs so im not sure how i can be sure im making the right decision.

S

scoobydrvr

Hey schoobydvr,
Thanks for your input, i am 6'3" this is something I have considered alot. Originally when i started looking into bikes above the 500cc range i checked out the Ninja 650R the Yamaha FZ6R and the Suzuki SV650SF. After sitting on each of the three i felt that as far as leander over riding the Suzuki was the worst, followed by the Yamaha and the Ninja was very up right. The Yamaha had felt best for me when i first sat down but this is coming from soneone who has never even turned on a bike or put my feet up on the pegs so im not sure how i can be sure im making the right decision.
That's a tough one. I cut my teeth on a Kawa Ninja 250 and it wasn't too bad in town, but as soon as it took a longer drive (about 70 miles) I knew I needed something more upright and started basing my search off of that. For me, the FZ6 (not the 6R) was the best choice. Like I said, all the other sport bikes lay me over to much.
You might see if the dealer has a stand or something to hold the bike upright so you can really get on the bike. They might think you're crazy, but try to spend some time on it. Get your feet up on the pegs and rest like you'll be riding. I suppose that's the best way you can find out (dealers aren't too keen on letting fresh riders take new bikes out).
Keep us posted, but once you've done your research, go with your gut reaction. It's usually a pretty darn good choice. ;)

C

CravenMoorhead

Hi Robot, I am 6'4" and choose the FZ6R specifically because it fit me the best after sitting on (similar) bike after bike. The unique seat height and fore/aft adjustment is important but ultimately the standard position was best for me. I started a thread a week ago aboutthe upright position and the R on this board.

Welcome and be safe.

r0bot

Just passed by written M1 test today and have my permit. Taking the motorcycle saftey program classes this weekend. Should be a licensed m1 by end of next week =)

C

chimneydoc

Rider magazine for May has a nice write up on the FZ6R. When I got back into riding again I went for the bigest bike I felt I could handle. Good luck

Doc

r0bot

Just finished my Motorcycle Saftey Program, on Friday I had never even started a bike, now I feel confident enough to start out very slow on my new FZ6R I will be picking up next weekend. Be sure there will be some pics, thinking black...

C

CravenMoorhead

Congrats on completing the safety course! Black is nice and you could put the few bucks you save toward some mods...good luck.

D

dankatz

Congrats! i signed up my wife for next month, first weekend that I can take care of the kids for her. :cool:

D

dean owens

congrats on passing the course. and i'm sure i'm not going to change your mind... but let me throw something out there. this is opinion only, so take it for what it is. i really think that someone who is just starting off riding should look for an older, smaller, standard bike.

older - starting out you will most likely drop your bike. it stinks to drop your bike... but it really stinks to drop your new bike. and plastic ain't cheap. my brother-in-law found this out the hard way.

smaller - simply easy to learn on. and there are always beginners so most of the time you can sell it for just about what you paid for it. maybe a hundred or two less, but when you think about the fact that you got to "rent" a bike for a year at $100.00 it's actually pretty good. and if you've done so much damage as to lose more than a few hundred... well, it's good that it wasn't on your brand new baby.

standard - what feels good before riding might not feel good to you when you're actually riding. again with my brother-in-law... when he started riding he decided his first bike was going to be a new cbr600. obviously too much bike... but he couldn't be talked out of it. after a few months of riding he realized that he didn't want a sport bike because it wasn't a comfortable ride. it felt good in the store when he sat on it. but on the road, not so good. he took a decent hit on trading it back in.

i know what it's like to really want your bike now. but i can tell you that three years ago when i started riding i would have never even looked at an fz6. but after a few years of riding, finding out what works for me and what i really want... the fz6 ended up being the best bike on the market for the price i could afford.

regardless of what bike you get, congrats and welcome to the fun world of motorcycles.