New Rider (Owner soon)

Comiha22

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi and ask a couple questions. I'm new to the sport, and basically have no experience other than a dirtbike ride or two a long time ago. I'm taking my MSC this Friday-Sunday, and am looking to pick up an FZ6R sometime within the next 2 weeks (Blue or Raven, haven't decided yet).

I've really enjoyed reading up on the bike, and this site has been especially helpful. From the looks of it I've picked a pretty solid starter bike that will be just as enjoyable once I'm a more experienced rider.

That said, any riding advice/gear recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to be part of the family!

unleased1287

helmets and jackets will save ur life as far as the bike i have never heard any one that owns it complain i love it. its my first 600 and for the price i dont think anything would of been better for me even with my girl on the back of it it still handles like a charm and just as fast.

cbzdel

Cant beat it for the price, I love it so far!

J

jtarkany

:welcome: I have no idea about the FZ6R, but I haven't heard any complaints.

F

fast blue one

The reports I've read have it down as a gentler version of the FZ6 s2 and it is being marketed in the UK as a good bike for new riders. Enjoy:thumbup:

M

MyFirstBike

Just make sure you get setup with jacket, gloves, helmet, and really important...frame sliders... the best 60 bucks or so you could spend on the bike. especially because you may not be used to the weight of the bike...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:welcome:

You will love this bike if you choose to go with it as your first. It has been a great experience for me as well as many others.

As far as gear goes, I am of the mindset that you should wear all your gear all the time. Sweat is far easier to wash off than road rash, and a hell of a lot less painful! I have a Cortech textile jacket, Cortech gloves, TCX X-square boots and a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet. The boots are so amazingly comfortable, that I wear them all day long. When you are looking for a jacket, think about dressing for a crash, not the weather.

Good luck in your MSF, you'll learn a ton. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a bunch of great and knowledgeable people on this forum.

Ride safe and enjoy.

phocoyote7

Your story sounds the same as mine, only had dirt bike experience prior to owning this bike. This bike is solid and has been good to me, I love it and enjoy riding it.

As far as gear, what I learned in MSF is full faced helemet DOT approved. A good jacket and boots and gloves. I ride in jeans, but do have a pair of riding pants but feel like I'm wearing snow pants. Have thought about buying a pair of the shift jeans.

Gear I own is;
Shoei X-11 helmet
Shift Avenger Jacket
Shift Fuel Street Shoes (I'm able to wear at work all day)
Shift Stealth gloves (wear for summertime)
Alpinestars GP Pro gloves

My biased opinion is buy the blue ;) j/k, that is what I own. I love the yamaha blue. Black would be my second choice though.

GoGreen09

Blue is the only way to go. :thumbup:

Check out www.sportbiketrackgear for some Scorpion helmets on sale. For your first mod, definitely get the frame sliders!

Ride safe!

fz6rwolf

Welcome, you'll like.:D:welcome:

xplodnstar

Welcome, welcome!!!

Everyone says the same things about jackets and helmets, basically, but when it comes to pants, everyone feels different. Riding pants don't have to be snow gear. I have a couple pairs of comfortable jeans with protective liners and knee pads. There are lots of choices out there, but find something that fits you both physically and aesthetically.

Personally, my favorites are the Cortech jeans because they look basic and come with pouches for the knee pads built in. They are also reasonable priced.
Cortech DSX Denim Pants - Chaparral Motorsports

MNDZA

Welcome and enjoy

I got Raven Black and it is a great beginner bike. My short time this past week with the bike I put 17 miles on it, thats it. But I was very nervous and very hesitant to get on it. Till I just said to myself just do it. I was so surprised how easy this bike was to ride. If your careful with the throttle control you will have no problems. I'm just kicking myself in the ass for trying to ride it before I went to the MSF course, cause I dropped it very lightly. Now I feel comfortable on it I don't think I will drop it unless another vehicle has something to do with it. Anyway great choice for a new bike.

C

Crystal

I got Raven Black and it is a great beginner bike. My short time this past week with the bike I put 17 miles on it, thats it. But I was very nervous and very hesitant to get on it. Till I just said to myself just do it. I was so surprised how easy this bike was to ride. If your careful with the throttle control you will have no problems. I'm just kicking myself in the ass for trying to ride it before I went to the MSF course, cause I dropped it very lightly. Now I feel comfortable on it I don't think I will drop it unless another vehicle has something to do with it. Anyway great choice for a new bike.
Man I bought mine Saturday and it has almost 200 miles on it

B

Bates121

My biased opinion is buy the blue ;) j/k, that is what I own. I love the yamaha blue. Black would be my second choice though.

It's also a fact that the blue ones are the fastest. BTW i think someone already said this but frame sliders should be purchased immediately :rockon::rockon:

phocoyote7

With the blue you look fast just sitting at the lights :Sport:

MNDZA

It's also a fact that the blue ones are the fastest. BTW i think someone already said this but frame sliders should be purchased immediately :rockon::rockon:
Black is faster at night though.

G

goker

I'm taking my MSC this Friday-Sunday, and am looking to pick up an FZ6R sometime within the next 2 weeks (Blue or Raven, haven't decided yet).
How was the class? Where did you take it? Just curious if you were one of my buddy's students last weekend who happens to teach this class around here.

Did you get your bike yet? If not, where are you looking?

Comiha22

goker - I'm actually taking the class this Friday-Sunday at APEX Cycle Education in Woodbridge.

I haven't gotten my bike yet, but have settled on the Blue, and probably the dealer. Champion Motorsports in Sterling seems like a solid place, and I met one of the owners, who was super cool. They seem to have a good reputation and very competetive prices. I went to Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, but they didn't have any FZ6Rs in stock. They also gave off the 'giant dealership' vibe, as I walked around aimlessly before anyone even asked to help.

Do you know of any other good places in the area?