New Member, Interested Buyer Questions

mnutz

Hello all!

My name is Mike - everyone calls me Nutz. I have been riding motorcycles through the back roads of Kentucky for a few years now on a 1980 Honda CX500. It is my first and only motorcycle, and I am ready to move on to something that will spend more time on the road, and less in my shop!

So, I have been looking into purchasing a 2009 FZ6R, listed here. (Price listed in USD) I am actually planning on going to see it tomorrow, to see what I think of it in person!

I am looking for a motorcycle that would work well as a daily commuter (city/country), yet something that I can have tons of fun cutting through the twistys out in the hills. I will also be (FINALLY!) graduating from college in a few weeks, and want to travel; using a motorcycle to do it!

How well does the FZ6R work with what I am looking for? Also, has anyone else on here ridden an older motorcycle (or similar to the CX500), which could let me know what to expect when comparing the two?

I believe I have watched just about every review posted on Youtube, but I would like to actually talk to some owners!

Any and all information is appreciated!!

-Mike

MikeN02

Hello all!

My name is Mike - everyone calls me Nutz. I have been riding motorcycles through the back roads of Kentucky for a few years now on a 1980 Honda CX500. It is my first and only motorcycle, and I am ready to move on to something that will spend more time on the road, and less in my shop!

So, I have been looking into purchasing a 2009 FZ6R, listed here. (Price listed in USD) I am actually planning on going to see it tomorrow, to see what I think of it in person!

I am looking for a motorcycle that would work well as a daily commuter (city/country), yet something that I can have tons of fun cutting through the twistys out in the hills. I will also be (FINALLY!) graduating from college in a few weeks, and want to travel; using a motorcycle to do it!

How well does the FZ6R work with what I am looking for? Also, has anyone else on here ridden an older motorcycle (or similar to the CX500), which could let me know what to expect when comparing the two?

I believe I have watched just about every review posted on Youtube, but I would like to actually talk to some owners!

Any and all information is appreciated!!

-Mike
Looks like a private seller. If it is then go look up a general guideline of things to look for when looking/buying a used bike. I've typed it too many times and it's late, sorry. Otherwise if it's a dealership you're good since they have warranty for X amount of times.

Now I'm not sure about older bikes but I imagine carbs or something to that extent. The switch from that to Fuel Injection is unbelievable. Usually it's jerky for carbs but FI is smooth. Plus it's easier to maintain imo.

The FZ6-R sounds about right to what you're looking for. It has the look of a sport bike but the feel of a touring bike. Hence the Sport Touring. Another great option is the FZ1 or FZ8 if you want a little bit more power. When I had my FZ6-R it was VERY comfortable with it's upright riding position, so much that I could ride it everyday and made a few 2 hour trips out of the city and back in the same day.

One of the downsides I'm sure you've noticed is the lack of after-market parts. But I'm sure the market will pickup for it.

Fuel economy on it is great, if that's what you're looking for. About 44 mpg average compared to 34 36 mpg on other 600cc sport bikes.

As far as cutting it on the twisties I can't answer your question there. Most of FL roads are straights and so I'm not a twisties type of rider.

In summary, the thing I really miss about my FZ6-R is the fuel economy and how darn comfortable it was!

mnutz

Looks like a private seller. If it is then go look up a general guideline of things to look for when looking/buying a used bike. I've typed it too many times and it's late, sorry. Otherwise if it's a dealership you're good since they have warranty for X amount of times.
It is actually a little shop in Indiana which is selling it. They normally have >6 for sale at one time, all of which look VERY nice! ( link ) Should I still expect a lengthy warranty? How long is the original factory warranty from Yamaha?

One of the downsides I'm sure you've noticed is the lack of after-market parts. But I'm sure the market will pickup for it.
Yes, I was looking up some parts on ebay, but found little to nothing, really. It looks like we only have one main fender eliminator kit to choose from, and only the proton replacements for the front turn signals... Not what I like to see, but at the same time, I don't see myself doing a ton of mods!

I was, however, disappointed that a "Sport-Touring" motorcycle does not have any saddlebags for sale? I would only use them while traveling, but they would be nice to have for storing clothing!

And, as for the price... What do you think about a lightly-used FZ6R for $5k?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Ledgini

Hey Nutz, welcome to the forums.

This bike is awesome, if i crashed mine or it was stolen I would buy another without hesitation. I work in a Yamaha, Suzuki and Triumph dealer and get to ride pretty much all the bikes there on road tests. The XJ6 Diversion / FZ6R is my favourite bike by far and can do all the things you require of it.

When viewing the bike check the following.

1. Put your hand on the inside of the fairing, if it is smooth inside it is factory original, if it is rough, it has been replaced. Ask yourself why, usually says its been dropped.
2. Check for marks / scratches on both brake & clutch lever balls, the wheel nuts, forks, foot brake and gear shifter. Again signs if it has been dropped.
3. Check for any funny smoke from engine, exhuast. Could just be WD40 but you never know.
4. If it has full service history and lowish mileage you cant go wrong, these engines are pretty bullet proof so if the bike looks clean and has no signs of bad things, go for it.

My mate rides a 1984 Honda shadow and is the oldest bike I have ridden. Bikes have come a long way, the brakes on modern bikes are amazing, that is the biggest thing you will see, I hate riding my mates bike as braking on it is a nightmare once you have ridden and XJ6 / FZ6R. Also a fuel injection, electronically controlled engine is super reliable and has smooth power delivery.

With regards saddle bags, check out the giant loop grand basin bag, its is awesome as it will pack a hell of a lot of stuff in, is fully waterproof and also has straps for securing things on top of it like a tent etc ect.

Good luck and happy buying

Last edited:

mnutz

Well, it turns out that the bike was sold just the other day, and they had not taken down the craigslist ad. I went to three other dealerships today around the Cincinnati area, but had no luck on finding something within my budget... One dealership had two white 2009 FZ6R's, brand new, for ~$6,100 - a bit more than I would like to spend, as well as the wrong color! Oh well! I at least got the chance to take a look at a FZ6R in person, and sit on it!

ajskillz13

Well, it turns out that the bike was sold just the other day, and they had not taken down the craigslist ad. I went to three other dealerships today around the Cincinnati area, but had no luck on finding something within my budget... One dealership had two white 2009 FZ6R's, brand new, for ~$6,100 - a bit more than I would like to spend, as well as the wrong color! Oh well! I at least got the chance to take a look at a FZ6R in person, and sit on it!
Give these guys a call up in Jasper, IN. about an hour north of Owensboro, KY. That's where I got mine. Last time I was in there over the holidays they still had at least 1 2009 FZ6R. It was white with no graphics like mine. Pretty sure he was asking $4,999.

They don't move too quickly down there, so you might see what he has in stock.

Jasper, Indiana, Yamaha, Motorcycle, Scooter, ATV, Utility Vehicle, Generator, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel,Service, Financing Waverunner

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Patek86

I've used this bike for everyday and commuting as well as traveling. It seems to be the best of both worlds. It has plenty of balls and is an overall enjoyable ride.

With switching from an older motorcycle to the FZ6R, you'll notice a lot of differences. There will be an improvement in how quickly the throttle responds and how nice it leans into the turns.

As long as the price is within your range, you won't be upset with the purchase.

Good luck and safe riding.

ichimarugin

I'm thinking on buying proton flushmounts too. I have a question , do you need a signal relay ? and where it goes and where can I get it. Thanks