New Member asking about the FZ6R for my dad

buzzbomb

Elite Member

xinu

The Spyder your only ride? My brother has a 2012 RT and i love it. I really want to get the sport version eventually. Like you said getting older and the safety of the 3 wheels is becoming more appealing. Id love to be able to keep my sport bike too but the can ams are so expensive if i ever do get one im betting both my bikes will have to go.
I have the Spyder RSS and the 6R. We got the spyder exclusively for 2 up. Even though my ex VTX had a low seat height, I wasn't comfortable with the wife on the back in parking lots and other low speed situations. If I ever had a Monty Python moment with her on the back I would never hear the end of it. So she was all for going to 3 wheels and for me the spyder was the only viable choice.

Yes Spyders are expensive. Especially the RT versions. The RS models are thousands less but don't have the same rider comfort for long haul rides as the RTs. The sport models are fun but completely different than 2 wheel power. It's not the same experience compared to a bike. On a bike cornering is practically effortless verses the effort required during a spirited ride in the twisties on a spyder. That's why I got the 6R.

If you are interested in getting a Spyder I would suggest looking for used ones. Lots of people get the RS model and quickly upgrade to the RT. So there are lots of low mileage bargains out there. Can AM had all of the initial quality issues worked out by the 2012 model year. That is the year to get IMO. 2013 had design changes working towards the new generation of Spyders and had/has some heat issues.

latony007

I have the Spyder RSS and the 6R. We got the spyder exclusively for 2 up. Even though my ex VTX had a low seat height, I wasn't comfortable with the wife on the back in parking lots and other low speed situations. If I ever had a Monty Python moment with her on the back I would never hear the end of it. So she was all for going to 3 wheels and for me the spyder was the only viable choice.

Yes Spyders are expensive. Especially the RT versions. The RS models are thousands less but don't have the same rider comfort for long haul rides as the RTs. The sport models are fun but completely different than 2 wheel power. It's not the same experience compared to a bike. On a bike cornering is practically effortless verses the effort required during a spirited ride in the twisties on a spyder. That's why I got the 6R.

If you are interested in getting a Spyder I would suggest looking for used ones. Lots of people get the RS model and quickly upgrade to the RT. So there are lots of low mileage bargains out there. Can AM had all of the initial quality issues worked out by the 2012 model year. That is the year to get IMO. 2013 had design changes working towards the new generation of Spyders and had/has some heat issues.
Thanks for the info. I would love to have it for 2 up as well. I agree about the effort it takes to ride a spyder, i have put over 500 miles on one and going up like Angeles Crest its some effort if your going twisties at a good speed. Really the best thing about the can am IMO is the zero sphincter factor. I push the spyder to the limits and its a blast, why? because there is no fear of crashing or hitting and errant rock or oil patch. One of these days i will get one. I want the Sport and add matching hard bags and the passenger backrest.

xinu

Thanks for the info. I would love to have it for 2 up as well. I agree about the effort it takes to ride a spyder, i have put over 500 miles on one and going up like Angeles Crest its some effort if your going twisties at a good speed. Really the best thing about the can am IMO is the zero sphincter factor. I push the spyder to the limits and its a blast, why? because there is no fear of crashing or hitting and errant rock or oil patch. One of these days i will get one. I want the Sport and add matching hard bags and the passenger backrest.
I agree that safety is key and when you have no worries about road conditions there is no pucker factor and lets you enjoy the ride knowing the Spyder's nanny will have your back. My only advice is to always have a bike waiting in the wings when you feel the urge to squeeze your nether regions.

latony007

I agree that safety is key and when you have no worries about road conditions there is no pucker factor and lets you enjoy the ride knowing the Spyder's nanny will have your back. My only advice is to always have a bike waiting in the wings when you feel the urge to squeeze your nether regions.
Its funny you say that, he has a ninja 650 as well but the longer he has had the can am the less and less the ninja gets ridden. Plus you dont have to gear up on a can am so a quick trip to the store doesn't require riding pants and sleeves etc.

xinu

Its funny you say that, he has a ninja 650 as well but the longer he has had the can am the less and less the ninja gets ridden. Plus you dont have to gear up on a can am so a quick trip to the store doesn't require riding pants and sleeves etc.
I got it. I would love to live in a warmer climate. I have to gear up to ride either one just to say warm:)