New guy! Suggested Mods?

13FZ6R

New to the FZ6R community, and new to the bike world all together.
Got a new 2013 FZ6R a couple days ago with 0 miles on the odometer.
I've already done the following but im looking for suggestions on what else to do as im big on working on vehicles (I go to school for it and do it as a job). I hate the rear view mirrors on this bike but havnt found a good aftermarket mod for them.
Im interested in performance mods but my main focus now are esthetic mods.

CURRENT:
-Smoked Integrated Tail light
-Rear fender delete
-Proton flushed side markers
-1.75" Lowering link

ORDERED/READY TO INSTALL:
-Custom shorty levers
-Matte black Puig Windscreen
-carbon fiber tank protector
-carbon fiber fuel door accent
-rgb chassis glow
-Shogun Sliders
-FZ6R white grips

FUTURE:
-M2 Exhaust with carbon fiber tip
-Power Commander
-Rear seat cowl pearl white

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mrtho1

Wow, bike newb, didn't know there was so much available, all this looks awesome, will be looking into some of these myself.

13FZ6R

Im looking for any further suggestions on stuff other than this. I get the feeling there isnt much out there for the fz6r's. At least not nearly as much as whats out there for the ninja's and cbr's.

13FZ6R

So far its looking halfway decent getting rid of the stock turn signals and fender and lowering it..

13FZ6R

The main thing I cant find is an extension kit to kick the back tire out some. Anyone know of any?

adamo3957

The main thing I cant find is an extension kit to kick the back tire out some. Anyone know of any?

Don't do it...

It'll handle like sh!t...

If anything you could bring the wheel in,

perks of bringing wheel in

Short wheel base = more flick-able (turns quicker)
easier to wheelie, but not by much

Perks of extending swing arm...

Harder to wheelie (not easy as it is)
Reduced instability

Edit,

Also, if you don't need the lowering kit, remove it... lowering a bike makes it's handling worse... Refer to harleys etc that can't lean...

Last edited:

13FZ6R

Lowering was a must. Im 5'6" and was barely getting my footing. Now with the drop I can get decent footing.

And tank pads, are you meaning the sides of the tank? I already got the rear of the tank facing the seat with a pad

pkoko

Yes the pads to the side of the tank... Read this

1- The handle bars or clip-ons are there on the bike for control purposes and not for support. To get the most control, you need to be lose and relaxed while holding them. Our bikes are very sensitive to rider input. So you want to be as light and precise as possible. You should barely place any pressure on them. Not only you will feel more comfortable for long rides; you will have more control while riding. So if you aren't using them for support; where else can the needed support for your body come from? The support comes for your thighs and lower back. You need something sticky to keep your balance while pressing on the gas tank.

2- Under heavy braking, the entire weight of the bike shifts to the front. As a result novice riders place way more pressure on the handle bars in order to not fall off the bike. Ask yourself... Is it easier to modulate the brake lever with someone pushing you toward the handle bars or without? The answer is obvious. To achieve that you will need something to support your body so you can focus on braking. Tank pads help in that regard.

3- Under fast acceleration, the same principle applies but in reverse. You have a lot more control of the throttle if your arms are relaxed and you aren't holding on for dear life. Again your support comes from your thighs across the tank.

Here is a video that describes this that I found on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfN9Z6IlI0

Look at the body position and notice how the rider is asked to use his thighs for body support.

13FZ6R

Ok. Do you have any suggested ones that give an oem look to the bike? Or any links to sites that have them?

mrtho1

K, again, bike newb here, I see that you mention Shogun Sliders, I've seen these mentioned more than once and they seem to get positive responses. After reading the product page it looks like you have to cut through the fairings to attach? I've also read about no-cut frame sliders but they don't seem to get as good reviews? I've no desire to attempt to cut through my own fairings myself, but I want some good frame sliders. Advice?

m3tric

I've also read about no-cut frame sliders but they don't seem to get as good reviews? I've no desire to attempt to cut through my own fairings myself, but I want some good frame sliders. Advice?
I'm pretty happy with my no-cut Trex frame sliders. They look sharp too

latony007

i wanted some tank pads but talk about over priced for a couple pieces of plastic. Let us know if you find any cheap ones.

13FZ6R

The rear tank pad I got a custom one for about $40 but you can get one for $5. The side tank pads from stomp grip look like theyre worth the $45 I paid.

etrnalone

Only thing I can think of would be some new foot pegs and mayve some dress up brake lines and maybe some new grips. I like the gel grips but be prepared to change them out regularly. My gas one is starting to look a little rough from wear after about a year