New Goodies - Long Post with Pics

bigguybbr

I was just reading posts about gear everyone is getting which made me decide to make a post about my off season purchases of goodies. I worked a ton of overtime at my job before around the holidays, and then received a promotion shortly after so i decided to reward myself with some new goodies, and here they are:

1) Targa Fender Eliminator :
I just added a rear fender eliminator to my bike . I still have to go out and get a few red reflective licence plate bolts to strictly meet regulations in CT of having a rear reflector. I might mount them up with and elbow bracket so i can have them on the rear and then at a 90 degree angle to the sides of the license plate. I Just have to be careful that I don't fold it right over if i catch a bump. I'm also adding reflective wheel stripes to help the side visibility a bit. The good part other than it looking a whole lot better to me is that it shaves a few lbs off the bike. An amazing amount of that old fender was thick steel.

2) Yamaha Clear Raised Bubble Windscreen:
I also added this week a new raised bubble windscreen. Unfortunately this pics remind me how dirty my bike is sitting in the garage all winter.

3) Scala Rider Q2 Multiset:
Off of motorcyclegear.com (the old newenough.com) I just picked up a Scala Rider Q2 helmet to helmet intercom set. It's a complete steal for the pair at $169.99 on clearance, cheaper than a single chatter box headset. This should save the fiancée and me from yelling and making hand gestures at stop lights to try and get our point across.

4) Boots:
Cyclegear was having some awesome new years day deals and I picked that time to pick up a bunch of new riding gear for the season. First up was a set of Frank Thomas Urban Stunt Boots

I wanted a set of boots that provide decent protection, but are also comfortable to walk around in if I know I'm going somewhere where i'm going to be off the bike for a while. The price was awesome too, only $29.99 on close out.

5) Pants:
Next I bought myself my first pair of motorcycle pants, Frank Thomas XTI II mesh pants. I'm really excited for these in the upcoming riding season. They zip nicely into the back of my jacket to stop my jacket from riding up and keep whole back well protected. The only part that is really mesh on these pants are on the inside of the legs, the rest is something like cordura nylon.

These were also an absolute steal at only $34.99 on clearance on new years day.

6) Gloves:
For the beginning of riding season I picked up some antifreeze glove liners ($29.99 from motorcyclegear.com).They are designed to help block the wind and keep some heat inside your hands while out in the cold. I got these for when I start to ride into work and it's in the 30's (Fahrenheit, or 0 for any of you Canadians). These are super thin and fit nicely inside of my Cortech Injector gloves that I picked up at the end of last season. The injector gloves seem to run a little small, so if you find them be sure to order a size larger.

7) Helmet:
As for a new lid, I picked up a scorpion exo-400 ($49.99 all over the web for the scar and tsunami graphics)

These also seem to run a bit small (or my head just runs a bit fat), or at the very least smaller than my old HJC CL-SP helmet. The good part is if you find the helmet to be too tight, you can order a new liner in a different size for about $30 or cheek pads to help refine the fit. This helmet gets excellent protection ratings on SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

For $19.99, I also decided to get a tinted visor. The bronze color goes well with the matte black and gold-ish helmet, and the visor is lightly smoked which will make it a please to not have to wear sunglasses under my helmet. I found out on my 6 hour ride to Lake George that it can give you an amazing head ache having them pinch for a long time. The visor also boasts a "a thermally bonded anti-fog coating" which will be a welcome addition.

8) Jacket:
At the end of last season I happened upon probably my best bargain to date. I was wandering around one of the dealerships in the area and happened upon a brand new RevIt! Phoenix Jacket for only $200 (MSRP is generally around $400!). I can't say enough good about this jacket. It is amazing. It's very form fitting with elastic along the entire length of the arms and torso completely eliminating any buffeting from your jacket flapping in the wind at highway speed. It is vented heavy duty mesh on the chest and perforated leather and CE armor at the shoulders, back, and elbows.

The only short fall of the Phoenix jacket is that the flimsy armor in the back. It was very soft and made more for flow through than for protection. I fixed this with Teknic TP2 back armor for $26.99 from motorcycle-superstore

So I have been doing a lot of shopping (although mostly bargain shopping, got a mortgage and a wedding to pay for) to get ready for this upcoming riding season.

What has everyone else gotten to get ready for this year?

Attachments

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Nice stuff, especially that windshield. ;) Glad to see all that gear included in the stuff. :thumbup: ATGATT is the only way to ride. Great choices!!!

bigguybbr

Nice stuff, especially that windshield. ;) Glad to see all that gear included in the stuff. :thumbup: ATGATT is the only way to ride. Great choices!!!
Wonder where I got that??? I actually got in trouble with the fiancée over that. She bought me a new raised bubble for my birthday, and it showed up at the house maybe 2 hours after I got yours in the mail. She didn't know I was buying yours. I might have forgotten to mention it. Wups...

Now I posted the new one for sale on craigslist. She got it off motosport-monster which has a 20% restocking fee, so f-that.

Last edited:

Detrich

lol... I haven't seen Ranma in years. Nice avatar. ^_^

bigguybbr

Yeah like I said, it was a killer sale. Now if only I could get out and use any of that stuff it would be amazing!!!!

bigguybbr

lol... I haven't seen Ranma in years. Nice avatar. ^_^
Ha ha, it's funny, I didn't plan to have Genma as my avatar, but when I was searching my PC for a small pic to use, there he was...

Detrich

panda power! lol... xP

quick question about the back protector... i have one just like it for my suit, and i've been wearing mine with the flat side facing my back and the lumpy side facing out. but wasn't sure if i had it on backwards all this time or not? which way is it supposed to go? lol

bigguybbr

panda power! lol... xP

quick question about the back protector... i have one just like it for my suit, and i've been wearing mine with the flat side facing my back and the lumpy side facing out. but wasn't sure if i had it on backwards all this time or not? which way is it supposed to go? lol
Ha ha!

Thats how I am wearing mine, so i'm going to assume it's right until told otherwise (by someone who probably knows better).

And hells yeah I had some fun! I had boxes at my door every few days for a while there :thumbup:

Detrich

Cool cool. At least I'm not the only one wearing it wrong- if it's wrong. LOL

bigguybbr

found this on zx forums, might be your new helmet

Detrich

hahahahahaha.... i'm not THAT crazy... tho, i can see it being funny for halloween. panda on a sport bike. xP