New FZ6R

lolKnee

After nearly 4 decades of life and my recent recovery from knee ligament damage I have decided to get into riding a bike.

Three months of internet and personal research and my experience in the safety class have led me to the FZ6R.

My road test is the morning of the 11th and, should I pass, it will be directly to the dealership near me.

Any advice on the very initial stages...that is, purchasing the bike, equipment, packages, etc?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

djf18374

First and foremost, Gear! At the least a helmet, jacket with some sort of CE armor in it, and riding gloves. You will thank me the first time you go down ;) Boots and riding pants can come later, but I recommend them if you can swing the added cost.
Secondly, frame sliders a great idea, especially if you have not ridden much on the street. One mishap, and it is at least $400 to fix or buy a new painted fairing and turn signals. Sliders will help to minimize/prevent any damage to engine covers, fairings, and other expensive components.
Other than that, just go with what catches your eye and customize your new toy to fit YOU. Make sure you do your research and use the SEARCH feature on here to gather input for your prospective modding :)

Welcome!:thumbup:

lolKnee

Thank you for the advice man.

I have a nice leather jacket and gloves picked out from the Vanson website. I figure I can wear my work boots. As for pants I was thinking that my heavy denim will be fine.

As for keeping up with friend
(a) I am more of a solo rider and
(b) I am far too old at this point to try and prove how big my penis is by driving like a lunatic.

I am glad you approve of the bike choice. I originally was looking at the Honda CBR600 and the Yam R6. I went against the CBR on cost and then eventually the R6 got nixed because of comfort.

I see a lot of forums saying to get a 250. My class was with a 250 however and I would not feel safe on a highway with one of those. Evasive action impossible.

Do you suggest extras? Not like a 2 brothers exhaust. Again, not worried about stuff like that. But Tank protector (I can't figure out if that is a brilliant way to save your bike from scratches or a dumb waste of money) or other things -- def sliders. I like the color of this bike just fine without rashes?

Also, regarding helmet....Im still torn between full and 3/4 face -- the argument being safety vs. sweaty.

djf18374

Thank you for the advice man.

I have a nice leather jacket and gloves picked out from the Vanson website. I figure I can wear my work boots. As for pants I was thinking that my heavy denim will be fine.

As for keeping up with friend
(a) I am more of a solo rider and
(b) I am far too old at this point to try and prove how big my penis is by driving like a lunatic.

I am glad you approve of the bike choice. I originally was looking at the Honda CBR600 and the Yam R6. I went against the CBR on cost and then eventually the R6 got nixed because of comfort.

I see a lot of forums saying to get a 250. My class was with a 250 however and I would not feel safe on a highway with one of those. Evasive action impossible.

Do you suggest extras? Not like a 2 brothers exhaust. Again, not worried about stuff like that. But Tank protector (I can't figure out if that is a brilliant way to save your bike from scratches or a dumb waste of money) or other things -- def sliders. I like the color of this bike just fine without rashes?

Also, regarding helmet....Im still torn between full and 3/4 face -- the argument being safety vs. sweaty.
Well, as you can see in my signature, I have done a bit of modification. Not a lot, but some really nice stuff. I recommend doing the tank protector for sure! It dresses up the tank and protects really really well against keys, zippers, etc. I did not have it initially and regret it, cuz the first week I had my bike i sat sideways on the seat in a parking lot and my keys scratched the sh** outta my tank. Luckily I could cover the scratch with the tank pad :)
I really enjoy having my center stand from SW Motech. It fit up perfectly and allows for easy parking, storage, maintenance and peace of mind. Wonderful addition!
I also have the TRex sliders, which look great, were cheap, and are strong! They were a breeze to install too.
The 17tooth front sprocket will bring your RPMs down a little on the highway and corrects the speedometer, that is 6% high from the factory.
If you are taller (6 foot or more) You will probably wanna geta taller windscreen, such as Puig touring, or Yamaha DB clear screen.
Talk to Marthy too if you want a really nice hand made screen!

Personally, I am handy with tools and a welder, so I made my exhaust mod custom to increase the dB's a little bit. I love the sound, and it allows me to get noticed easier on the road. I don't get cut off anymore while riding, and that was my goal. It is not LOUD but tasteful and full rich deep tone.

Most important is the gear though, and I will never buy anything but a full face helmet! The thought of my chin and jaw slamming into the ground at any speed is enough to give me nightmares.... I want to be able to eat, drink, and talk. That might be difficult with no bottom jaw left...just sayin :surrender:

Here's my 2 cents, full face helmet, leather gloves and jacket to start and frame sliders. Everything else can come later and ride with in your limit. Ride safe my friend.

lolKnee

Thanks again for the sound advice. I had a feeling about the tank protector, but there is so much stuff in this world that one can get convinced is useful and the only real purpose is to reduce drag by making your wallet lighter. But from what you say this seems like a good idea.

Your mods on the stock exhaust sounds awesome. I, unfortuantley, do not have the same skill set as you and would have to find someone to do that for me or possibly replace it if I ever decide I wanted a different sound. I thought it was all vanity and haven't thought about scaring off would be cutters. Makes me think twice.

Is a center stand just what it wounds like, a kickstand geared towards the center with two legs for stability? if so, seems like a def. also, living in New York a cover seems like a good idea.

I am 6ft on the nose so i think i will give the bike a few weeks and a few situations before deciding if my height and my riding style require a taller windscreen.

As for the full face helmet, I thought the same thing. My worry to counter that was getting sweaty and having my eye sting and not being able to see. I am pretty sure sight is a pre-req for driving. However, I am sure if I am willing to pony up a little extra dough i can find a full face with some kind of technology that will create some air flow.

I've noticed some people sell bluetooth capable helmets so you can talk on the phone.

This is, I think, the worst idea I have ever heard as concentration might be better spend, ya know, riding and also -- I am getting this bike for the sense of freedom and fun not so i can argue with my job and family at higher speeds.

Well, as you can see in my signature, I have done a bit of modification. Not a lot, but some really nice stuff. I recommend doing the tank protector for sure! It dresses up the tank and protects really really well against keys, zippers, etc. I did not have it initially and regret it, cuz the first week I had my bike i sat sideways on the seat in a parking lot and my keys scratched the sh** outta my tank. Luckily I could cover the scratch with the tank pad :)
I really enjoy having my center stand from SW Motech. It fit up perfectly and allows for easy parking, storage, maintenance and peace of mind. Wonderful addition!
I also have the TRex sliders, which look great, were cheap, and are strong! They were a breeze to install too.
The 17tooth front sprocket will bring your RPMs down a little on the highway and corrects the speedometer, that is 6% high from the factory.
If you are taller (6 foot or more) You will probably wanna geta taller windscreen, such as Puig touring, or Yamaha DB clear screen.
Talk to Marthy too if you want a really nice hand made screen!

Personally, I am handy with tools and a welder, so I made my exhaust mod custom to increase the dB's a little bit. I love the sound, and it allows me to get noticed easier on the road. I don't get cut off anymore while riding, and that was my goal. It is not LOUD but tasteful and full rich deep tone.

Most important is the gear though, and I will never buy anything but a full face helmet! The thought of my chin and jaw slamming into the ground at any speed is enough to give me nightmares.... I want to be able to eat, drink, and talk. That might be difficult with no bottom jaw left...just sayin :surrender:

AngryAnt

+1 to Frame Sliders. $60 for no-cuts are well worth it if its your first bike, and worth many times their price if you drop it...

CDN6R

I am far too old at this point to try and prove how big my penis is by driving like a lunatic.

:rof::rof::rof::rof: Very well put!! I too am to old to attempt such things,,although 25-30 years ago I did on various Super Sport bikes. Welcome and congrats on the 6R,,these are great bikes for just all out riding and light sport touring...:canada: Laurie

motoguy82

I like your attitude! All the modifications above are great. One you may consider down the line is a lockable tail luggage box. I got the Givi V46, but I think there are other options out there. It's very nice to be able to park the bike and lock your helmet, gloves, and jacket in it and not worry about them getting stolen or having to carry them around. And of course for any long trips it can hold clothes, food, etc. You seem interested in function over coolness.

Link to what it looks like: Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - motoguy82's Album: 2010 JX6

CrazyCawi

First and foremost, Gear! At the least a helmet, jacket with some sort of CE armor in it, and riding gloves. You will thank me the first time you go down ;) Boots and riding pants can come later, but I recommend them if you can swing the added cost.
Secondly, frame sliders a great idea, especially if you have not ridden much on the street. One mishap, and it is at least $400 to fix or buy a new painted fairing and turn signals. Sliders will help to minimize/prevent any damage to engine covers, fairings, and other expensive components.
Other than that, just go with what catches your eye and customize your new toy to fit YOU. Make sure you do your research and use the SEARCH feature on here to gather input for your prospective modding :)

Welcome!:thumbup:

Dean I couldnt have said it better myself. Thanks!

BTW :welcome:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

lolKnee

Thanks Laurie! I will try and keep active here it seems like a very helpful group.

I am far too old at this point to try and prove how big my penis is by driving like a lunatic.

:rof::rof::rof::rof: Very well put!! I too am to old to attempt such things,,although 25-30 years ago I did on various Super Sport bikes. Welcome and congrats on the 6R,,these are great bikes for just all out riding and light sport touring...:canada: Laurie